Options

Good GPS for an Ultra

Hi,I currently use the Tom tom cardio - good watch but the battery is only good for 6 hours or so - I need something that will go for longer.  Ideally with HRM, mapping Etc.  Suggestions?

TA!

Comments

• Options
    Fenix 3 might be worth a look.
  • Options

Then again it might not be. The Fenix 3 has suffered quite a lot of battery drain issues on recent firmware, and might be very hit and miss for an ultra. I wouldn't want to tell someone to chance it, in case they were one of the unlucky ones. The QA on the Fenix 3 is distinctly slapdash right now- releases are coming thick and fast, but it's somewhat volatile.

If you are wedded to the idea of the obvious Garmin ecosystem, a 920xt is a lot more stable, and would probably make it even without ultratrac mode- but with it on, easily. Obviously don't do daft stuff like having a Bluetooth link on to a mobile phone or anything at the same time.

Personally I'd prefer to spend less and get a simpler, more reliable device, maybe a Polar V800. It has fewer shiny bells and whistles, but all the necessary core features in a reliable and predictable form- and really solid battery life.

If you are totally set on mapping, the old Fenix 2 is an option. The Fenix 3 had the mapping removed, as Garmin wanted to sell the Epix mapping watch. Sadly, the Epix is expensive, buggy and neglected- and should be avoided. I don't know what the Leikr(sp?) battery life is like, so do your own research if curious. However, I would forget about mapping on the watch, as it is generally a second-rate option where available- as well as a battery killer.

• Options
    Hey my Fenix after having its battery probs the other week is as right as rain. Right back to normal. Very odd. I think just running it down completely reset it some how.
  • Options

Awesome, pleased for youimage

However, they have caused plenty of other people unpredictable issues, so I would not chance it. The team working on the Fenix 3 seem to be cramming so many features in, on such a short development cycle, that quality really suffers and reliability isn't what it should be for quite a few people. 

• Options
    eltonionieltonioni ✭✭✭

Won't the Tom Tom charge with a portable phone charger while in use? I know that my  Ambit3 will, not that I do ultras.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Garmin 310xt dirt cheap.

expensive but the dogs danglies for IQ Apps etc... Fenix 3.

Epson 610? I think can do 30 hours, not sure if it can be recharged on the go.

garmin 910 good, 920 not so good cannot be charged on the go.

Any of the suunto ambit range, not as exciting as the Fenix 3. But, some users say more accurate GPS and pretty rock solid have a large ultra following.

i've got the Fenix 3 and love it, it's an every day watch as well as a running watch.

• Options

The Tom tom is excellent - but you cant charge on the go - thats the major issue for me.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I've got a Suunto ambit 2. A couple of the reasons I got it was because of the excellent battery life and barometric altimeter as I thought I might use it for some climbing, fell running and multiday hikes. Since getting it however I've only been running locally so not really getting the most out of it. 

It's performed really well for me. I've not had any issues with the GPS (about 250 runs) and find it seems to be more accurate that some of my mates GPSs which will often show that they've run across a lake or something like that. The HRM strap died after a few months. Suunto sent me a new one which is fine so far, although I don't use it much. Runs upload automatically to Strava. Occasionally it takes a few hours but usually it's pretty quick.

I think you can still get them off the Suunto website for £210.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Forgot to add that it doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity. You have to go to the Ambit 3 for that, which I think is about £350.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Check out dcrainmaker.com

He has reviewed just about everything so if you want an opinion from someone with a huge overview of the units in your shortlist then that is the place to go.
  • Options
    eltonionieltonioni ✭✭✭
    HA77 wrote (see)

Forgot to add that it doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity. You have to go to the Ambit 3 for that, which I think is about £350.

I've only got experience of the Ambit3 Sport but you can find it for around £185 at the moment (it looks like the Ambit4 might finally be on the way) which is pretty good value. I've found the Polar H7 strap (£40ish) makes a solid combo with the Ambit3. Battery life of the Sport model is 10h+ on high accuracy but it will charge on the go and if carrying a lipstick charger isn't an attractive idea the Peak model does about 20h. As mentioned above, the Ambit is pretty bombproof and I've always found it to be bang on accurate even in forest and around tall buildings.  

The Fenix is definitely more jazzy though. image