Options

First time VLM spectator.... any tips?

Hi all..... Long time....

The O/H is running the marathon on Sunday and I'm looking to make the most of the day... see as much of the course as possible, be at places that I can be seen.... etc. etc...

I've never been down to see the race before and thought you guys might be able to help with some prime locations so that I can get the most our of it?

Plan is to drive down to Ruislip on Saturday and get the tube to London Bridge where we're staying then head to Excel to register.

On the Sunday the plan is:
To the start in Greenwich Park,
Walk up to Cutty Sark area,
Through the Pedestrian tunnel and go to Mudchute area.
Then try and get a boris bike and go to various points along the route back to Buck Pal.

Any comments on whether this is a good / bad idea? Will there be Boris' available or are they likely to all be taken?

Suggestions for places after Mudchute?

Thanks in anticipation.

MTH

Comments

• Options
    Greenwich is heaving. Great atmosphere but so busy. There's a long road at the 10m point that I always think would be good to spectate from. Plenty of grass. Plenty of space.
  • Options

Having been on both sides of the fence over the years:

Unless you've agreed the exact spot where you're going to be standing you are very unlikely to spot your O/H or vice versa.  

If you're trying to get to Cutty Sark after the race has started you'll be at the back of the crowd.  

Mudchute area is probably best chance to get close to the barriers.

I'd bin the idea of the Boris bike, pavements are going to be rammed.

• Options
    Agree that a Boris bike probably isn't the best idea, and in fact many of the docking stations may be out of use on the day. Using the Tube and DLR is probably the best way to get around - DLR between Cutty Sark and Canary Wharf, Jubilee Line and walk across one of the bridges to catch up later on (Blackfriars/Embankment). And yes, Mudchute's a good place to get a clear view. Bring a flag or wear something really visible so your runner can see you - much easier than trying to spot them. Decathlon do good collapsible fishing poles that can be used to fly flags or banners, up to 6m long, for about a tenner.
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Don't trip the runners up image

Oh and unless you are within half a mile of the finish DO NOT SAY you are nearly there, because it's a bloody lie and really infuriating image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Once you've said your goodbyes and good lucks in Greenwich Park, I would head straight to Creek Road (~7 miles), i.e. a bit further up from the busiest part of Greenwich.  You can see a long way down the road, so although the crowds are still busy there's a good chance you'll see each other. Forget the foot tunnel; as soon as your O/H has passed, navigate your way through the back streets to Greenwich DLR (NOT Cutty Sark DLR) and head for the Docklands.  There are a few options here, although my preferred recommendation is to head for Westferry.  Here you can see runners at 15 miles as they come East from the Highway/Narrow Street, and then again 100 yards up the road (West India Dock Road) at 20.5 miles. It's fun to see the contrast in running styles and gurns at the two points.  image  Then it's up to you whether you try to negotiate DLR/tube quickly enough to see your O/H again before the finish, but anywhere along the Embankment is mayhem, and you might be better off just heading towards the meeting point at the finish.  And yeah, forget Boris bikes.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

My "others" aren't bothering as getting to different points around the course has proved too stressful with all the crowds. I would try and keep it simple as poss, Phil's recommendation above sounds good.

• Options

I find the following places good for spectating. Start, Greenwich (mile 7), South Quay (mile 18), Monument (mile 23). My wife ran a 4hr marathon and managed to see her at all these places and travelling in between wasn't bad. Managed to get something to eat/drink at Canary Wharf after Greenwich.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

Phil`s suggestions look great.

My family will be setting up camp on Blackfrairs Bridge where the runners come out of the underpass. They aren`t going to bother trying to follow me round as it hasn`t really worked in the past.

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother with the start, it's so busy with runners that anyone else just gets in the way. You're still fresh and with the adrenaline the first miles fly past. My lot started at Bermondsey at 11 miles, big long road with good views and it was a good mark to aim for. Phil's suggestion for 15/20 miles is excellent. Carry something like a balloon or sign high on a pole that is easy to see or you'll miss each other. Never ever say 'you're nearly there'. Tell runners they're looking good, or looking fresh, or just a bit more than 'well done'. Have a contingency if it all goes wrong cos you may not get a mobile signal. Have a great day!
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Start & Cutty Sark will be absolutely rammed, you OH will have little chance of seeing you, or you them.

Best place is mile 19, get the DLR to Canary Wharf and then walk along course to the 19 marker. The bit before Aspen way is v quiet and you'll see your OH easily, and them you!

The back on DLR to Tower gateway and tube to Westminster to see them at finish.
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

It's really annoying as a runner trying to spot someone in a crowd of spectators without knowing exactly where they're going to be and without them being very visible. So, be as specific as you can about where you're going to be and carry a balloon. A foil one that's filled with helium - the bigger the better.  Also wear something very bright.

From memory (and it's been a while) the right turn at Surrey Quays is quite a good spot.  

• Options

Forget the start (or at least, don't hang around, just say goodbye and leave OH to it.  You're not allowed in the main start areas anyway.  My family do Canada Water (left side of the course for access to the tube), Jubilee line to Canary Wharf (not so many people there, fairly easy to spot runners/spectators as long as you're not just around a corner), back on Jubilee Line to Westminster for a spot a mile from the finish, very close to the Horseguards meeting point.  Very easy, but try & agree which side of the course you'll be on if you want a good chance of spotting each other.  If you're on opposite sides there's no chance, especially if you're mid pack with the biggest density of runners.

• Options

Thanks Everyone.

Bin off the Boris Bike - Check.

Bin off the start - Check.

Flagpole ordered - Check

Unique flag ordered - Check.

Bright orange coat  - Check.

• Options

Phil's idea is good. When I ran London my partner went ti Westferry and spotted me at 15 miles and again the other side. To make sure we both knew where he'd be we actually popped to Westferry after picking up my number. We then wandered along the course til I spotted a suitable place for him to be. Worked great knowing exactly where I'd see him. 

• Options

Please note that, for those of us who go completely to pieces after 17 or 18 miles, no amount of shouting will arouse us from our focus on the pain and the need simply to finish. In 2013 my family say they were practically shouting in my ear, and I heard them not. Try a bit earlier on the course if the people you're shouting for are like me.

• Options
    A respectful silence from about 18 miles on is perfect - thanks. No amount of shouting can power my legs sadly....
  • Options

Having been round that London loop 6 times now, my wife told me, with much hilarity, of the plans that one of her work colleagues had for spectating and supporting. She put them right.
    Any ideas that you have about crossing the road, for example at mile 13/20 (is it 20?): forget them. If you are at 13, you're stuck.

I know that it's possible to do pre-start, Greenwich, tunnel, Docklands (2 spots), Monument, and Horse Guards. In reality, that's just too damn hard. You need to be marathon fit yourself. Seriously.

Wifey did manage to focus on the Jubilee Line and do 2 spots at Docklands, (although we missed one), and then Monument. The critical element is the runner. They really must hold up their half of the bargain. Pacing must be metronomic, and the time to cross the start line is critical to the calculations.
    3 hour pace- 20 seconds to cross.
    3:15 pace - 2 minutes
    4 hour pace - 15 minutes?
    Last person across was 20 minutes.
    When recalculating, one thing that you don't know as a spectator is where EXACTLY you are on the course. One thing that you do know? The runner won't get quicker.
    Don't let them rely on you to provide gels. You are going to miss that meet up.

If you see Cougie, tell him he looks like sh!t. That'll cheer him up. Even at mile 3.

• Options

IIRC there's an underpass around 14/21 miles so swapping sides on the Highway is possible

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

So how did it go? The spectators were fun. image

• Options

Thanks to Philpub and Rodent especially.  Combination of a huge, unique flag and your advice meant that I saw/and was seen at:

Creek Road (between 11km and 7m marks)

Westferry (just before 15m right outside the station)

Westferry (at about 20.5).

Also managed to get to embankment and see (but not be seen) just shy of the 25m marker. 

Really useful.  If anyones looking to do this in future I can recommend a 5m extendible flag pole (about a fiver from a camping shop) and a 3ft by 5 ft flag.  Sits way above most other signs and doesn't annoy anyone in the crowd by blocking their view.

Thanks again.

• Options

Oh, and if anyone saw a big Union Jack type flag, but with green instead of blue.  And, GO JENNY, written on it, that was me image

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz78/Thomas_Nathaniel_Hender/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7731_zpsohvfapxg.jpg

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Glad to see that I did all the right things to annoy Cougieimage

• Options

Good work image. Although it was a bit windy for flags yesterday - had a few issues myself.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Decathlon do good collapsible fishing poles that can be used to fly flags or banners, up to 6m long, for about a tenner.

Is this what you mean, Rodent? image

• Options
  • Options
    Cheers Womble - good to see you!!
  • Options

Thanks MrTH.  I was cautioned off the other sort for not being sturdy enough.  As these seem to be made for flags they should be ideal