Options

Minimum number of runs a week during marathon training?

Hi there,

I started training for my first marathon earlier in the year. I got to 13 miles and started to have IT band issues. This then developed into something else (physio can't diagnose), currently I can't run at all without getting pain in my thighs. The thigh pain has been going on for 5 weeks now. I have decided to join the gym and really work on strengthening my body so hopefully when I eventually return to running my body will be less likely to get injured.

I am so disappointed I had to pull out for my first marathon. I guess it must be pretty common though! After watching the London marathon at the weekend, I feel so inspired to give it another shot next Spring.

I was doing 4/5 runs a week. I"m just wondering if anyone has ever come across a plan that includes a mixture of running and cross training? Could you successfully train for a marathon with say, 3 runs and 1 or 2 cross training sessions?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Options

Really useful, thanks.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

There's a book, Run Less, Run Faster, that has plans incorporating cross training. I bought it a few years ago but decided against it as I'd rather just run. It's curre sitting on my book shelf gathering dust, so if you want it feel free to PM me. Happy for it to go free to a new home!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Clag, why is there then a picture of a bike next to your post?

🙂

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    It's my bike - used to do a lot of biking but that's gone by the wayside over the last couple of years. Should probably change it to something running related!
  • Options
    I just did Brighton Marathon off 3 runs a week plus cross training. Target time set at the start of my 16 week plan (based on a previous marathon from a few years ago of 4.19, plus some more recent times/paces from some runs I'd done) was what I thought was a slightly ambitious 4 hours. I came in at 3.58.10. Could have I have done quicker with more running sessions each week? I don't know. But I do think based on my training and running ability that I did what was about the best I could do on the day, so in a sense 3 runs a week definitely worked for me.

I used the Run Less Run Faster (FIRST) as a basis, but tweaked it slightly in how I built up the long runs, and also did more (and at times more intense) cross training than in that plan.

I really liked the fact that every run had a purpose and there was no 'just general running' sessions. I also worked well with having target paces that are specified in the plan as I like structure and a clear aim! I found some of the paces for the interval runs challenging but they were achievable with some effort, and at times I found that I could manage faster. The way the plan is structured also meant I found it good in terms of tracking progress.

I came into the plan with quite a good fitness base as I am a rower, and I used rowing (both on the machine and on the water) as my cross training sessions. I found the variety of doing more than just running meant it never felt too much of a chore to get the 3 running sessions done each week.

There's also an app as well as the book for the Run Less Run Faster, which will give you all the paces for the runs if you input your target time - I think it might have cost a quid or two to download but saved looking it all up in the tables in the book, and was just useful for me to have it all on the phone. The book has a load more supplementary info though which some people would want to read.

And finally I believe that one of the key things for me was that when I was looking at plans and working out what to use I ended up with something I believed in - from the outset I liked it, I thought it would be manageable, and I thought that the way it was structured suited as the kind of training that I know works well for me and which I get results from. I'm not massively into saying stuff like this but whatever plan you go with has to be something you're prepared to sign up to and believe in. If you don't think you like it then it's probably the wrong plan!
  • Options

Wow thank you Clag, that's so kind of you! I will PM you. Thank you so much Reemanator, that is just what I needed to hear. Although I could easily be happy doing 5 runs a week I'm not sure my legs will be up to it given the problems I've had for the past few months. It's really reassuring to hear others have done it. Amazing time too!

• Options

There's also the Shades marathon training thread. I just got a pb at Brighton following the basic plan which has three runs a week and an optional 4th. I intended to do more cross training but was massively pressed for time due to work this winter.

I barely broke 30 miles per week at the max and still took 12 mins off my previous time. 

• Options

Thanks Catalin, I check that thread out. Reassuring you still did better with less runs!