Options

Lateral foot pain possibly cuboid related

Anyone got experience with lateral foot pain? I went for a run on Tuesday evening with no problems. Later that night I got up off the sofa and had a sharp pain in my foot. Two days later it still hurts to walk or weight bare and foot has a dull ache when resting. Pain is on the outside and top of foot around the cuboid bone and radiates to the little toe and ankle when walking. Questions is what to do next? Watch and wait for a few days? See GP? Though o suspect they'd just tell me to rest See hospital and try and get x-Ray? (I'm pretty sure it's not a stress fracture as, although it hurts it doesn't feel painful enough to be broken) See physio? See podiatrist? I'd quite like yo get it sorted as I'm supposed to be doing a half in 2.5 weeks. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I don't know much about stress fractures in the cuboid but I think they're reasonably common around the 5th metatarsal base, which is right next to the cuboid. Stress fractures aren't typically very painful like a traumatic fracture so it might be worthwhile getting an x-ray to check. I've had a navicular stress fracture that presented as just a dull ache.

If there is no fracture I would be seeing a physio but make sure they've got some expertise in running. I think a podiatrist might be ok if it's just an isolated foot problem but if it's related to lower limb biomechanics a physio would probably be better. Actually I've not got much experience with podiatrists other than supplying orthotics so I don't really know what they'd do to get you to the start line in a couple of weeks. 

Good luck.

• Options
    MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭
  • Options

Thanks for your responses. I haven't managed to see anyone yet but have an appointment with a physio next week. Foot still aches but a lot less than a few days ago.

Martenkay, thanks for your post. Was helpful to prod aaround my foot, there definitely is a tender spot in the hollow space between ankle and cuboid. Not sure about orthotics as I've run for 20 years without them but will see what advice I get.

• Options

Oh my goodness...on taper now ready for Stoke Marathon. Beginning of my training I went over on my right foot,didn't really think much of it. I have googled the same as I believe that my cubiod bone has an injury. After long runs more so, dull ache which is really painful,it feels like you have ill fitting shoes on hut I know I don't. Apparently runners and dancers get it!!!! No pain in ankle,just really tender on that part outside of the foot. May need to book an appointment once marathon is over.xx

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

i have a niggle on what might be 5th metatarsal base. This has been present since just before a marathon a month ago and after a week off then reverse taper. 

I do worry about it being a precursor to a stress fracture ('jones fracture?') but while annoying it doesn't appear to be affecting my running. I guess a medical opinion is in order.

Still if anyone has experience of managing this  kind of thing and preventing stress fractures I'm all ears