Options

Knee Pain Advice

Hi, I'm new to running started 3 weeks ago. I'm training for a 10k run in September. I started to get pain just to the side of my knees where the thigh meets the calf. It feels bruised and is stiff and throbs at times. I had a gait check and it was determined that I have over pronation, do purchased a pair of running shoes to help this. I ran 5k on Monday in the new shoes but still had the pain. Obviously I need to rest this old injury and then try the shoes again but I have heard there are bands available to support the knee but not sure if this would help? Any advice very gratefully received!

Comments

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Take a look at "it band" on google and see if that looks a possibility. 

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

It's probably not the shoes. It could very well be the ITB like booktrunk suggests. I would suggest resting it and dropping back to walking until it settles and building up gradually again. Most likely it's due to pelvic/lower limb instability and doing too much too soon. If you're worried find a physio who specializes in running and get a proper diagnosis and treatment. Good luck, stick with it.

• Options
    Hi, thanks both for the advice. I'm unsure if it is my IT band as the pain is in the inside of the leg rather than the outside?
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Almost certainly not your ITB then. My guess at the reason for the pain and my advice is the same anyway.

• Options
    Thanks HA77 it is a mystery?! I am going to see my friend who is a physio this evening.
  • Options

Hi Emily, I have pain in exactly the same place as you. 

My physio advised me that it was most likely caused by my tight quads and that I need to do more strength and stability work to strengthen my hips and quads.  Single leg bridges; side leg raisers; squats.  It would be a good idea for you to visit youtube to see how to correctly perform leg strengthening excersises.  Lay off running for a week or two while your injury settles down but keep performing these excerisies.

Even when your injury is healed and you're pain free and running again, it is a good idea to keep performing these exercises a few times a week.

Well done for begginging the running journey and don't let these niggles get you down...the road to running heaven is a marathon not a sprint!  

• Options
    Hi I went to see my physio and she has said that I have tight quads and need to strengthen my pelvis/hips and hamstrings. I have also been told to do single leg raises and clams or single leg bridges and lots of stretching of the quads. Luckily I haven't sprained anything but need to stay off running until pain has gone. Only got until 11th September before my charity 10k run so hopefully I will be race ready in time. Thanks for all the advice!