Options

Encouraging new runner

Interesting dilemma..

my daughter at 13 (strong minded but aren't all teens?) has just taken up running over the summer and is enjoying. I'm keen to encourage but know that one wrong word can backfire.

The other night, I gently asked "are you going for a run", answer "No .. I'm a bit tired"... before I thought out came "so you're wimping out then"... stomp up stairs, slammed bedroom door ... oops!

But 30 minutes later down came young'un, big smile .. "are we going for a run then...."

Phew .. tight ropes we walk.

Not sure if an athletics/running club would be right yet? Could see getting disheartened by the loads of faster runners. Mini triathlon's been discussed. 5K race.... How do you get by the fact that the teens natural reaction is to think the opposite of what you say ... image

Not quite sure what 13 year olds are allowed to enter?

Comments

• Options

Re. athletics clubs, it depends what's available in your local area, and it would be worth checking out local clubs with a junior section and asking what they offer, how many kids they have of her age and what level they are (they might not necessarily all be faster). I belong to quite a large club and there'd be various options for kids, including the opportunity to try out other athletics events in the run, jump throw programme. But some kids don't do all that and just go along to our general training sessions with their parents, which are open to all ages and abilities. This is possible because we're quite a large club; other clubs might just have speedy kids who are already competing seriously by the time they're 13, but you won't know unless you ask. If there is a suitable group available then I think taking her to an AC is the best option so she can see if she likes it; she'd get opportunities to do shorter races and cross country.

• Options

Another vote for Parkrun. 

• Options

Why don't you find a 5k race/parkrun and say that you are entering, then closer to the day suggest that she runs it with you? That way it's no pressure, just you thought she might like to take part.

Does her school do athletics in Games class? I know mine used to and if you were good enough got the chance to compete at district/county events etc.

• Options

Hi. Thanks for tips - had a look at Park Runs ... seem nice and relaxed. I'm sure the atmosphere of a race will inspire. Will raise it... gently.

Re school they've just moved from year 8 to year 9 and a lot of her friends are moving to the teenage girl sport isn't cool phase. Plenty of sport but everything from dance to keep fit to hockey, netball, athletics ... different every week and if you're not one of the "super sporty" set then ........?

(triathlon has been mentioned again - mainly because my swimming is so bad/slow and hers is so good ... that she'll (1) have a good laugh at my expense (ok with that image ) and (2) she'll have such a head start I'll struggle to catch. But looking at possible Super Sprint, Sprint events seem to be limited to 15+.... )

• Options

Re triathlon, look for tri stars events for juniors - if you've a local club with a junior section they'll be able to recommend events.

• Options

There might also be junior parkrun nearby. 2k races for 4-14 year olds.