Options

First half

I'm running my first half marathon this weekend and am trying to figure out a decent time to aim for. I'm pretty new to running and only been at it seriously since May.  Training has been going ok - I've done the distance a few times over the past couple of months and this has reduced from about 2.05 to 1.50 (just over two weeks ago.)  It's my first half so my main aim is to enjoy the day and run according to the conditions and how I feel but I also know that part of me will be looking to do my best so I'm looking for a realistic pace/ time to aim for. Should I aim for 1.50 given that I know this is achievable, or should I try and shave something off this? 

Comments

• Options

It depends. When I trained for my first half, I was completely unaware that most runners aim to run faster than their usual easy training pace, not slower. I instead assumed that whenever my schedule said 'half-marathon pace' it meant 'take it easy and pace yourself; it's a long way!' and that I needed to practice running at a steady pace because the race would be longer than any distance I had previously run. I could easily do 8 minutes per mile so I multiplied that by 13.1 and added a bit because I thought I'd be slower over a longer distance (I had not run more than 12 miles) and decided to aim for 1:50.

If you've done that, then I can tell you in advance that actually people run faster not slower in races; I discovered this at approximately 800m into the race when I set out with the 1:50ish crowd and got annoyed at how there were all these people in my way, hopped onto the pavement on the outside, overtook them, and accelerated all the way to the finish in just under 1:35.

On the other hand, if you have been doing your full-distance training runs as fast as you can (not recommended), you might have left your best performance on the road in training, and you will find that you might go a little bit faster than 1:50 due to race day adrenaline, but not much. In that case, I'd recommend setting out at 1:50 pace and gradually trying to pick up the pace in the second half of the race if you feel comfortable.

• Options

Thanks. Running the full distance initially wasn't part of my plan but as its my first race I just wanted to be sure that I would make it around. I wouldn't say it's been at a maximum pace but I've definitely tailed off a bit in the last mile and a half. 

Traffic might be a bit of an issue for me as I was conservative in my finishing time estimate when I signed up and plumped for 2.15.  I may be running in a slower pack to start with so I'll take that into account as well.  So much advice about running your first half seems to say that the number 1 rule is not to go out too fast anyway so the crowds may help me to stick to a sensible pace for the first couple of miles and if I feel ok after a bit I might see if I can speed up a little.  Cheers.

• Options
    Its fairly usual to be quicker in a race than training as there's always someone just ahead who triggers the "surely I can take him/her" syndrome.

So, firstly enjoy, its your inaugural half and do yourself a favour by setting a comfortable PB target (1:50 sound about right) and then you can enjoy the bragging about a new PB on each Half from here on.

There's even a thread on RW just for this purpose,image
  • Options

What the others say. But don't make the mistake of going off too fast too soon. If you've done 1:50 in training that's about 8:20 to the mile. I'd hold that pace and not be tempted to go faster until about the halfway mark. If you still feel good, aim to step up a wee bit until mile 10 and if you still feel good, give it the beans for the final 3 and a bit.

Your aim in the first half marathon should be to get round in a decent time, feeling good and thinking "hey, I could have gone faster" and wanting to do more. Better to slightly underachieve in your first than overcook it, get to the line wrecked, and think "stuff that, never again!"

• Options

I thought I was going to vomit when I got to the finish line of my first half. image

• Options

Double-plus good for what Muttley says. You're entering a bit of unknown here, but what it will do is give you a good idea of what you can cope with - and you'll have a PB you can beat next time. Good luck.