Options

Pain in the knee…

Hi Runners World Forum…
This is a bit of a story hope you can stick with me and maybe offer advice & opinions.
So been running for 20 years no problems running. Running 21 miles average per week for years and years.
Over 2016 I achieved a few PBs 10k - 50 mins , 4miles - 30 mins and 3 miles 23 mins.
Also increase my ability to maintain a fast 3-4 miles then drop speed to accomplish 7 miles in under an hour.
Things were going swimmingly so it seems for years and years running in over-pronating Saucony trainers buying the same model for over 6 years. Before that I had Asics OP moderate trainers.

12th December, 2 miles into a 5 mile run my knee felt as though it collapsed with a shooting pain towards to back of the knee cap so much so that I had to hop to come to a stop could not put my leg back down. After a minute or so was able to continue moving by walking & skipping no pain whatsoever but again as I started to run the shooting crippling pain  returned to stopped me mid-stride.

I run on the balls of my feet.
The only way I could continue to run was to lower my stanch so I have bended knees and run heel to toe slowly - and i mean real slow. 1 mile = 11 minutes!!!!

I was still able to walk, spin, tuck jump, squat, burpee, step up, high knees but as soon as I run (treadmill or road) shooting pain within 10 mins or so.

I then booked a doctors appointment in January to see if I could be referred for an X-ray - I was thinking loose cartilage after reading up, but GP laughed as he swung my leg around bending it here and there as I said "nope no pain, and yes I still can do other exercises" . He said NHS is stretched and "won't refer as you can still do other things just REST the running its only been 5 weeks…" oh "you could pay £200 for private scan/xray" - like where am I going to find that cash?

So left frustrated I love out doors running I can't bare to think its all over for me at 40 years old.

Went for a slloooooowwwwww run 4 miles took me over 40 minutes and I ran it crouching down running in a weird heel flat foot slapping mode to make the distance with NO PAIN. Passing a running shop on the way back I stopped off and spoke to the sales assistant telling her all this and she said "lets film you running on the treadmill". 

Video showed me overpronating even though I was wearing my Saucony over pronators. She then looked at my trainers and said " you have neutrals on" I was insistent that I didn't - I know trainers and I know I need OP moderate and that I'd been buying these type for years… she sweetly pointed out I had Saucony Rides and what I needed were Saucony GUIDES!

To cut this bit shorter - yes she was right - somewhere on buying my trainers I'd gone wrong and thought I had OP but brought the wrong type. I assume that over time the 'GU' had worn off a pair of Guides to leave 'IDE' and when I'd purchase more online I thought they must be Rides not Guides.

So two years at least, (I know this time period cos I've had new pair of the same model/colour etc 2015 & 2016 I always buy a new pair around January) of pushing myself in neutrals only to finally fall apart at the knee.

Well with the new Guides I'm slowly building up again my miles - currently can do a 5 miles with no pain hitting heel to toe on the left (bad knee side) and ball of the foot on the right. As soon as I try to run ball of foot on the left I get the shooting pain again. I'm not as fast as I was either by a long shot.

1. worried I'm pushing it too fast and it will collapse again and I'm just glad to be outside running again  
2. still feel a weakness there (I think so? is it mental? I dunno?)

My questions are
why still the pain if I don't hit heel to toe - have I done an large injury that is still healing
will I ever run fast and my normal running poise again
who can tell me as a doctor thinks I'm nuts

Currently running a mile in 8.30
Used to run a mile in 7.30

Thanks for reading any helping suggestions welcome
:)

Comments

• Options
    oh just thought more info and long as I don't bend the 'bad' knee to much no pain making sure I hit the heel first. But I find the whole run I am concentrating on not bending my knee a lot - speed 27 mins for a 3miler.
  • Options
    Tried a knee brace also didn't work at all when I tried to run normally.

• Options
    Should I be satisfied with slower running heel to toe little sides and minimal bend in my knee? I mean eventually in the future I'm sure after years of running in this manner I will have trained my mind to switch off to concentrating on my stride and completely enjoy the scenery without constantly expecting my knee to collapse? #happytobeoutandabout
  • Options
    Gait and foot posture can change, 
    you may need to focus on cross training to deal with muscles like quads and gluts. These muscles become deficient over time in runners. Which can then contribute to knee trouble and worsen pronation. 
    AP shoes are no guarantee of control you may need to splash out on a Podiatrist to check your gait and you may need orthotics.
    strech your calves, do the cross training and see before seeking advice from a sports podiatrist.