Options

Sore big toe joint

Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Health + Injury
Several weeks ago I started getting some soreness under the big toe joint. I believe it came on more from swimming than running as I was resting from a stress fracture in the other foot when I first experienced it but running may have had an effect. Pushing off the wall and the kicking motion may also have an effect when swimming,

There is intermittent levels swelling and soreness seemingly from walking on it and to the l point I am unable to do much walking and often when I do it has been with a limp.

I do not think it is gout, based on what I have read but sesamoiditis seems to be a reasonable fit, perhaps a second stress fracture, Icing helps as does Ibuprofen. I am waiting on results of an x-ray but I am aware this may not reveal the issue unless it's a visible fracture.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and how they came to a diagnosis. I have private cover so I am just looking to get through to the right person more quickly than waiting for my divvy GP.

Comments

• Options
    FootmechFootmech ✭✭✭
    Certainly sounds like Sesamoiditis. 
    This needs to be dealt with as it can stop you in your tracks. 
    Look for a sports Podiatrist who can assess the forces involved in the creation of the condition. 
    Have you changed your footstrike ?
    do you have a decent stretching regime?
    have you changed to shoes with a lower drop ?
    Is running up worse or fact you had a stress fracture in the other foot may be pointing towards a mechanical issue. 
    Swimmers tend to have tighter calves as well

try, 1) working on calf flexibilty
    2) a small heel raise 
    3) shoes with more cushioning
    4) massage on calves, fascia release
    5) find a Podiatrist/ physio who can mobilise your foot
    6) insoles may be necessary.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. Some good points.

I've not changed my footstrike but coming back to running from the SF I was definitely favouring my left foot, the now injured one.

I do all my running in fairly well cushioned shoes and have been in the same model for a year.

I'd only been back running for 3 weeks following a 6 week break but I had increased the swimming a lot in that period. 

I do get tight calfs so it's worth looking at and I'll be sorting out physio/podiatrist as soon as the x-ray comes through. Actually it's a lot better today, feels like maybe a couple more days and it will be pain free so I'll hopefully be looking more towards prevention.

Re mechanics I believe the SF was caused by a trauma rather than overuse, I turned the ankle running off road and ignored it but it was heavily bruised at the time. I possibly just never let it heal properly.
  • Options
    This sounds like it may be a bunion. I have one on my right foot big toe. The arch has fallen so without an orthotic to raise the arch and drop the forefoot and toe, the toe cannot bend enough as you push off from the ground without flattening and pushing the joint outwards which creates a swelling where the bunion has formed on the joint. Pulling you toe (in a straight line) can help to pull the bones further apart but if it is a bunion you need to raise the arch of the foot to allow the forefoot and toe to drop and bend fully. If you know your feet are flat or have fallen arches see a podiatrist. My husband also kept saying my big toe pain was gout but it wasnt - it's just a bunion and getting a new orthotic has completely resolved the problem as it takes the pressure off the joint.