Options

Sunday 18th June 2017-It's a heartache Nothing but a heartache

WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Training
Morning

Lyrics are:It's a heartache Nothing but a heartache

Good luck all racers today LMH,?? I hope you can run in the heat !

Happy Father's Day to all Father's today !

What: Short and easy
Why: Not been well
Last hard: getting up to beat the heat

Have a great day but be careful out there!
ALF: Always a little further
Miles makes smiles.
Progression

Comments

• Options
    Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Summer Son by Texas.

Thanks for starting the thread Poppy - that's an early get up on a Sunday. Hope you've had a good run.

Nice double there RFJ. It's not easy racing in the heat.

A warm start to the day here and forecast to be 23C by 1000hrs. I hope our courses are shaded Dustin!

What:             Road2Recovery Half Marathon
    Why:              seemed like a good idea at a time
    Last hard:      coping with the heat today may be
    Last rest:       29/4

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Maybe short run later
    Try out new shoes
    Lyrics a rare yes!

Friend still hanging on
    Els's Heinz birthday day
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Happy birthday young Els!

What: 5k on country lanes and cinder paths.

Why: recovery run. Legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday's harder parkrun although can still feel a hamstring twinge. Sundays are usually easy days anyway.

Hope LMH and Dustin are enjoying their days...and any other racers of course. Not sure that it is the day for a marathon! Pretty warm out there.

Lyrics: more than once.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Morning What: Just short of 8 Why: Heat along with legs of lead. Lyrics: Yes Had vague hopes for a spin around the ring road bit settled for a plod along the river instead. Combination of early morning heat and doubling up on a Saturday. Still almost 8 is not to be sniffed at at the moment but does show a lot if work needed ahead of Robin Hood. Just hope I haven't left things too late. In other news my friend Jooligan did an IM sight seeing trip around the Lake District in 18+ hours yesterday.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Interesting morning, LMH?!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Happy Birthday Els.

Indeed it was Alehouse.

Pour yourself a cold drink and get some snacks in:-)

Road2Recovery Half Marathon.

This was not my finest hour. We arrived at the venue and the car was reading 25C, it was going to be a hot one, not a breath of wind either. We collected our numbers and joined the short loo queue, chatting to another couple of runners one of them said that his wife had told him they were shortening the race because of the heat and it would now only be 8 miles, we pooh, poohed him. Back to the car, numbers and trainers on and we walked to the start where the race briefing confirmed that due to 'safety concerns' the race had been shortened to eight miles. Some people seemed very pleased about this, I wasn't one of them. I did a mile warm up and everything felt fine. How do you pace an eight mile race? By feel as usual I decided. There were a few unlikely looking people stood at the front of the start, me and some men, mostly from one of the local running clubs. The hooter went and we were off along a bit of a rough track then onto tarmac, one of the Stilton Striders took off like the proverbial rabbit. I ran a fun and exhilarating first mile (which I thin must have been mostly downhill) and came very close to my first ever mile beginning with a 5, but didn't quite make it. I knew the pace was unsustainable and settled down to a more modest effort. The course was immediately undulating and hot, with no shade at all. I swapped places with a couple of men, one Stilton Strider who was ahead of me stopped and said it just wasn't worth it and he was going home. My second mile was much more reasonable but then I started to wonder what exactly I was doing and why. I couldn't get a PB, I wasn't even really sure how far I was running, chances of it being dead on eight as it hadn't been measured were going to be slim and it was verging on the hilly for me. As the updulations seemed to keep on coming I was having a bit of a battle with myself. A water station at about 2.5 miles was very welcome as was a wet sponge. I realised then it was really quite hot. When mile three came in at 6.47 I knew it wasn't even going to be a good tempo effort. I told myself it was only eight miles and I should just buck up and get on with it. Just before four miles we were sent on the course diversion and I just had to laugh, it was a very rough, partially overgrown track. Oh joy. I have enough trouble staying on my feet these days as it is, this was just a joke. Mile 4 beeped and I thought, come on, half way there, just get it done. Eventually emerging after about three quarters of a mile it was back on to tarmac. In that kind of 'always wanting what you haven't got' kind of way the shaded track suddenly seemed to be the better of the two options. Five miles. Only three to go, faster you run, sooner it's over. Mile 6 was hilly and hot. I lost the will to live on the hill and walked some of it, despite knowing that I would have to come on here and confess to having done so. I. Just. Didn't. Care. I told myself that if the second lady did catch me I would then decide whether to try to race or not but I wasn't killing myself for nothing (I later found out that this was 'the hill' that is usually encountered at mile 9). Once up the hill I had a stern word, it was only just over a mile to go and time to pick it up. I ran a good mile, and then I ran another three quarters of a mile before coming across the 11 mile marker, ok, so did I still have two miles to go then? I was now regretting my decision not to take on water at the last opportunity but with only a mile to go it hadn't seemed worth it. I told myself that at least I knew that worst case scenario was another two miles and a sprint finish. Helped by the fact that there was now more down than up and consoling myself with the fact that at least I was going to make double figures for the day I plodded on. Fortunately they had cut a last loop off the course and I eventually crossed the finish line after 10.18 miles in 1.10.03 for fifth place and first woman.

The problem with running faster than anyone else on the day is having to wait for the prize giving but it was a lovely venue with some entertainment and apart from mostly needing to stay out of the sun as I was going a little pink despite Factor 30 it was quite a pleasant wait and the prizes, well, generous and eclectic. Mark was pleased with my Melton Mowbray pork pie, there was a bottle of locally brewed bitter, a Dry Robe (size medium unfortunately but then can a tent be too big?), a pair of pearl (effect I guess) earrings, a glass trophy, a subscription to Women's Running, £25 vouchers for a local shop, restaurant and garden centre place, vouchers for £17.50 for a holistic massage or treatment (will need to find a home for that one), a voucher for a free photograph from the race and a bottle of Pol Roger champagne!

Alehouse will be interested in the fact that I had a chat with the lovely Rob from Derby Runner and am now the owner of a pair of Adidas adizero adios which he thinks will suit me up to marathon distance whereas the DS Racer he thought might be too firm for anything over a half (at £50 I thought they were worth a try).

Edited to add: when we got back to the car the temperature was reading at 33C and it only went down to 29C on the drive home.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    A memorable day, LMH! Saw the results earlier and knew from the times that something interesting had happened! Sounds like a hard, but rewarding, day at the office! Well done! You shouldn't be first lady at your age so that should be an extra well done!

Re DS Racer, I wouldn't consider running above 10k in those! Enjoy the rest of your day...preferably in the shade!

Now where's Dustin...?
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Dustin has probably melted Alehouse! Or is hopefully re-hydrating with a few beers. In some ways it wasn't as hard as it could/should have been which is why it wasn't my finest hour. I don't feel too bad about it though so maybe it was more sense than cop out? I'm not sure. I've never actually seen a pair of DS Racers so have no idea what they're like I just thought it was worth asking Rob as I love the Boston's but find the DS Trainer a little heavy in comparison.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Love the Lyrics, a fine Welsh vocalist

Happy Fathers day to those that are dads... I have been blessed by Jnr and seeing eldest later too.

4.5m this morning with Jnr, may go out again before seeing eldest.

Well done LMH on the run, that must mess with the head though.

Happy Birthday Els
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well done LMH what a nice haul of prizes and well done on first lady in trying circumstances.

RFJ : She is indeed and a local when she is in the country:-)

Dustin is under the shade of a tree drinking many beers and a cake or 2:-)
    Boy it is way too hot I think another 4am start for me:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of all the runners this weekend! It's been a scorcher. Well done LMH - don't you just love a change of plan? :)

What: A short run in about an hour
    Why: Let the air cool a little and as a nod of respect to everyone that ran in this heat today!

Lyrics: Yes
  • Options
    It was downright dangerous to be honest TGR - would have been safer to let everyone set off for 13.1 than to tell them they were running 8 and add an extra 2. Hope you have a good run - take it easy.
  • Options
    StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Phew LMH...happy not to run that one. Extra two a bit naughty!
    OH...thoughts with you. Postie, hope car can be frugally fixed.
    Weekend a blur. Taxi service from airport and train station on Friday eve 5.00pm-11. OH has significant b'day Tuesday so friend down from Scotland and daughter + 1 back from big smoke. Parkrun yesterday decided to have a wee wobble but just a 246...might have been lack of sleep on Fri! Tkd then out for a meeting early afternoon before night out with birthday girl et al
    What: Nothing
    Why: 4.00a.m finish then out for lunch before airport duties again.
    last hard: Not being a party pooper last night or this morning :-)
    Last rest: Work in progress
    Lyrics: Yes and what a belter.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Does indeed sound a blur, SC!

Very difficult for race organisers, LMH! Not sure what decision I would have made but I would hopefully have had a back up plan and looked to change things the day before. The announcement that it was 8 miles, and then people ran over 10, would have been rather significant for some of those near the back of the field given the heat. It was bad enough for you! Sounds a tough hill! So what's next? You are obviously in pretty good form, so I'd try to persuade you to race a fair amount across the summer, untapered, and probably on the shorter distances. Will work wonders for your speed and you would no doubt pick up a few age group prizes, at least! 
  • Options
    I would melt in that heat even standing still!
    Far from a scorcher here, although pleasant enough between the showers.
    Walk up Ward hill earlier then usual 5k loop after 8 to try out shoes (Hoka Cliftons) . Still waiting on news from afar ...

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    27/28 at least in HM, OH! How were the shoes? 
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well done LmH
    Manic day but I'm still alive!
    5 hours setting up yesterday and packing 800+ goody bags
    Today on site at 8, lugging bananas and water...
    What - 26.2 Hampshire Hoppit Marathon, our club's event (half option available).
    Why - on the calendar
    I'll not do a long report but suffice to say it was hot. Ran with a couple of club pals and it was a 'get round and survive' run. Hilly but beautiful scenery over the Hampshire downs. Drank continually, plus 4 or 5 pints afterwards working the finish tunnel. Last finisher in 7h30, then pack up. Home at 7, pub for fathers day with the girls by 8. 
    Oh 4h33 and about 70th. Happy enough. Winner did 3:16, only 26 broke 4hrs!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a tough day, Dustin...but well toughed out! Not running weather!