Options

Tuesday 13th November 2018 - Oh one more drink and then I'll go

Morning.

Lyrics - Oh one more drink and then I'll go

Any progress with finding someone to see about your knee Donaldo?

What:           short and easy
Why:            ran long yesterday/throat is sore
Last hard:    resolving kitchen issues (still rumbling on)
Last rest:     14/10

Yesterday's lyrics - Free To Decide by The Cranberries.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all 
    Don -phew, sounds like a top field!
    Benjy - Atmosphere, Decades & Love Will Tear Us Apart. 5* review in the Times today. 

What - Club session, not sure what is on the menu but I'll only be 75%
    Why - trying to run fast
    last rest - Saturday
    last hard - probably today
    lyric - possibly
  • Options
    Morning!

Lyrics: no...but you would have thought I would given my user name!

What: short run, long Pilates

Why: Tuesday
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning
    What : hour on the watt bike d&d run and gym later
    Why : because I'm worth it
    Last hard : Saturday 
    Last rest : 31st October 
    Lyrics : no :-)

Managing the body is a life of compromise and yet becomes strangely normal for so many of us

• Options
    Morning
    Donaldo: A cracking phrase, instantly understood :-)
    Ale: Steady!
    Dustin: We have MAS tests at the club tonight where I'll be doing min. i.e. watching :-) One I wanted to do but good one to miss!
    Careful with those lurgy LMH
    Trainers in the machine Chicksta? Brave, even if it is a machine with a trainer cycle. I usually just hose and leave.
    Knee update: Just a constant ache but cannot bend through 90 without serious discomfort. Hourly patella manipulation and ongoing anti-inflammatory. Driving is worst as can't stretch it out and it's about 1 hour each way. Improving every night however. It's going to be a long road back especially as I get the munchies when not running. Awaiting QoP appt for some masochistic assistance.  Will do Riverfront parkrun Saturday as there's an ambassador meet up afterwards and tail walk the next two weeks. Can't see any running before 1st week of December and then short and slow at best. 
    Lyrics: Nope
  • Options
    Morning

SC: I hope the knee slowly gets better for you and QoP can fit you in sooner rather than later.

What; 8 miles
    Why: Body wanted to
    Last hard: Getting out of bed
    Lyrics: Nope
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

It sure does Gobi.

SC - sounds as though you're making progress with it albeit more slowly than you'd like. Is walking ok? If so I'd do as much of that as you can - helps keep the weight down too - or at least it worked for me when I couldn't run. I wouldn't washing machine trainers I wanted to run in again either - isn't it supposed to do something detrimental to the cushioning?

Nice to have a willing body Poppy!

You've been very good making time for and sticking with the Pilates Alehouse.

Easy does it Dustin.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Washing trainers is fine if they have as many miles in them as mine. I think the glue that sticks the sole components together falls apart if exposed to high temperatures but the short cycle for delicates at 30 degrees seems to work well. The detergent has to be enzyme free (I use the same stuff I wash my rain jacket with).

SC: That's really bad news. But the bit of improvement that you can see should give you hope. Fingers crossed.

LMH: Oh no, I had hoped your kitchen woes were now a thing of the past.

Careful, Dustin.

Ale: Should really run if the Achilles is grumbling again? The odd non-running day might help ...

Gobi said:

Managing the body is a life of compromise and yet becomes strangely normal for so many of us

Right you are.

What: 10 miles
    Why: it's a distance I like
    Last hard: last couple of miles on Sunday
    Last rest: 9/11
    Lyrics: no

• Options
    Quick check in, in between places need to be.

What: 7 miles roughly done.
    Why: Jobs to do, drop off sample at doctors, appointment at bank to open business account, so used these as run wwaypoints. TKD tonight.
    Lyrics: Think so
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Sorry been AWOL again :(
    Cross country in Coventry on Saturday, managed to miss the rain showers but it was hard.  Last place for club!
    Yesterday 5 x 400 m followed by 2 x 600 m with 200 m recovery.  Leg was ok till last 600.
    Today spin (if I can get into the gym)
    Last hard: all of the above
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely evening all
  • Options
    Evening!

Sounds tough, Emz

SC: steady to you too!

Gobi is correct. And even more correct as one gets older.

Chick: when it is the Achilles niggling I am not too concerned as long as I work on  stretching the tendon; what I believe is a slight muscle strain in the calf is harder to manage and it is getting that balance right between stretching, strengthening and massaging, or so the ex GB team doctor told me on Saturday evening!

LMH: can't believe how good I have been with the Pilates! I do a long session on a Tuesday and at least two shorter sessions in the week, plus other gym work. Am becoming far more flexible which I hope will help control these niggles, at least. Was much more flexible as a steeplechaser in my twenties and then seemed to stop doing the exercises for a good ten years. Tell me why I didn't do more of this when I was told to at 40, rather than wait until 64! Hope you are all listening!

Off to fitness suite shortly.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Quickly starts stretching and doing pilates
    Ale where do you know what exercises to do?
  • Options
    Emz: physio taught me them over a few sessions (she is a qualified Pilates instructor). Worth looking online for glute exercises in particular: both physio and consultant believe a lot of lower leg and ITB injuries are connected to lack of strength in the glutes. The key thing seems to be to do them as slowly as possible, squeezing the buttocks in as tight as possible! I see lots of people doing them in the gym too quickly. I think it is worthwhile to seek out a Pilates class or a physio who knows Pilates and getting a couple of sessions so that you are taught to do them properly. I do some of the exercises with a resistance band, some with a spiky ball, some with a Pilates ring and some with a partially deflated ball: Decathlon stock the latter two and there are video clips that Decathlon have put together. Will try to look these out in the near future.