Options

Seaton Half Marathon

Has anybody done this race? I'm looking for a quick half on this date and it's either this one or Lake Vyrnwy (which is very fast) but this one's a little closer.

Comments

• Options
    Mike

Yes, I've done this one for each of the last 3 years. 2 lap course, undulates, but not that hilly for Devon. Certainly a faster course than GWR, Plymouth or Torbay - but not as flat as Bideford.

Much smaller field than any of the above, so not much of a problem settling into your pace early on.

Dartmoor Vale (June) is also meant to be a fairly fast course.
  • Options
    Hi, Could someone tell where the race starts and is it easy to find.
    Thanks

Gary
  • Options
    Gary, the race starts & finishes on the seafront in the centre of Seaton and there is plenty of parking (for a fee) close by. It's all very easy to find as you drop down into the town centre from the Exeter-Lyme Regis road.

The added bonus is that you can pick up an entry form for the Grizzly on the first day that they're released - they're as sought after as PSP games consoles ;>)
  • Options
    Well I've entered - anyone else?
  • Options
    I`ve sent in my entry form but nothing back yet. I did my pb here 3 years ago but not expecting anything near 90 mins this time.
  • Options
    There you are, 90 mins! I thought we'd lost you!

I've entered too, but I'm not sure how well I'll have recovered from doing the 35 mile Two Bridges about 10 days ago. At least the distance won't hold any fears for me!
  • Options
    Hi Dunnarunner

I've been on my hols & not run much before for a week or so either. Did 14 miles on Saturday, very hard work!

Steve - I'm not expecting much of a time either, will be very happy to get something like the 94 minutes I got last year.
  • Options
    You sort of disappeared from the forums for a bit, 90 mins, so I naturally feared you were injured & sulking ;>)

Good to know that you were only resting & recharging the batteries! See you on Sunday.
  • Options
    I was thinking of coming down and supporting this as I have friends running.

I notice RW list a 6 mile fun run but can find nothing on the Axe Valley web site, does anyone know if this run exist and can I enter on the day, I've e mailed the contact name but It's come back as recipient unknown.
  • Options
    Bullseye
    If you go to the Axe Valley Runners web site they have a contact address to email - I got a same day response last time I used it.
    The 6 mile run is just 1 lap of the course with the end loop missing. There is also a 1 mile fun run for kids, etc.

Dunnarunner
    Got your number yet?
    Still waiting for mine.
  • Options
    Thanks 90 minutes, I've e mailed them as well. As long as I know it's on, I'll bring my gear.
  • Options
    There is NO 6-miler at the Seaton Half - we stopped that a few years ago.

Sorry about the old email address at RW (it was correct when the details were submitted) and there won't be a response from the info one on the website cos the recipient's not currently around but I'll redirect it elsewhere for now.
  • Options
    Got my number quite a while back, but then I did enter very early - I'm number 29 or 30 (my son is the other one!).

We had our bi-monthly club time trails last night and it was noticeable that whilst my stamina is understandably very good at the moment, my legs have lost all their speed. At the start of both the 1 mile & the 2 mile runs, the rest of the field just ran away from me, but I was staying on strongly at the end of both efforts and my finishing times weren't very much different from other months this summer. At least I shouldn't be in danger of going off too fast on Sunday!
  • Options
    Will be very happy if I see the finish sub 95, could be warm weather aswell.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this race last year so will be sorry to have to miss it this year. It's too close to NF marathon. Hope you all have a good run and the wind isn't strong on the sea front like last year!
  • Options
    Good to see this race still surviving.
    Several other south devon halves have fallen by the way side,most recent was exmouth.I've run this race a few times,
    last was in 98 and its always been hot.Few familar faces on i see.Good luck to all.
  • Options
    Hi Hilly - best of luck at NF marathon. We won't be at that this year as we're doing Dene's Doone, and also won't make Seaton for the same reason, but hoping it will stay on the Calendar so we can do it next year.
  • Options
    Thanks for your good wishes hilly, Kessman & LW*

Looks like it could be quite warm & sticky.
  • Options
    Got my number now - 316.

Thanks for the good wishes hilly & Kessman.

Forumites meeting outside the Hook & Parrot?
  • Options
    Hi,
    Hope you all had good runs at cool and breezy seaton.Changed course from my previous visit.I thought it was ok,good for spectators for 2m,a bit tricky at 7 & 11 miles, sharp turn on slippy slope.
    My only moan was that miles should have been by the measured paint markers not down the road on nearest pole.I know it can be difficult,but containers with sand in does the job.
    Finally i did 1:28, which what i was expecting and my son did 1:21.
  • Options
    Actually the markers should have been about right. The start was shuffled along a bit (after the miles were marked out) to improve the finish position.
  • Options
    Hi Kessman - missed you again!

LMRB - New course better than the old one I think, mile markers certainly more consistent. Only downside for me was the slippy turn - atleast we were warned as we approached it.

Disappointing time for me - 1:35 - a minute & a half slower than last year. Just shows that training (in my case lack of it) makes a difference...
  • Options
    Great event. It was the first road race I have done for 7 years, apart from a few ultras and I beat my expectattions my 3-4 mins, doing 1:20:33. This will be a good indicator for the Berlin Marathon in two weeks. Many thanks to the organisers and marshalls.
  • Options
    Good event, thought I would be quicker than 98.38 but still enjoyed it.
  • Options
    I liked the improved course and a friend wearing one of those distance measuring things (not a Garmin) said that all the mile markers were just about spot on. Managed to just duck inside 1:40, which was just about what I expected coming off the back of an ultra as my legs still haven't recovered.

Good running Rob & Kessman (& your son)!
  • Options
    Rob,what time you looking for in Berlin?On yesterday performance,sub 2:50.
    I'll be there, predict about 3:05,did FLM in 3:03 and in similar shape.PB of 2:48 and that was when i was doing 80/82 mins for halves.Hopefully you'll have a good. one.
    Well done to every yesterday.Catch you another time 90mins.