Options

tomtom v Navman

i know this is not really a running thread, except it will get me to races without get lost and stressed before hand.

It is coming to that time of year when letters have to be written to the man in the big red suit.

so tomtom or navman which is the best.

Comments

• Options
    tom tom had the better reviews last time I was interested.

Also, if you have a mobile phone you could upgrade (subsidised by the network) & just buy Tom Tom mobile. That's your start up cost more than halfed & you get a portable device you can take out of the car
  • Options
    I was dead set on buying one, upgraded to a suitable phone (Nokia 6680), and was already to spend £175 of my hard earned '' when someone at work asked what's wrong with a paper A-Z?

I couldn't give him a satisfying answer
  • Options
    I have a Navman 510 and it is fantastic. It is portable and the maps are great. It takes an SD card (as do all Navman products) so you can have differnet maps on different cards etc if you travel alot.

I did a fair bit of research and the Navman was my final choice and I am really glad I made that choice.
  • Options
    Cheers Kev, i must admit i was leaning towards the Navman.

Better get writing that letter.
  • Options
    When I was doing my research into the best satnav (admittedly a few years ago) I found Navman beat TomTom hands down with regard to detail of the maps.
  • Options
    TOM TOM by a mile

• Options
    ok
    that's an uneducated and biased opinion from a someone that wouldn't buy any naivgation unit with "man" in the name ;-)

but seriously

tom tom wins by small margin here
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navmanvstomtom.php

i really really like mine
    and that's all i can say really
  • Options
    LOK, which one do you have, has it ever not got you where you where going?
  • Options
    get married

you'll never have the problem again
  • Options
    Tom Tom. Pound for pound, I preferred the touchscreen of tomtom and not the cursor of navman I looked at.

Plus Werner the German sounds really cool when you get there and says "Ankunft!"

And you can download all the fixed speed camera loacations in the UK and Tom tom will warn you using the alert from the USS Enterprise.

Come on, it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    I've got a Garmin streetpilot c320. Can't say I looked into them much, but the Garmin is great.
  • Options
    Keith
    i have the tom tom go 300 - which is the bottom of the range one as of now

i have used it in uk and also in usa (bought map for whole of usa on one card - v cool)

it's never failed to get me to a place but also it's not perfect either
    sometimes it's a few yards out

it has **loads** of positives especially in terms of ease of use
    and even the 300 can hook up with a bluetooth phone to get weather and traffic reports

in terms of mapping criticisms - it does have minor tweaks needed
    eg going to longleat animal park using the POI feature, it took me to the edge of the longleat estate, not the front gate - but it was obvious to me that i needed to go down one more road

also you can program in house numbers but that is sometimes 100 yards out of the final destination
    but what's 100 yards!?

my only real criticism of it is that you sometimes lose the sat signal for a mo in city centres which have tall stone buildings
    but i suspect that applies to them all
    and i don't have the external antenna fitted which would give a stronger signal and is a fairly cheap add on

there are odd map inaccuracies such as mini-roundabouts shown as normal junctions say - but it is always obvious what to do as the read out is so clear

also you get the pleasure of going on their website and logging any thing you have found wrong

one more thing
    i've not updated my map data since buying it and i think it's a few versions old now

so these maybe even outdated criticisms

i also like the fact that there are loads of free downloadable POI files available as the format for it is publically accessible

and they have been open enough with the system that you can customise your box in small and silly ways eg
    - change the splash screen to say your name/fave pic or whatever
    - download a new silly voice or even make your own voice files
  • Options
    oh
    and re stumps comment

i bought one for my parents
    and it has stopped their previously endless arguments on car journeys about which way to go

they love it
    and in spite of my mum having arthritis (i was worried about touchscreen issues) and my dad having dyslexia (worried about read outs)
    but they both can use it easily
  • Options
    fave feature is

"avoid roadblock" when you're stuck in a jam on the main road and you just wish you knew the back doubles route

now you do
  • Options
    LOK, thanks, i think its a done deal.

Thanks again .
  • Options
    can I buy it online LOK (you KNOW I'm too lazy to research this when I can just ask you babe)

Might make Thin Spouse's racing trips across the county line less stressy
  • Options
    Garmin Streetpilot i3 - around £180

Has most of the features of the Tom Tom Go, and is a lot smaller too. Does have some strange routes sometimes, but it always gets you there.

As linked by LOK, have a look on the Pocket GPS site where you can find forums on each of the sat nav products as well as downloads of the speed cameras locations