Options

Sorry, your goal is unrealistic

http://www.myasics.nl/running/

The asics site basically told me my sights were set too high & to try for a slower goal going on the data I filled in.

I have decided to ignore this (& their training) & carry on as normal. I was just wondering if people could thing of any tips that may help me on my quest.
-------------------------------------------------------
In 2005 I ran the Windsor Half-Marathon in 01:55:18 & set my self the goal of being "better by half" for next year, hopefully running sub 01:35:00 (chip not gun times).

I don't know how the courses compare but last week I ran Reading Half expecting to finish in sub 01:45:00 & came in at 01:34:05. With 6 months to go I think I can safely assume I'd be able to meet my original goal of sub 1:35:00 for Windsor & with this in mind I have decided to move the goal posts.

Asics refused me on the 01:20:00 training plan - I hoping to for -1:25:00 now but they didn't have an option for that.

I was dead on my feet at the end of Reading so I know any improvements from here on in will be difficult.

The only training I did was long slow(ish) runs & core work. I found the core work REALLY helped me in keeping good form after mile 10 whee it usually slips.

I'd like to keep my training plan similar to what I already do but add a bit more structure & was hoping for advice & comments.

Currently I run about 50 miles per week - all what I would class as easy runs but nto much of a structure.

3 x 14.4 mile runs (2 laps Richmond Park)
^ this is usually done with a days rest inbetween - it's juggled about as I work shifts (8 day week) but like to make a club Sunday run where possible. I usually run this at about 8.5 - 9mm pace

I throw in either a 5.6 mile or 7 mile run sometime during the week too (distance depending on how I feel) again 8 - 8.5mm pace

Core work isn't intense at all - 30 minutes a day of squats, pressups, crunches, leg raises.

I was thinking about maybe going for 3 laps of Richmond Park on the Sunday (or 1st day off shift - whichever is free)making that run 21 miles - thoughts?

What shoudl I do? Keep the same schedule? Add another run, adda run but decrease individual distances run?

Any input welcome - thanks

Comments

• Options

The website apprears to be in german or something.
  • Options
    It's Dutch, from what I can tell. If you want the British version change the .nl at the end of the web address to .co.uk
  • Options

It's all dutch to me UA !
  • Options
    Firstly, if you are doing that core workout every day- stop. A couple of sessions a week will be more productive due to enhanced recuperation.

I would go to Amazon and buy a pile of books on how to run, learn from them and stop relying on other internet 'fit everyone' programes. Once you learn the principles of effective training, you can devise your own programes

"Give a man a fish and he eats for the day, teach a man to fish and he eats for life".
  • Options
    There are 2 by a guy called Pete Pfitzinger. These are the best in my opinion (I have a pile of running books ;) ).
  • Options
    The Angel of Death What's the difference between a internet fit everyone program, and a book fit everyone program?
  • Options
    An internet program tells you what to do and a good book will teach PRINCIPLES, which you can apply when you devise your own specific program.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    ixus - I'd suggest adding a tempo run once or twice a week. Run 3-6 miles at your current half marathon pace (ie NOT an all-out effort).

The improvements that you've made already suggests that you've built a decent aerobic base from the easy running. To run a good half, you need to add some lactate threshold work, which is where the tempo runs come in. A few sessions of shorter reps (say 10 x 2 mins @ 5k-10k pace) might also help.
  • Options
    A tempo run and / or an Interval session will definately help.
  • Options
    Angel of death, I sort of semi have devised my own training plan already - t just lacks structure.

I am kind of following the ideas of base training by going long & easy to build up a higher aerobic base. Thing is I'm not exactly following the base methods becuase to run with a suitable low HR I find I'm 10 minute miling & at that pace my stride is all messed up & heel striking / plodding.

Ardvark, by tempo run, do you mean a run where I gradually build up the pace until I'm at or faster than race pace, then slow back down for the last leg of the run to warm down?

I would imagine this would help to raise my lactate threshold but had to ask becuase I wasn't sure what you meant by threshold work - do you think I should be aiming to raise my lactate threshold or improve the ability to clear the lactic (something I imagine fartlek training would be good for)?
  • Options
    I would recommend buying a heart rate monitor. This way you could work out how hard to run from what the monitor tells you. A tempo run would be around the 80-85% mark.

If you raise your lactate threshold, you would also improve your ability to clear the lactic (as you put it). Lactate is present in your body and increases as exertion goes up, to the point where your body builds it up quicker than it can clear it (your lactate threshold). What you aim to do on a threshold run is to run at or near this point, to stimulate your body's ability to deal with the build up of lactate, and to more effectively clear it from your system.
  • Options
    I already have a heart rate monitor although am not currently wearing it for the long slow runs.

I would imagine tempo runs raise the lactate threshold but improving ones abitity to clear lactic build up is better served by fartlek / interval type sessions from what I understand as going from anaerobic to aerobic back & forth constantly gets the body used to clearing it from the muscles employed. The thing is I'm not not sure which would be of mroe benefit to me I'm guessing training to raise my lactate threshold would serve me better as middle distance runner but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    I had similar PB's to you for a half, by incorporating a structured weekly interval session into my training I now have a PB of 84 minutes. This is also off about 26 - 30 miles a week.
  • Options
    The concensus seems to be in favour of an interval / tempo run.

I think I'm going to throw in a tempo run then to hep improve lactic threshhold & get me used to running at racing pace & faster.

I'm not going to bother with fartleks or intervals as I think my legs are already pretty decent at clearing lactic acid - at least in my thighs & that's the only place I ever notice it building up. I think part of this is down to cycling with al the stopping & starting in traffic.

Thank you gentlemen.

I'll bump this thread after Richmond Half & again after St Albans with progress details
  • Options
    Well results are in for Ranelagh Richmod Half.

A new PB of 01:31:35 - I'm really happy with this.

I still haven't worked any tempo runs in yet & have cut my milage down to about 33 miles a week becuase my knees started to get sore. Now I run a day, rest a day for the most part.

I'm really happy with the results & although the rate of improvement is slowing I believe I can be 30 mins faster this year at Windsor half marathon running 01:25:17 - It will be an amazing bonus if I can come in under 01:25

watch this space