Options

Sat navs for cars..

Thinking about getting a sat nav but not really sure what to get - too much choice out there. Do you have to spend a fortune to get something reliable or are the cheaper ones any good?

Are they battery powered or run off the ciggie lighter? Planning on getting one of those gizmos so I can play my iPod in the car but as far as I know they run off the lighter so wouldn't be able to use both at the same time.

Comments

• Options
    Garmin

My friend is a lorry driver and he has tested his against the ones owned by his many porters and the garmin works better every time.
  • Options
    tomtom is best by far imho

very easy to use
    very reliable

runs off it's own battery - lasts about 4hrs

recharge from ciggy lighter as needed

don't pay extra for fancy version unless you are planning to drive to europe loads

tomtom one is under 200 now
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-0909.aspx

or look out for deals on the web / ebay

• Options
    georgia's dad
    define "works better"

i mean
    what is good for a probably male lorry driver
    is not necesssarily good for a female non commercial driver

eg
    they may want it accurate to within 1cm

but we may want it able to show the nearest sainsbury's at the touch of a a button and accurate to within 1m

;-)

• Options
    I've got a tomtom one - easy peasy to use and haven't had any problems with it.
  • Options
    Get a bike and a map.
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Yep...i'm with DM - get a map.

Seriously - do you really realyl need one? (adn perhaps you might i dont know!?) Most of the places I go in a car I know the way....if I go away for a weekend...or somewhere I have never been before, I may simply go onto the net adn get a printout of my destination....so that I can find it once I am within a few miles of whereever it is. But most of the driving i do is to known destinations....so no real need for sat nav.

The only time I think I could have done with it was when I once decided to drive to London....and I wont be doing that again unless I have to.

If you do get one though Kazzahhhh, make sure it is easy to remove from the car etc, as they are very tempting for chavvy thieving b*stard to smash a window and pinch.
  • Options
    I almost certainly don't 'need' one but would quite like one. I usually write myself out a route map (and I have the atlas with me) - in big clear writing so I can quickly look over and see where I need to be going (or I tack it to steering wheel) but I wondered if a sat nav would get round the faff.

Would def get a portable one so therefore needs to be small - which rather makes me wonder whether it'd be any use in the first place!
  • Options
    If you do a bit of driving on your own then I reckon its safer to have a gps rather than keep trying to look at a map or instructions.

I've used a Sony one and a tomtom. The tomtom is loads better and so easy to use.
  • Options
    Kazzah - I've pretty much settled on getting the Tomtom 510 after speaking with a few people who've used a number of different units.

I'd probably be happy enough with the entry model, but I quite fancy having the bluetooth feature (I refuse to look like one of those tools that drive round - and even walk around - looking like lieutenant Uhura!).

Always thought I'd get away with just a map and an A-Z, but I now end up going to some pretty weird locations with work (I mean, London FFS!!! - where's that??). Just too dangerous when my hands are already full of phones, razor and coffee...
  • Options
    I dont get the need for sat navs unless your a taxi driver or travel all days to different locations as part of your job.

Finding my way somewhere is part of the fun, or maybe im just blessed with a good sense of direction.

• Options
    I don't have that bad a sense of direction and am usually happy enough to have even just a vague idea of where I'm going and then getting to the nitty gritty once I'm in the vicinity but there's nothing worse than having to be somewhere at a specific time (i.e. for a race) and getting lost.

Am only really considering it cos I've come into a little bit of dosh - wouldn't normally consider paying out for one.
  • Options
    Ignore the luddites...get one...they're great!

I still wish you could have lots of different voices...get famous people to do the directions - having Wilson from Dads Army saying "I say, do you think that's wise" when you make a mistake would brighten up any journey!
  • Options
    The one fitted to my hire car last week insisted that I perform a U turn whilst in the fast lane of the M6 ! then again it was a womans voice......
  • Options
    I use mine for work - would never get around london without it. I have no sense of direction and to be honest I think its safer to listen to directions rather than look at a map and pay attention to the road at the same time.
  • Options
    DLDL ✭✭✭
    Which report recommends the cheapest garmin which you can get for £120 (think it is a street pilot but not sure). Haven't used one myself but am thinking of it as I have to go to loads of new places for my job and now the Winter is approaching it is no fun trying to read a map in the dark! My two work colleagues have bought one and they say it does the job just fine - think you can spend a fortune if you're not careful.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    I'm no Luddite, TD - but not once has my map ever taken me up a dead end, into a field, on a diverted route that I KNOW isn't as good as another in times of traffic congestion, or dropped me at Asda instead of Waitrose. I trust my map and my common sense implicitly.

so ner.
  • Options
    I have a Navman ICN530, it is fantastic. I upgraded from the ICN510 which is also fantastic.

I use mine for UK holidays and longer trips. It takes all the stress out of travelling and is small and portable so you could use it in a town or city centre if on foot.
  • Options
    I have a TomTom One.. I use it every day and it isn't perfect but it is a flipping lot better than using a map! Why would you want to use a paper map any more?

• Options
    I work in an office of 50 people. We all do 30,000 business miles per year and call to see people at home and business addresses all over the country. Last year we trialed all of the commercially available Sat Nav systems for three months. We ended up buying 50 Tom Tom systems. It's easy to use and very reliable. Some of the systems sent us the wrong way up one way streets, some sent us to dead ends, some sent us the (very) long way around. We mostly bought Tom Tom One but we also got a few of the more advanced ones (Tom Tom 500?). Can't recommend them enough.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    even though they sent you the wrong way...etc?

(that's not a snappy question, I'm genuinely interested)
  • Options
    Why are people more interested in the isolated occasion the sat nav makes a mistake or lacks 'local road knowledge' than in the thousands of times it will take you from A to B flawlessly and re-calculate your route instantly if you need to detour for any reason..

The things are an invaluable tool and are here to stay....

• Options
    Can I get one programmed so that it's Patrick Stewart directing me?!??!!

;o)
  • Options
    Sorry Jj, my crap grammar let me down again. It was the other systems that let us down, Tom Tom was the best, I'm not aware of it making any mistakes so far, certainly hasn't with me.
  • Options
    Although it didn't get you to Sodbury this weekend, X-ey baby! Where wuz ya?
  • Options
    I have Tom Tom 700

It's great and navigates me across Europe fantastically. You can update from the web so that new roads etc are included. It includes lots of voices so you can pick your man or woman to guide you or you can just have a map display and various types 3D or flat etc.

I like a map if I'm navigating but if I'm driving or want to sleep whilst husband drive it's invaluable.

It will choose 'points of interest' such as local beach, shops, marina etc and take you to them, which when I am abroad and don't know the area is fantastic. Often we'll program it to take us to local POI and then get distracted on route - you can drive where you fancy, ignore it or a map and then when you're ready to return home - select home and it will automatically know where you are and get you home.

It died in the heat a couple of times when we left it in the car on hot days (v hot)but we reset it and away we went!
  • Options
    Harumph - went out today to get the Tom Tom One from Tesco (which seems to be best price and double points). Been to two branches and checked the website and out of stock. Probably means that when they get them in stock they'll either have gone up or won't have the double points. Hey ho.