Options

ipod nano sports calibration

Hi,

I started running about 14 months ago after quiting smoking. I have progressed quite well and i am looking to run the Keswick half in two weeks. The only thing i have found is that my ipod nano sports kit may not be entirley accurate? I recently ran round derwant water in 1hr.24 (based on my nano) and it gave me a distance of 11.1 miles. After driving the same distance in my car it came up just over 10 miles... has anyone else noticed this? dont want to think i am a better runner than i really am ;P

Comments

• Options
    YorkieYorkie ✭✭✭
    When I first started using it, I found it was underestimating my distance by about 10% on each run, compared to aerial photography route measurement (Gmaps), but then I used it again recently and found it now overestimates my distances by about 5% so I just accept it's fairly inaccurate. I haven't calibrated it though, as I don't know of anywhere I can run an exact 400m.
  • Options
    I calibrate mine every few weeks or so. I know where 1 mile is when I run so if it comes in different I know I need to calibrate my Ipod. It's a case of trial and error and keeping an eye on it.
  • Options
    how have you all set up and keep the unit in calibration? have you found it more accurate if it is on the top of your trainer rather than the original position
  • Options
    Hi, Thanks for the response. I must admit i havent done much calibrating.. was unsure the best way to do it? i have the sensor on the top of my running shoe (held on to the tounge with tape :), guess this may effect the response also? I would love a step - by - step calibration guide if anyone has a system that seems to work well.