Options

muscular pain in lower leg - any ideas?

Hi,

What a great website - this is my first post in the forums and I'm loving the wealth of information on here. I've tried searching for this pain I'm experiencing but it's hard to describe.

I'm an on and off runner. Have done a few 10k races over 2 years but only train in the run up to the race, rather than maintaining my fitness through out the year.

Have been training for about 4 weeks for my latest 10K which is in about 3 weeks. I've got the fitness to run the distance but I want to improve my speed. I've careful to steadily increase my general running pace, or I'll sprint in bursts during a run. I have been increasing my stride as welll as my cadance.

When I run slightly faster than my normal pace (and my normal pace is slow! I get a pain in both my lower legs, just above the ankle, just below the shin, at the front. I'm pretty sure this is a muscular pain as I can usually stretch it out after the run. Although I feel the pain in both legs, the right legs suffers more than the left. If I keep up the pace I eventually have to stop and walk off the pain. Slowing down helps alleviate the pain but this is frustrating when I want to improve my overall speed. I'm not sure what other helpful information I can offer to describe this.

I'm currently running about 3 - 4 times a week, but last week I gave myself a 6-day rest to see if it helped. It didn't, and the pain came back after about 0.5 mile at average pace.

Is this simply matter of conditioning the leg/muscle? Lengthening my stride and running faster has affected the way my foot impacts the ground. Should I power through the pain? Could there be another explanation?

Any help is greatfully received.

Mike.

Comments