Options

Really tight calf's

I suffer from really tight calfs after I've exercised. I strech after and this only seems to have limited effect. Sometimes my calfs are even tight when I've done no exercise at all. Is there anythingI can do for this? Is there any advice that anyone can offer?

Comments

• Options

sports massage/deep tissue massage

excrutiatingly painful, but forces out the tightness

then you can 'self massage', but best going to a pro first to learn how it should feel

get a recommendation first (eg for your area) as some are better than others - plus of course you don't want to end up with some dickhead sprinkling you with patchouli oil and waving crystals at you

also, apparently, tight muscles are caused by the muscles being weak - so some weights work on your calves allegedly helps.  i say allegedly because, despite struggling with tight calves and dodgy achilles tendons forever, i have never quite managed to force myself to try this.

• Options
    look beyond the calves, the tightness could be coming from weakness in the gluteal muslces which will pull on the calf and hamstring, worth getting that bit chaecked out and see if the cause is where it appears to be
  • Options

Do you wear high heels??

(if you're male this may seem as a rather odd question...  if you're female it may contribute to your tight calves when running)

(waves to footman and swoons at the science... image )

• Options
    maybe weak gluteal muscles - I've had tight calves for ages, and then shin splints. Finally the shin splints led to me doing more cycling which seems to have strengthened my gluts. Calves aren't having to work so hard and my hamstring flexibility has improved.
  • Options
    get a foam roller - that should help
  • Options

Try skipping. Sounds odd, but will strengthen achillies, calves, hams and glutes! Good cv workout too.
  • Options
    Please go and get a massage.  Tight muscles WILL lead to injury if they aren't sorted.