Options

Why I hate dog walkers! aargh!

I don't know whether anyone else has encountered dog owners who cannot control their dogs.  I was out running yesterday and got jumped on by a fairly big dog, causing my leggings to rip and leaving me with a big bruise on my leg.  An argument ensued and the woman's comments were that "he's only a puppy!".  Why can't people control their animals.  I absolutely adore dogs but I just don't understand people like this.  Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Options
    sioUxsioUx ✭✭✭

I'm with you Megster.

I like dogs too but not irresponsible dog owners.

One let her dog jump up on me when I was off road in August. When trying to side step it my foot got stuck in a rut and I tore my left hamstring. The owner was put out I was pleased with the 'friendly' attention.

If only she knew what it meant. I missed a10k I was on target for a good (for me) time in and the Dublin marathon cos I couldn't run for 6weeks whilst having physio (not to mention the cost of that).

It also meant I'd still not got back to full fitness and pace when I started my FLM training. I know I'm never going to set the world on fire with my running but a PB for me feels like I've won.

Whinge over-nuff said

• Options
    Ah, you poor thing.  You were really badly affected by it which puts what happened to me into perspective.  It is amazing that one small action can create such a long lasting effect.  Like you I'm training for the FLM and as you know some of the runs can be quite tough and we could do without individuals like that.  Anyway, as you quite rightly put it, whinge over-nuff said! 
  • Options

I used to go walking around some hills that are near me.  One day I turned a corner to find this large dog running towards me, he stopped and then growled showing his teeth and kept snarling.  The owner came running up behind him and was yelling at the dog.  I froze and waited and made sure I did not make eye contact with the dog (I'd read somewhere you musn't do that).  The owner grabbed the dog, looking really nervous shouting 'he's never done that before..'. 

My first question was, how long have you owned the dog.  'Oh', he says, 'about two months'.  Where did you get him from?  'I rescued him'.  Really?  So what do you know about this dog and its background/treatment.  'We reckon he was mistreated by a woman, because he doesn't seem to like women much..'  Oh really?!  [inner thought, where is a frying pan so I can hit this tw*t over the head with it].  This dog should not be off the lead.  'Oh he's ever so friendly, he wouldn't do that again...'.  These people really exist... 

• Options

I was out the other night when some woman coming towards me with a labrador laughed as it jumped up at me and i fell over.

She soon stopped laughing when i got up and started kicking the granny out of the dog.

• Options
    ..but seriously it is not the fault of the dog.  It is the owner that needs to be put down.
  • Options

Theres a fairly long running thread on the General forum about this subject if anyones interested.

If you are attacked or menaced by a dog you should report it, even if you have no idea who the owner or the dog is. The reason is they might have attacked before or attack in the future and Plod can only act on the reports they get.

• Options
    FR the thing that worried me is, what if it had met a child instead of me.  It was during school hours so no kids about luckily.  So you say this should be reported to Plod?  I know my local Plod but never thought to mention it to him.  Suppose it's never too late..  This was last September-ish...
  • Options
    Hear Bloody Hear!
    I have been nipped on a footpath, Mrs Puffy has been bitten, but it was OK because the dog belonged to the brother of a local councillor and it was clearly her fault for being out, there is a dog that joins us on one our runs ,so that we get abuse from motorists assuming its ours.

I don't expect dog owners to understand about running, rythm, pulled muscles, etc but an acknowledgement of the inconvenience caused at the very least would be nice.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Irresponsible dog owners also annoy responsible dog owners. Especially when they attack their dogs. I used to have a golden retriever, Casper (he died about 4 years ago), but when I was walking him across a field when I was about 15, this alsation ran over and jumped on Casper and started biting his back. I was screaming at this bloke who owned the dog, 'GET YOUR FECKING DOG OFF MY FECKING DOG OR I'LL FECKING KILL HIM!!!', all the while kicking this alsation.

I don't know who was more scared, me (of Casper getting hurt, not me) or this bloke. If he couldn't control his dog, then he desreved to be scared. He soon ran off.

But anyway, yes, people should control their dogs. I'm not sure reporting anything to the police would make any difference though, there's no money in them doing anything about it. (And my sister's in the police, and she agrees).

• Options

I have a dog & love being out walking with him but I do agree there is nothing more annoying than an irresponsible dog owner. 

Nykie - my dog was also attacked by alsatians & it was a very traumatic experience, not made any better by the owner hitting his dogs with a metal chain to get them off my dog.  Yes, I did report them & plod did speak with them & at least it was on record that they were problem animals/owner.

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    I have never shouted so loud in my life Gerty, or been more angry and scared.