Options

10K nerves

Hi All.

This is all new to blogging in 10K races.  So here goes.  I really enjoy running and I've got my first 10K  on Sunday. I'm really excited about, but just a little nerves about finishing last or worst of all being lapped by the pick up truck that follows us around. I need support and a few kind words about what to do the night before and when to eat in the morning. The race starts at 11am, and yes I have remembered to set my clock forward. HELP!!!

Thanks

No more pies x   

Comments

• Options

Hello and welcome.  I had my first ever 10k last Saturday in the snow and hail.  I was soooo nervous that I would come last.  I hoped to beat 1hr 10 but the weather was so attrocious I finished 1hr and 13 470 out of 510 runners.

Even though I was slow (cars with runners going home were passing me!) I feel very proud that I actually did it!! Nobody really cared (they were probably all home having a cup of tea by then anyway!!!).

Good luck! You will do fine. Don't worry about others.  Stick to your own pace and just do your best!!

• Options

Hello No more pies - like the name.

I have my second 10k coming up soon, in about 4 weeks.  I know how you feel, all those questions went through my head too.  I did run alot when I was younger and participated in plenty of cross country and track events but back then I had the confidence to! 

I had plenty rest the night before and tried to chill out, which was kinda difficult as all I thought about was the race.  Doesn't matter where you finish in the field - this is your first one so just go out and enjoy it.

I managed my first one in 49:19 - but I didn't pace myself for getting a time in, I just wanted to complete it and felt so proud of myself when I crossed the line - best feeling ever.

How is your training going and what sort of schedule do you do? 

• Options

Hi Thistle and SlowT.

You see I'm nervous coz I can't spell nervous right today. 

Answer to your question Thistle is a 12 wk plan running 3 - 4 times a week and one of those a longer run.I reach a comfortable pace at about 3 miles then I can run for ever (I think!). 

You finished in a great time Thistle. I would like to do 1 hr as it's my first 10K, but I know in my heart I would love to do it in sub 1 hr  (59:59  ha ha)image

If it's not to cheeky what age group are you both in? Sorry to ask. I just like to know if I'm on the right course.

Thanks again for responding to a nervous 10K er

• Options

Hi No more pies!

First of all good luck on Sunday and well done on your training so far!!

Like you I was so so nervous before my first 10k (the city of Manchester 10k in June last year) and had loads of questions and silly thoughts (well they weren't silly to me at the time) one of which was I was terrified I was going to get lost!!  Once that starting gun had gone off though all my worries disappeared and I loved every minute of the race, the most important thing was to just enjoy the event and not to worry too much about your time, it will be your PB anyway!!

As for what to do the night before . . . . have a good tea of protein and carbs, my favourite is spaghetti bolognaise (minus the garlic) drink plenty of water, relax, avoid alcohol and try and get a good nights sleep in!!  Oh and get everything ready you need for the race.

In the morning make sure you get up in plenty of time to get ready, have breakfast and travel to the race.  It all depends on the individual what you have for breakfast and how long you leave it before the race.  For early races I tend to have a banana and a half a bottle of lucozade, if it's a bit later like yours I would try and have something like a bowl of porridge or muesli (only if you have a good couple of hours for it to digest though otherwise you may feel slightly sick!!)

Does this help No more pies? 

• Options
    hI EVERYONE VIRGIN TO THIS chat room ! my first 10k this sunday in lincoln have been training all winter with a friend who has never run . i have ran on and of for years since i was 12 ! really looking forward to it . want to show people that you can be very wobbly and run ! my friend has had a thigh injury from trying new trainers the week before the race ! she is a bit slower than me and im worried about staying with her as i find it uncomfortable especially up hills to go slower . i also dont wont to loose her ! or let my competivness take over !  thankyou for listening 
  • Options
    As a rule of thumb eat your last meal 3 hours before you run dont panic about what you eat the night before as long as it is healthy and not full of fat you dont need to worry about eating loads of carbs for a race of that distance.Just go out and run it enjoy every minute of it as it is all about doing it and taking part there are thousands of people out there that would just love to get to the start line let alone finishing it but cant be bothered you have so Go for it
  • Options

Hi No more pies 

I am 32 and 3 stone overweight.  I have been running for just 3 months and have already lost 2 stone so I am proud of my 1hr 13!!!! 

It sounds like you have been training really well and am sure you will get under 1 hr - it is amazing how much time you can gain in a race with the atmosphere etc

You go girl!!!

• Options

Hi NMP,

I am running with my better half on Sunday, she is doing her first ever 10k in Elgin (Scotland).
    She hates running but has worked really hard for this since christmas. Her longest runn so far has been around 5 miles but i know she will do it .

I am aiming to pace her home in around 1:15/1:20 but any time will be a Pb image
    Looking at last years results we will be very close to last but who cares ??! They will wait till we finish image

Good Luck and enjoy the support, especially in the last 500 yards and as you cross the line image

Adbru 

• Options

I am 35.  I do like finding out what others do to the build up of a 10k.  I am sure you will be fine and will enjoy it!  I am the same as you, after my first couple miles I get into a good pace and settle into the run fine. 

Let us know how you get on - Good Luck!!

• Options

Good Morning No More Pies

I did my first 10K six weeks ago and had exactly the same worries as you; was so nervous I almost burst into tears pulling into the venue carpark! Got strange looks from hubby and kids so pulled myself together quite quickly!

I came 187 out of 211 in 62:33 minutes which i was chuffed with. Even managed to sprint the last 150m to the finish. I guarantee you will get such a buzz from finishing the race; I was still on a high  three days after the race!

The nerves will disappear when you start running. Don't  try to catch up with the faster runners who pass you at the start, run at your own pace and you will be fine.

Race day breakfast for me is a small bowl of porridge with a spoonful of honey at least three hours before the race. Seems to work for me.

I will be doing my 2nd 10K tomorrow (Bournemouth Bay Run) which has a very early 9:30 start.........

Good luck for tomorrow and enjoy the race.

Let us know how you get on.

P.S. I am a bit of a late convert to running, I am 40 and started running June/July last year.... you will be fineimage

• Options

Hi Everyone,

You've all been as supportive. SlowT I'm 41, but who cares.  I was 3 stone over weight, but now I'm proud to say I weigh 9 stone flat. AP I started last June infact June 8th. It's made me feel really fab and alive to run.

I'm starting to really get excited about it all. Helpful notes from you all. I' so pleased I started the strand.

So again thanks and here goes. Pasta for tea tonight and porridge  tomorrow. Debbie it's the Lincoln 10K I'm doing what's your number I look out for you?  The count down continues!!!

Thanks gang   image

xxx 

• Options

Good Luck in the race tomorrow . . . . let us know how you get on!!

x

• Options
    image good luck. am new to this but ran half marathon 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    Been thinking how you got on today No more pies ---- hope all went well image
  • Options

Hi Thistle,

The day was fantastic !!! The weather  was great. It's been sunny all day here.the race started 25 mins late coz of cars that wouldn't move.Over 4000 runners waiting for 2 cars parked in the wrong place and refusing to move until they had done what they had come into town to do. Shame on them, but the event was brill, brill, brill.  After 5K I settled in well and just plodded home. on the clock it said 59:04, but my hubby said take off 1 min for getting over the start line with the chip I was wearing.

So thank you for your support I'm hooked and want to get sub 55 in my next race which in Woodhall Spa 1st June. It's suppose to be a go one.

And to everyone else that have been a great help this week. I can do it!!!  image

NMP xxx

• Options

Well done you image that is a fab time, glad it all went well and you enjoyed it.  Even though those pesky drivers wouldn't shift! 

That is it now, you are hooked, lined and sinkered....

4 weeks until my second 10k, hope it is a day like it was today here - sun shining too.

• Options

Well done NMP!  I was thinking of you in the lovely sunshine. You certainly had great weather for it.

I am sure on your next one you will great too.  Before you know it, you will be doing marathons!!!

SlowT 

• Options

Well done!!  That is an excellent time, you will definately be hooked now you have the bug!! 

x

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

Whoo-hoo well done image

Everyone suffers from nerves whether a beginner or seasoned runner, great that you enjoyed the day.
    Fab that your planning the next one already !!

• Options

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for thinking about me. Yes, the sun shone and I've just got  race time from this great forum  I know of! 56:23 oh yes, not quite 55 but hey who cares. Bring it on!!!

Take  care and good luck to everyone that has a race coming up  image