Options

breakfast questions

Hi,

I am pretty new to running - I started about 1 month ago - and am so far loving every second of it. Over the last couple of weeks, I have started running at about 6am before I have to get ready for work. However, I have a problem with breakfast timings.

Is it better to eat breakfast before or after an early morning run? I really don't fancy anything much before 6am (and I have read that you should eat up to an hour before exercising - how early would I have to get up??!!!) but usually eat when I get back.

Any thoughts or pointers would be great.

Comments

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Whatever makes you comfotable, JC< I would have thought. if you're that new, I guess you won't be running any huge distances, so won't need to take any major fuel on board.

If you eat when you don't want to, and then run, I reckon you'll feel pretty icky. It's a mistake I made!

Perhaps a drink - and a banana if you feel you have to?

:o) Keep at it!
  • Options
    Thanks!

I'm not running too far at the mo. - just a few laps of the local park.

Thing is that I really want to find a routine that I can stick to. My goal is to run in the local 10k next year.

Best get some more bananas in then!
  • Options
    i don't normally do mornings but when i do i have a slice of buttered toast before i go. Made a big boo-boo this morning though by having cereal instead (no butter in the house) and feeling icky! Guess it's really just trial and error.
  • Options
    I don't go great distances either, but run on empty stomach as feel icky with anything in before hand.
  • Options
    Yeah, I tried cereal before a morning run once and once only! Felt so rough after about 1/2 mile have vowed never to do it again!

However, cereal when I get back is a different matter - it really sorts me out.
  • Options
    I'm an early morning week day shambler (5am-ish), all I have before I go out is black coffee, when I get back I usually have a banana and a slice of toast, then I have some cereal at work (about 9:30 or so)..... On a Sunday as I have more time, I'll have coffee and toast with honey about 45 mins before I go out for my looooong shamble.

Like Julijoo said, you just have to experiment until you find what suits you.
  • Options
    MM ✭✭✭
    Mullerice (vanilla custard) or ordinary rice pudding works well for me. Even just a couple of spoonfuls is enough to take the rumbles away so not too heavy on the stomach for running. It's really yummy too!
  • Options
    A small amount of porridge if you can be bothered and have time ! I asked this sort of question myself a few weeks back and out of the answers I received that was the best - the mashed banana idea rifts back something chronic !!
  • Options
    I'm a fan of porrige, but if i'm planning a really early morning run for some reason, i find a glass of water and a couple of spoons of plain (Muller thick and creamy) yogurt lines the stomach for a run of up to 5 miles. Taking a sports drink to sip also helps if i do a bit longer.
    Generally, though, i have breakfast with hubby at around 6.30 am, then head out the door for my run around 8 am.
  • Options
    I run early mornings at weekends usually piling out of the door about seven but I don't (and have no wish to) eat anything beforehand. I sustain myself with the thought of the big bowl of creamy porridge and gallons of coffee I'll have when I get back home.
  • Options
    I can usually make an extra mile or two on the thought of some bacon when I return... and maybe a couple more if there is some black pudding too.
  • Options
    I've never used the 'fried breakfast' reward but now you come to mention it - If I do another mile I can have an egg too - might just work !
  • Options
    i generally try not to eat for 2 hours before a run, and you certainly wont need it with the distances you're doing

ditto for long runs (marathon distance +) although i start eating from 15 minutes after the start
  • Options
    Any thoughts on when best to breakfast after a run? I usually like to bath and stretch before my toast and peanut butter, but do I remember hearing that its better to eat asap? I tried it this morning and managed to keep it!
  • Options
    Generally, I can't eat as soon as I come back in from a run. I need to chill out a bit first.

Begining to run a bit further now - can manage a whole 2 miles (I am just begining)! Perhaps my first 5k by xmas?!
  • Options
    Never mind xmas, how about bonfire night? You've done the hard bit getting up to 2ml, the extra one and a bit will be a doddle by comparison. Just keep going!
  • Options
    Just remember Jiminy, not too fast at first. Do the extra distance at a nice even pace and you'll be surprised how well you manage it - I started running outdoors in the last couple of months, first time since leaving school 20 years ago. Suddenly I find myself entered in a 10K but I know as long as I'm slowish ( and nothing nasty happens ) I should finish it ! And I can't wait !
  • Options
    I don't think there is too much danger of me going too fast!

I will have a look to see if there are any nice, beginner-friendly-looking 5k races in my area. I know there a few nice sounding 10k races around. I hope to go in for one or two of them next year.

To be 100% honest, I am a bit daunted by the prospect of a race. It all seems a bit......serious!

Good luck with the 10k Rince (will The Luggage be helping you round??!). When is it? Let me know how you get on.
  • Options
    JC - don't worry about entering a race. I felt the same as you before my first one but it was really good fun. All the speedy types whizz off and then us mere mortals just do our own thing. My philisophy is that each time I "race" I'm racing against myself......

Go on, do it - you know you wanna!!

;o)
  • Options
    Cheers Sham. It still just seems like a world away from running round the park!!

I'll have a nose around and see what there is near me. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Oh how I wish all those little luggage feet could help ....
    My inaugural event is the Cancer Research 10K at Castle Howard on Oct 5th which is now less than 3 weeks away - Aghhh !!!

I know what you mean about it seeming so serious - When my entry pack arrived and I saw my number and instructions I nearly bottled it. I'll just womble along with the fun runners at the back and finish when I finish.
  • Options
    That's exactly what I do Rincewind....it'll be fun just enjoy the day. You could also check out the events forum on here to see if anyone else is doing it and meet up....
  • Options
    Thanks for that - I intend to try and enjoy it no-matter where I come - I keep reminding myself its all in a good cause !
    Tried looking on the events forum but all I can find is people moaning about the entrance fee - I know its a lot but its all for charity and includes a T-shirt so what the hell.