Options

(unnofficial)Tips for Sunday

If you haven't seen Run Fat Boy run do, rush out and get a copy its a great film and the wall scene is brilliant.... as is the final yards to the finish line.

So Saturday Night. what are you going to do, get an early night... I think not sleep hahahaha no chance, your mind will be racing, your heart will be pumping and you will run every inch of the past four months training and the race at least twice over!  (refer to the first line of this posting for an idea of an alternative to sleep!)

Now some BIG pointer sfor you...

At the start join the que for the loo as soon as you get to the start. When you've been rejoin the que. They are long and you will always want to go as they start the race (or is that me!)

The supporters are brilliant, remember to have your name on your shirt this is a BIG must DO. There are 500,000 spectators out there all waiting to shout out your name. Also stay away from any runners in fancy dress as they steal all the glory! image

Find a celebrity and run near them. This is your best chance of being on national TV for the couch potatos back home! (although running behind Charlie Dimmock - and then being beaten by her in 2002 is not to be recomended!)

If your not going for time why rush... when else are the streets of london closed down just so you can run in the middle of the road ?

Oh and on that subject don't forget your camara for the imporatant shots as you run over Tower Bridge.

Comments

• Options

When the pain kicks in if your running for charity think of the people you are running for and thier pain, you are running to help them. The pain they are going through is greater than yours. They can cope and get through it with your help, so you can get through your pain by calling on theirs. If your not runnig for charity then look around at those that are and apply the above motivational theory.

Get yourself registered on the URWFRC postings here for some much needed support at mile 17 (Mudchute), and if your not running go over and join them.

For your spectators get them to wear something distinctive so you know where they are on the crowd, also make sure you agree with them which side of the road they will be on, spotting a runner is hard, spotting a supporter even harder!

Also a piece of advise from the Penguin in 2002... As you go past Buckingham palace take a second to straigten your hair, ladies maybe apply a little bit of lipstick, for all frreshen up, then run like crazy down the last stretch accross the finish line looking like you are fresh as a daisy and not about to keel over and collapse. The people in the stands will love you for it and will cheer you every single step of the way which in turn will boost your confidence and performance.

At the finish line double check the surrounding competitors and choose where you cross based on them... you dont want someone in a tight pink lycra running gear ruining your finishers photo (happened to me!).

POST RACE enjoy the train home. You will find little old ladies and pregnant women will get up to offer you a seat as they show you the respect that running 26.2 miles deserves...(oh and dont change out of your running gear and freshen up... that way you get more space to spread your feet out as everyone avoids you ... and trust me you will want to spread out on the train... Also make sure you wear you foil blanket and medal to ensure that you are admired as being the greatest athlete on earth.

Lastly and most importantly ENJOY YOURSELF. You may say never again - until the online entries are released!) - or you may like me on my first time cry tears of joy. Either way you have put in the work, you have run in rain and snow, sun and wind. Sunday 26th April is YOUR DAY.

Congratulations you are a winner to get this far and a super hero when you cross the line...

See you there...

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Top tip for spotting your supporters.......... get them some shiny coloured helium balloons.  Make sure you know what colour their balloons are and they'll be much easier to spot in the crowd.
  • Options
    or a 5ft yellow banana with your name written on it in big letters.  It was a godsend last year.
  • Options

re toilets

if you are at red start, join the loo q when the start hooter goes off

it wil take you 20 mins to cross the start line anyway, and you are chipped so who cares

one way of having a nice quiet pee

• Options
    Those ‘post race’ tips are spot on, its amazing how the FLM makes people in London *actually* talk to each other. If you are a Londoner, don’t get freaked out because people  look at you on the Tube or even want to talk to you… ! My tip is..  when you start to feel down  later on in the race (and you will) start running at the side of the route, the spectators can get very personal and will spur you on. Once you are fully motivated again pull back in to the middle – and so on.
  • Options
    Dont be shocked when you get to the last underpass and all the blokes are lined up against the wall peeing. 
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    It's not just blokes either...
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

1. Eating and drinking beforehand. Have a good breakfast and drink a lot; yes, it's a pain to get to the toilets (although there are no queues for urinals) but that's not a reason to go in dehydrated. Nice strong coffee too. Take a sugary drink to quaff in the minutes before the race too.

2. Eating and drinking during the race. Eating or drinking on the run is, in my experience, the easiest way to ruin your day. You may have tried it in training, but at race pace things are different. Eat very cautiously and don't gulp drinks; if your stomach starts cramping your race is over and you face a very uncomfortable shuffle to the finish.

3. Eating and drinking afterwards. The one part of the London Marathon where I really need drinks a fuelling is the finish, and there's not enough there. The goody bag will have some stuff, but I daydream of the hot lemon tea at the end of the Venice marathon. I'm taking a thermos this time in my kit bag.

4. Grease up. Under the arms, between the legs, and fabric tape on the nips. If you miss anything, it'll hurt.

5. Suncream. If there's a chance of rain, you don't want suncream on your forehead because you'll get it in your eyes. Wear a hat instead.

6. Pacing. If you break your half marathon PB in the first half, you're really in trouble (I did this once).

7. Race.  Set yourself an achievable stretch target based on shorter race times and go for it; don't aim for 4 hours just because your schedule says it's for 4-hour runners when you could be doing it in 3:15.  Leave the phone, camera, ipod, garmin and camelbak at home and get stuck in.

8. Have a sense of perspective.  It's just a race.  There are great races every week. The FLM gets the hype, but there are lots of other ones.  For some it's a life-changing experience, for others it's a bit disappointing.  It's not one I particularly enjoy myself, it's just that I hate watching it on TV even more.

Just an opinion.

• Options
    JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Never have guessed it wasn't a favorite of yours Tmap image

Thanks to you all though for the tips, very helpful for a first timer who is very excited!

• Options

Man, this is *so* not "just a race" for me!!

But great tips, thanks!

Can anyone tell me w.r.t. baggage, when do you have to hand your kit bag in?

• Options

If its hot do not keep throwing water over your head as well as running through the showers,did this in 2007 and by mile 15 my feet were soaking wet and felt the start of blisters coming on on the bottom of both feet,not a nice feeling when you still have 11 miles to go! By mile 20 may baseball cap felt like a dumbell on me nut,could hardly hold my head up.And the other reason for not doing it and the most important,it deprives the slower runners of taking water on board

Good luck all and enjoy one of the best marathons in the world

• Options
    cheers everyone for the tips i'm sooo excited image
  • Options

You can hand your kit bag in when you are ready, but once it's in, it's in. They won't look for it for you if you have forgotten something.

And they will keep reminding you over the tannoy to hand your bags in until you get so sick of hearing it you just hand it in / throw it at them......

My dad and ex watched me hand my bag in, said 'OK, you are here safe now, see you later', and they buggered off to Starbucks to get some breakfast.  Didn't even wait til the start of the race to see me off.....

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    9am Basil. Before you hand it in make sure you have everything you need to keep warm/dry (old t-shirt) plus a last bit of loo roll & anti abrasive vaseline/tape.

I agree with Tmap on point 7 (amongst others), leave the techie stuff behind and just run and enjoy the atmosphere. When you run over Tower Bridge the hairs will stand up on the back of your neck - no mobile gadget can substitute that sort of high.
  • Options

If its hot do not keep throwing water over your head as well as running through the showers

A running mate gave me a great tip before the FLM 2007 when it was boiling and that was to take a small sponge to soak with water. I had one of those little square diswashing ones with the scrubby bit cut off.

That sponge was a bl**dy godsend!

• Options
    Dont let your family boss you round on Saturday. I remember in 2003 my Dad took charge and we didn't end up eating till 10.30 at Night. Be a bit selfish and do what you have planned to do!
  • Options

If you are using your Garmin, remember to disable the autopause function. If you dont, the time will stop when you run in the underpasses or lose signal and you might be running down the mall thinking you are comfortably sub 4 when you are actually 4:01 or more likely 4:31 in my case.

Try and get a top for the vittel water bottles. The helpers remove them before handing them out. This enables you to run with the water bottle rather than having a couple of sips and then slinging it in the gutter (a big help in 07).

If you have'nt already, then go and cut your toenails. Don't leave it until the day before in case you cut them too short and end up with sore toes.

• Options
    At the expo you can pick up the lucozade tops at thier stand. 
  • Options

following on frmo tmap's advice - drink a 500ml bottle of carb drink when you wake and then sip at a bottle of water until 8.45 a.m.. This gives you a full hour to bleed the system of any excess fluids.

Love the tip about preening yourself for the finish image I had a torrid time last year and finished 15mins off schedule but even though I was suffering coming down Birdcage Walk I made sure I tried to take in the atmosphere at the palace. It's all over far too quickly. Even if you're in a world of pain and your day is not going great please try and take a look around and enjoy the race for what it is.

Don't be embarassed if you cry near or at the finish. I had a little blart after I crossed the finish line last year and I felt ashamed about it. I needn't have done - once you cross that line you're a superstar, whether you've done 2h24mins or 5h24mins

• Options
    Tmap wrote (see)

8. Have a sense of perspective.  It's just a race.  There are great races every week. The FLM gets the hype, but there are lots of other ones.  For some it's a life-changing experience, for others it's a bit disappointing.  It's not one I particularly enjoy myself, it's just that I hate watching it on TV even more.

That's a very good point.  I'd add to that though (and from personal experience) if everything goes horribly wrong for you put it down to experience, learn from it and try again.  If it takes more than one attempt to get it right, memories of past failures will make your eventual success all the sweeter.

• Options
    Matchstick Man wrote (see)

Don't be embarassed if you cry near or at the finish. I had a little blart after I crossed the finish line last year and I felt ashamed about it. I needn't have done - once you cross that line you're a superstar, whether you've done 2h24mins or 5h24mins

I cried tears of joy in 2002 when I first finished. The feeling is like nothing else on earth... TIP when you phone your partner and tell them how elated you are watch what you say... I phoned the (ex) wife and said that it was the best day of my life and crossing the finish line was better than sex... She got a little upset and said something about wedding day, birth of children...

I am the worlds biggest failure. My marathon target times were

2002 FLM Target sub 4, Actual 4.27image

2003 Kent Coastal Target sub 4 Act 4.15

2003 Abingdon Target sub 4 Act 4.45 - lack of sleep night before 

2004 FLM Target sub 3.30, Act 4.26 (was I depressed after this result)

2005 Safaricom - get round - quite at half way

2007 Disney Target sub 4 got injured in training so revised to simply finnsh - Act 5.45 (and physio !)

2008 Beachy Head Walked it

2008 Hastings Target Sub 4 Actual 3.27

2009 FLM Target sub 3.15 Actual - lets see on Sunday......

So keep at it Hastings is one of the toughest course but I got a PB that blew away all expectations, and it wasn't until mile 23 that I realised how well I was doing. and yes I did cry (alot) at the end the elation was like... well suffice to say when I called my partner I chose my words very very carefully...

• Options

I like the tip about the sponge. I wrecked my feet at the 2007 FLM because they got soaked, so I'll take your tip.

My top tip is to run in a cycling jersey.  They unzip quite a way so you can cool down but more importantly, they have pockets.  You can put your gels, caffeine tablets, etc in here rather than pinning them to your shorts.  If it bobs around too much, tuck it into your shorts and the elastic will fit just over the bottom of the pockets.

• Options

not long now

good luck to all

• Options

thanks Mick

easy easy easy

• Options

we'd make it look easy if we were there i can tell you

it's total physcological preperation after basic fitness

you all enjoy it

we'll be running rural Shakespeare FM in i hope around 5 hours

• Options

Ashley Smith,

Brilliant message about crying....

I like to think of myself as a man, but blubber at the earliest opportunity when it comes to stuff like this...

I just can't stop myself!!

I reckon i might shed a tear or two at the finish line....

In fact, I'm welling up now....... image

• Options

ermmm - take a banana into the toilets in case the loo paper has run out . . . .
    (Rome marathon 2005!)

• Options

Wise words micknphil,i m no marathon veteran but you are spot on

" Enjoy the day whatever it brings for you"

image

• Options

Take a nice comfy rucksack and put the Flora bag inside that for the journey there and back. You don't want the discomfort of the strings over one shoulder after the race. Sounds gay i know but you won't be wanting to carry ANYTHING after the race so it eases the pain a little ... says me... who's never run a marathon before! (it's what i heard once...) 

Good luck all.