Options

A Day In The Lakes

Did this last year and what a cracking event.

48 quid for a half ironman distance event in what is a stunning setting.

Should be there again this year.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    I would lurve to do this one but not mastered OW swiming and never run a half marathon. Can get my bike up Kirkstone I think image if it's the one with the mine at the top.
  • Options
    Calf - whats the name of the event?  are you referring to the Lake District? 
  • Options
    Apologies - ignore.  Guess name of thread is name of event?!!
  • Options

its not an easy course....toughest I have ever done. The run is particulalry tough with the climbing and it being off road. But its soooo picturesque

• Options
    hmmmm, is this too close to Roth? Really like the sound of an off road run.
  • Options
    *notes date in sherpa diary* image
  • Options
    Can I take it that as well as the 'lumpy' bike and run course that the lake will be cold enough to freeze the assets off a brass monkey?
  • Options

it wasnt too bad this year. I was expecting  to be cold but it certinaly wasn't any worse than Bala if not slightly warmer and not  a prob.

I'm not doing roth...well not racing anyway but think it was 2 weeks before zurich year year. I worked hard on the bike and the first half of the run  and  then eased back thinking about zurich (I was also knackered at that point)

• Options

Hmmmmmm week befor IMDe is a bit of an ask...........

Will do it one year though.

Up there in may so have we a link to the bike course as would be good to have a lash round

• Options

bike course

You can stop off in Shap and pick up some trainers from the NB factory shop image

• Options

Cracking race last year, which I might well do again. There was a wee bit of traffic on the way down Kirkstone, but the highlight was the vintage tractor rally we disrupted - weaving between the old Massey Fergusons was a very surreal moment in a fantastic race.

• Options
    yup im in - are entries open already?

• Options
    nope - 1st of November... same as the outlaw - gonna be a expensive day....
  • Options
    blimeyTB - how is the bike route compared to IMUK?

i know the run route will be tough- im not a lover of fell running or more to the fact - non-tarmac runs....

but its just round the corner to me compared to Wimbleball which i did last year and the missus griped all the way down and back.....

• Options

Compared to IMUK - well, it's a single loop, the first few miles are completely flat along the shore of Ullswater. Kirkstone is a long climb, bit steeper and longer than Sheephouse Lane. The downhill on the other side was quite crowded with traffic, so more of a test of bikehandling than anywhere on the IMUK course. There's a nice fast quiet section until the long slow climb of Shap Fell - a good few miles of gentle climb, less steep than SHL but quite exposed if the wind's up. After that it's all gently downhill back to T2. I took IMUK quite easy, in 6.30 and did ADITL in 3.10, so make of that what you will. I do a flat 56m in about 2.40 though.

The run route has about 3 -4 miles tarmac in total tops. I did it in 2 hours exactly, wearing innov8 roclite 315s which were perfect, although it was very dry on the fells. I would usually be close to 1.30 for a HIM run.

A great event, took me about 45mins longer than a flat HIM like the vit, but twice as much fun. And straight back into Ullswater to cool off afterwards. Magic.

• Options
    BTB youve sold it to me big style....

i have inov8 rocs 315 not a great deal of cushioning though..

imuk 7.27 for me and my half are more 140 than 130 so i think i'll be a good 1 or 2 behind you, nevertheless sounds a great day out.

if i remember rightly you satyed over with the kids the night before - was that camping and did the kids enjoy it?

are you doing again this year?

• Options
    I like the sound of this one as well, it's just been added to my shortlist
  • Options

SS - you do remember rightly. We stayed at a B+B in Pooley Bridge, 10mins walk down the Lake shore to the start. Loads of people did camp, though, and had a great time by all accounts. My kids struggle to sleep in the summer when it's too light, so we chose curtains over canvas.

I'm not sure whether we'll all be free that weekend as my wife's job's about to change, but if we can I'll do it as a warm up for The Outlaw IM 5 weeks later. It was a great sharpener for IMUK this year.

• Options
    BTB - i fancy a recce ride of the bike route like we did for IMUK - if you and anyone else for that matter fancies it early sat/sun morning let me know. JP would prob join too.

• Options
    just checked the profile of this and helvellyn - awesome

BTB - how does this compare wit helvellyn bike - is it a similar route? elevation etc
  • Options
    Sore Shins wrote (see)
    BTB - i fancy a recce ride of the bike route like we did for IMUK - if you and anyone else for that matter fancies it early sat/sun morning let me know. JP would prob join too.
    Sounds like a good idea but not until next year, most weekends are tied up now until then
  • Options

Naah - Helvellyn is only 38 miles from memory, not much to it other than the Struggle and drops down Kirkstone the way ADITL goes up. I think ADITL bike took about 50 mins longer than Helvellyn. There's no point on ADITL where I saw anyone walk on the bike route, but plenty do at Helvellyn. Helvellyn has a proper hands-and-knees fell route as well. Both great races - must do at least once.

If I can get up to the Lakes next year I might take you up on the reccie offer. Could be really hardcore and reccie them both as they are next door neighbours!

• Options
    yup - next year then it is - hardcore or single - im up for either

only 38 miles ..... the wifes rolling her eyes next to me!!

you and your sport she says...
  • Options
    blimeythatsbendy wrote (see)

Naah - Helvellyn is only 38 miles from memory, not much to it other than the Struggle and drops down Kirkstone the way ADITL goes up. I think ADITL bike took about 50 mins longer than Helvellyn. There's no point on ADITL where I saw anyone walk on the bike route, but plenty do at Helvellyn. Helvellyn has a proper hands-and-knees fell route as well. Both great races - must do at least once.

If I can get up to the Lakes next year I might take you up on the reccie offer. Could be really hardcore and reccie them both as they are next door neighbours!

I saw people walking up the Kirkstone pass with their bikes - I might as well have walked, the length of time it took me to get up there!

This is an absolute bugger of a race,definitely not for the faint hearted! I thought I was going to die on the run - top tip is to take a hydration belt as if it's a sunny as last year you will definitely need it at the top of Fusedale. I didn't and dehyrdated badly, which really didn't help. Also, practice fell-running, another thing I failed to do before the race image

I can't believe I would even contemplate doing this again. Yet I am. Why???? 

• Options
    toptips there popup - cheers - i'll def bear them in mind