Options

Tuesday 26th October 2010

Something stirred within me

Morning! Hope the hangover isn't too bad Paddy image

What:                   short swim session.
Why:                     it's Tuesday/time constrained.
Last hard:            3/10.
Last rest:             23/10.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

morning

Congrats again Paddy.  for the sub 2:45 and the bronze!  You deserve that hangover! 

What: 5.3 miles with some sharkie bits
    Why: time to mix it up a bit
    Last hard: bits of that
    Last rest: 6 April

HR was up a bit today but I suspect that is stress related. I jogged 1.5 miles.  From here there is a stretch of - as it turns out - around 0.4 of a mile.  The road has a very gentle incline. The plan was to run fast as far as the pavement took me, then jog back again. Repeat.  It looks like this: (pace/av HR/max HR)

1.00 mile:        10:08  /128  /143 (mostly downhill)
    0.59 of a mile: 10:50  /136  /144 (mostly uphill)
    0.45 of a mile:   8:41  /156  /166
    0.41 of a mile:   9:53  /147/  165 (whoops, hardly a jog recovery!)
    0.41 of a mile:   8:50  /158/  167
    0.14 of a mile: 10:27  /153/  166 (this took me to a round mile)
    1 mile:                9:49  /147/  152 (meant to be jogging but it's downhill)
    1 mile:              10:15  /149/  162 (all uphill)
    0.3 of a mile       9:51  /150/  162 (all downhill)

Reasonably pleased that I can manage sub 9 m/milling for around half a mile. Just need to do a bit more of it.  

Have a good one

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 90 minutes of Cadence intervals d&d
    run lunchtime
    run PM
    Gym PM
    Why: I could tell you but...
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Friday

Having upped my mileage lately I struggled to up my pace last night. 5.20 pace felt more like 4.20 pace !!!!
  • Options

Morning all 

Well, I celebrated in style last night, Absolutely delighted with myself. Big thanks for the comments.

Report:

Got to start early and soaked up the atmosphere. I knew i was feeling good – the training went well and i tapered according to plan.As soon as the gun went i kept telling myself to keep the pace controlled – kept it at 6.23 per mile for first few miles. I felt good and was running comfortably. I got in with a group who were targetting 2.45 and stuck with them to halfway. I felt good enough to press on and upped the pace slightly (passed halfway at 1.22). Was miling now at 6.10 per mile and feeling great.

I kept on (in a positive way) checking  how i was feeling and nothing was feeling under stress. Got to 16/17 miles and still felt good. I remembered how i felt at this stage last year and when i was in big pain and swore i’d never run a marathon again. I’m glad i didn’t follow that feeling!!.

I got to 20 miles still feeling good and was passing lots of runners at this stage – every time getting a small boost. I drank water at every station whether i felt like it or not and drank a half bottle of energise sport which was given out 3 or 4 times. This settled well and i didn’t feel as though i needed the gels – discarded them at 20 miles.

Miles were going past quickly – didn’t even see some of the markers. Heading into town for the last few miles and the crowds were great. Miles still flying past and all of a sudden it was 21, 22, 23 miles. Passed a clubmate at 24 miles and felt for him big time. I knew his target was well gone!Time to focus on my own race again and soaked up the crowds.

I ran down the finishing straight with arms in the air and that feeling was one of the best in my life!!Finished in 2.43.24 official time.

I know it’s the advice that everyone gives and we all find it hard to follow, but the key to a good marathon (once you’ve prepared well) is a conservative first few miles.

On checking the results see that I was 3rd M45 – National Bronze medal and €75.00 for my efforts.

V happy and must admit drinking far too many pints of Stout last night.

Off over to London for the weekend on Thurs evening with Mrs PM (I might have a run along the Thames (or not – i’ll see how I feel)All the best

• Options
    Great report, Paddy!  I think yours was a race that we'd all love to experience one day - feeling strong throughout.  The conservative start will have paid a large part and maybe, just maybe I'll remember that when I run VLM this year ...  Again, BIG congratulations on a truly awesome 2:43 and bronze.  Well done.

Good grief, Gobi.  That's some training ... how do you cope with all the washing??  image

mava: looks like a good session there. I like these type of workouts. 

What: 13 miles
    Why: base
    Last hard: getting up but it was all forgotten when I saw the sun rise over the Hamburg skyline. Just beautiful!!!
    Last rest: Friday
    Lyrics: no
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Great stuff Paddy. Congrats on the bronze image

NZC - saw your comment re: no breakfast and marathons. I never have breakfast before any race, but most of my running was done pre-breakfast so it was a natural thing for me. I basically had 'breakfast' the night before about an hour before bed, and then just some coffee and PSP22 on race morning.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

paddy it just all sounds spot on, how happy you must be!!!

mava, nice session

what: swimming am, 510 metres, weights, steam sauna, lovely start, club session tonight

why: gym membership, got to make more effort, oh and tubby belly!!

last hard: swimming with aching arms

last easy: yesterday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options

Great report Paddy have to agree about the start as well (never done a marathon but several 1/2 marathon plus events).

I am starting to approach races by splitting them into 3 phases

Phase 1 - settling into race - getting into a group and finding a pace

Phase 2 - consoladation stage - keeping it going and assessesing how I feel etc to see how hard to push and when 

Phase 3 - the reward stage -  increasing pace, pushing for the finish (and just wanting to get it over and done withimage)

These phases are not always equal distance and can change slightly in content, for example in some of the shorter fell races you need to push hard at the start to avoid getting caught in traffic at stiles etc.

Just over 4 miles in the wind and rain this morning nice and easy

Club run this evening and going to try and run with a faster group to use the run as a tempo type run

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Bum. Went to post and pressed wrong key...

• Options

A'noon.

Again:Great run Paddy .

What: 4.5M Steady and got totally soaked.

Why: It was pouring down.

MadameO: Been there too often to mentionimage

Lyrics: Think so.

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Right, let's start again.

Afternoon.

Great report Paddy, and FAB going on the bronze - congratulations again!!

I'm one of those people who finds it hard to be conservative with the pace in the early stages, and know it's something I have to work on. My problem is that mentally, I feel comforted if I have those extra few minutes to spare from early on in the race, and panic if I don't - I suppose it's a matter of getting to the stage where I feel confident enough in my ability to maintain my goal pace. Paul, I like your race strategy - that sums it up nicely.

LMUH - I admit that being ill most of the week helped with the restraint! Was going crazy by the end of it though. Next is the XC season... have decided to give the women's league races another shot, after my hilariously farcical debut in 2006. Hopefully a road 10k mid-December too. The plan is to concentrate on the shorter distances until January, before marathon training starts again.

Chickadeee, I've wondered the same about the washing. I did two full loads of kit the other day and it was only from two weeks - both of which were from the tapering phase!!

Gobi, I'll never get to 5:20 or 4:20 pace in my lifetime, but imagine that I'd feel like I was dying at either! 

What: 400m intervals in the gym

Why: Back into speedwork, and not quite ready to embrace the track yet even though I know I have to at some point.

Last hard: Resisting another piece of cake.

Last rest: Sunday

Lyrics: No

Have a good day all!

• Options

Ace report Paddy - fantastic result - PB and medal!

Just getting some lunch then need to settle to a rather long and complicated report that I need to write - tell me off if you see me here again before late afternoon please.

• Options
    Very fine indeed Paddy! Wow!

Riggsy - Even though I am at the other end of any "race", I think I know what you mean. Although I don't ever run in a group, stage 1 most certainly is settling in, getting the mindset and the discipline right, and a large part of that is sticking to the plan and not being panicked or drawn by optimism to an unwise pace. Stage two is the bit I love - just ticking over on schedule. There's got to be a stage 3. Shame about that.

Don't normally have anything to report, but this is not a normal week. I had to deliver a letter the other side of town, so I went out in wet gear and ran it over. MM backpack got properly wet on its maiden voyage (took a couple of pounds of onion with me, as the letter didn't weigh anything. I like it. i think it likes me. Ran cautiously, partly because legs were grumbly, partly because I am not 100% convinced that the cold has decided not to happen. It would be daft to encourage it.

Having to watch weight again, so made myself a huge and yummy salad for lunch. The plan is to shed another 5kg between now and MM. I should think a bit harder about how to have a salad at lunch at work.

go well all

• Options

Hello all

Wabo - great efffort making two workouts today

Paddy - a well deserved medal there. Hope the recovery goes well.

Birkmyre - heavy rain coming in again eh ......

Madame O - I am doing Birmingham XC league on Saturday. I live very near the course fortunately - it is a bit wet & muddy and Mrs Hound will be ordering all race footwear to be soaked in a bucket before being allowed near the house afterwards image. It is a good course though and nice to be able to jog there from home as warm up. With your fitness from the marathon you should do well - what league are your team in? 

Lmuh - hope report is sorted nowimage

What - 55 min easy / steady

Why - recovery and maintaining fitness

Lyrics - no

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    41, is that at Leamington? I'm doing the Midland Women's league there on Saturday! I run for Tipton, how about you?
  • Options

Madame O - yes our race is at Leamington also! image

It is a home race for me as I am a member of Leamington C&AC.

I will try to say hello at the start area if I can. I will tell Mrs Hound and the kids so they can cheer you when you pass them.  Look out for  a slightly bored woman with 2 little girls - one blonde & one dark!  

Have you run there before?

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Hehehe, small world! Yes, I'll look out for you and Mrs Hound - thanks, will be nice to have some support image 

Have never run there before as I've only raced XC twice, back in 06/07. One was at Droitwich and involved falling in a ditch three times, and I can't remember where the other was but don't think it was Leamington. What's the course like?

• Options

Its on a lovely common and each lap is aprox 2 miles. Some of course is on flat grass, some is through woods and will be muddy - this section includes a water filled ditch to wade through - make sure you have a look at it before the race. There is just 1 hill of note, its very steep but not that long. I think it will be 15mm spikes conditions image - I will do a reconasance run around there on Friday and let you know for sure.....  

here is a youtube film link of the ditch crossing a couple of years ago - check out the poor guy who loses his shoe - he is so cross!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYWogNXzuFE

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Chicka - I own rather a lot of clothes

So my mate Pete backed out of the session this evening so I didn't do it either. It is just a run for him so rather than mile chase I shall save it for tomorrow. I am however off to the gym shortly.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Paddy Ace report i just had a beaming smile on my face reading it so can imagine how much you are smiling. The marathon is a hard enough race but its just brill when it all goes right on the day doesn't always happen.

A Conservative start like Chickadee i'll have to remember that when VLM comes round but depending on where we are it might be forced upon us.

Madame O/41H good luck at the up coming XC

Why is it the runs you literally havve to drag/force your body out the door turn out to be the best

What: 6 miles
    Why: building work
    Last Hard: Getting out the door
    Lyrics No

Didn't want to go was out all day and it was nice and cosy indoors and it was raining just a bit, it was windy too not nice and it was getting dark what other excuses are they

So decided nice and easy does it still building but being careful strap on HRM if HR goes above 140 walk till it goes under 130 this happened a few times but gave up in the last mile and a half or so 134 avg HR nice and 10:42 avg pace As i suddenly am upping mileage decided to staart wearing HRM so that each run isn't too hard

• Options

Well done for getting out there Pammie.

Someone's stolen Gobi's log in image

Well, nearly three hours work on the report so far - that's enough for me - will probably be Thursday before I get a chance to sit down to it again.

• Options
    Paddy - congrats on the bronze medal and the winnings! Great report - well raced.

Madame O - I'm like you I find it hard to be conservative in the early stages. Good luck with the xc - looks like you might meet Mr & Mrs Hound and family.

Tipp Top - that is reassuring that you are another person who doesn't eat before marathons.

What: Was going to do a mile time trial, but decided to mow the lawns instead, then later on in the day decided maybe I'd still run O'Hagans just fast and relaxed.

Problem was just after half-way - guy I know went past and said "hang on". I told him to just go that I was used to running my own race. He said that he'd go with 1km to go. So I really pushed myself to hang on to him. I think it's usually the 4th k that I back off a bit and then try to come home strongly. It felt really hard, and my throat felt like I'd just done a track race - I was coughing quite a lot. My time - 21.13. He did take off in the last k - 20.59!!

It was really hot, a lot of people sunning themselves down by the waterfront, I was thinking that's what I should have been doing!!

But the last 4 weeks I've run 21.16, 21.09, 21.03 and 21.13 when I really didn't want to run hard.

Same guy said to me the most important thing was not to go off too fast on Sunday. Then I might be able to enjoy Paul's 3rd stage - to get the reward!!

Good running everyone.

I'm feeling pretty stuffed this morning so will have to tell the lady I usually run with on a Wednesday morning that I'm taking it easy today!
  • Options

You're running really well NZC - don't forget to taper!

Lyrics today - Rip It Up by Orange Juice.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Paddy - great report and again well done.

What - 3.5m easy
    Why - Recovery - mostly on grass
    Last hard - Forgot
    Last Rest - too many

Take care

• Options

Evening

Good running NZC go get that rewardimage

Went to the club today 5.5 miles.

Set off easy for first mile or so then when a group of faster runners came past joined onto them. Stayed with them until the last very steep hill then it was like I had a rucksack full of bricks on and they shot off. Picked the pace back up again after hill until last 400 metres or so when I slowed down for recovery. Worked out the pace for miles 1-4 would have given me a 5k time of approx 21 mins. Pleased with this because I have a 5k PB of19:55.

Legs feel OK after this and 4 and bit run this morning

Off to the peak district for a run tommorow afternoon

What 4 miles AM, 5.4 PM

Why club night

Last Hard today

Last rest Monday