Options

Plastic or metal spikes

Could someone please advise me if there is any advantage to wearing spikes over trail shoes for cross county, and if so does it matter whether they are plastic or metal?

Many thanks

Mike

Comments

• Options

I did xc for the first time the other week. If it's going to be muddy get spikes or fell shoes, I did it intrail shoes and slid all over the place.One particular hill I ran down three times ( multiple lap race) was so muddy I had to go at a jog to avoid going on my arse.

I'm normally a 46 min 10k guy which is not mega fast I know but I'd have expected to come a bit higher than 190 out of 222 if I'd have had decent footwear.

With regards to the spikes I'd say go for metal as they're less likely to snap on rocks.

• Options

Spikes offer more grip in mud, well depending on the length of the spikes, and are usually lighter than fell shoes.  

Fell shoes are more versatile, they can cope better with tarmac sections, rocky sections etc,  and more like running shoes so may be more comfortable for longer distances if you aren't used to spikes.