Options

My 6 year old

I am looking for some advice from people who run and train kids to enjoy running. I am a runner myself but don't know how to proceed with my daughter.

She is nearly 7 and has always been active but she blew me away on Saturday when she ran the whole of the Run for Life 5K with her Mum, had to stop a couple of times because Mum was too slow and finished in 32:30 with a huge smile on her face. She was so cool.  We said she could walk but she didn't want to.  She didn't complain once and said she wanted to do it again.

I would love her to keep running and find others to run with other than me. I also don't want to put her off with my over-enthusiasm.

My questions are

1: Does anyone know of a running club is south London who has juniors that include 7 year olds?

2: What should I do next?  How do I proceed to keep her interest so she can perhaps choose to run in a club when she is older?

Any help would be fantastic.

Simon
Balham

Comments

• Options
    RW had a special kids edition a few months back. If you search for Children in articles, you should be able to find them.
  • Options

TCP, I have a similar situation with my 8 year old neice, she is very tall and slender for her age and wins all the races at sports day, she keeps asking me to take her running but i dont want to as i am afraid i will push her too hard and put her off.  I have no idea what to do with her! 

I posted a similar post to yours on here a while back and all the advice was to leave her to run around with her friends, if she is still interested by about age 11 then we should look for a club and her secondary school will also nurture her interest.

Not sure it was the advice i wanted, i fear she could lose interest by the time she is 11 but i would hate to take her out and cause an injury!

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Thanks All new, I'll look.

Thanks last place.  I agree; I'm not sure I like that advice.  I have a 14 year old daughter as well and she is really good at swimming.  I wanted to get her involved and to enjoy her talent but everyone told me to back off so I did.  She now can't be bothered and hardly ever swims.  I know that all kids are different but I just want my youngest to enjoy running.  I really think entering a race or running with others at a club would keep her interested.

What are people afraid of?  What is going to happen if a 7 year old runs?

• Options

GLL run a network of courses called Track Stars (5 to 10 years).  Not sure where you are but I know they do one in the Greenwich area.  My daughter is just 6 and has been doing TS for the past year.  She loves it.  They do a full athletics programme including can you believe it shot putt and javelin.  The main focus is however on the running.  They tend to do relay sprints and 400-800m.  They do a yearly competition between a group of different leisure centres in London.  It's was great fun, they love it.  When they turn 11 they can obviously join a "proper" club.

I take my little girl out when I run short recovery runs she brings her scooter/bike. Hadn't thought of taking her to a Race for Life but will definately do it next year.

• Options

hi allinson,

Is this on the tracks at kidbrooke?   I used to do the circuit class there on tuesday morning and the running afterwards.  They've now  moved the class thoughimage

• Options
    compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    the younger they start the better even if it just 5 mins I know of one running club that have brough youngerstets on really well
  • Options

Are you a reader?

Then read this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-Myth-Talent-Power-Practice/dp/0007350546

10,000 hours and counting....

• Options
    Some of the 10k events I do have a kids 'race' beforehand - sometimes 1 mile, sometimes 1 km. My kids (aged 6, 7 and 8) really enjoy them especially as they get a little goody bag and a medal. I know they do it at the Marwell 10k and the Highclere 10k, so I assume there must be other events that include this feature. I really like it as it turns it into a family event - my husband goes around with the kids and I cheer them on and  then I do the 10k afterwards and they cheer me on.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    You could have a look at the Parkrun website, and see if there's one near you.  They are weekly 5k timed runs, are free, and from what I've heard (my local one is only starting next month) they are very friendly and inclusive.  Website says they are open to all ages, and you just run them as and when you want.  All off-road, so less impact injury risk. 
  • Options

the park runs are great for running................they are open to all but under a certain age...........I think 12 then an adult has to run with the children.............I would think this is for the children safety and to ensure they do not get in the way of the other runners............image

just make sure that whatever you do with them is fun and that most of iot is not done on roads and pavements