Options

Getting the Nutrition In

I have only competed in two Oly distance tris and both have offered a problem towards the tail end of the bike and during the run; that is my drink and gels are not being ingested and instead it feels like I'm carrying a belly full of nutrition that is not making its way to where it is needed.  The problem clears up shortly after finishing and fortunately I've not yet bonked.

Can anyone offer an insight as to where I might be going wrong / a suitable solution?

Thanks in advance.

Rw

Comments

• Options
    are you taking too much?? you don't need a huge amount of nutrition for an Oly if you have good nutrition beforehand - some fuel for the bike and maybe a caffeine gel for the run. that would be my plan

I think some do take way too much nutrition with them - I've seen bikes in an Oly with 2 x 750ml bottles, a full bento box and probably some extra stuff in T2 for the run. it's like a bloody rolling buffet!!
  • Options

lasting upto 3 hours? 750ml carb drink/elec drink and a gel or 2.

love the number belts stuffed with gels like bandolier full of gel like grenades

• Options

For Hyde Park this weekend I threw in a Go Gel before swim and two more on bike (one at mid point & another just before T2).  During bike I took  maybe 600ml of fluids (Lucozade lite with electrolyte tab).  Gut full on run and I was barely able to fit in half the bottle of LL which I ran with.  For a hot day this concerned me.  Finish time of 2:30:52 would hopefully have been reduced several minutes if run wasn't so uncomfortable.  More importantly, I can ill afford a repeat on Vit or IMFL which will be my longest races by some distance!

Electrolyte tabs (well dissolved) also cause notable burping (both Nuun and Zero tried).  Since I need the salt, are there any suitable alternatives?

Rw

• Options
    I'd ditch the gels on the bike and just stick with fuel - not sure that I'd get through 600ml though. I'd take a gel during the run and use whatever water was supplied en route

electrolyte tabs shouldn't cause belching - you had trapped wind perhaps from being down on the tribars and with a full gut it wasn't coming out leading to the full uncomfy feeling

imho
  • Options
    I stick to fluids for an oly.  A bottle of energy drink on the bike is enough to get me round, along with water on the run.  If it's hot I might take some water on the bike as well.
  • Options
    I think I have tended to over-fuel but I suspect that will be the case again in longer events, where I'm inclined to avoid bonking, at all costs.  Failing to get it into the gut is a problem though and I guess I need a lot more practice at getting in the grub and goo at the right times to avoid either problem.

Insofar as the electrolyte tabs - I have tried them in several different situations (have now worked my way through whole tube of Zero & another of Nuun) and the belching keeps recurring which, when swimming, is incredibly disruptive and in other disciplines is just annoying!

Rw
  • Options
    Taking on too much sugar "to avoid bonking" is just as bad as not taking on enough. If you've too high a concentration of sugars on your stomach you won't digest it, and you'll bonk just the same as not taking any in the first place. Just be aware of your concentrations, and maybe try a few things in race-pace efforts?
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    Your burping is probably because you swallow some air when drinking. I used to be a runner and get burps when drinking, now a tri person it still happens, plus I need to avoid going down onto aerobars for a couple of mins after a gel or drink, but still burp and don't care much, at least belching gets rid of the wind and makes me feel more comfortable.