Options

Gears

I dont have that much experience cycling, but what I always used to do on my mtb and now on my new hybrid, is to always cycle in top gear (21) unless im going up hill. I have never really used lower gears on the flat, as I was taught to go in the highest gear that you can manage, but should I use lower gears with a higher cadence?

Comments

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    As a gross generalisation you should be turning the pedals over at roughly 90 rpm. I.e the same as you should be roughly doing for running.
  • Options

Really there is no right and wrong - you should go in the gear that you find easiest to push for the speed you want to go at.    Normally though that's not the biggest gear there is - those are meant for flying downhills - so try and push smaller gears with a faster cadence and see how you get on.   

x - post with Ian but yeah people often recommend a cadence of around 90 - but as he implies don't worry if you aren't bang on.   

• Options

I think that my cadence is probabily well below 90 when running or cycling, but certainly less when cycling. I have feel like im putting in more work and going nowhere when in a lower gear, but is that good when training  as you work harder to get there?

• Options
    Well that's one way of looking at it - have you thought of tightening the brakes up so they rub on the rim too?
  • Options

imageimage

Louise, watch some pro-cycling on TV and see how quickly they pedal.  Then watch a little old lady ambling down your road and see how quickly she pedals.  You want to be more like the first and less like the second.

And no, grinding a big gear is not good when training any more than strapping weights to your ankles is a good idea when you're running.

• Options
    To echo the above, I was told that for a given amount of energy you be better off spining at a higher cadence in a smaller gear, over grinding a high gear slowly, as the latter knackers your key running muscles less, as much as anything.

I tend to keep in as small a gear as possible whilst maintaining a 80+rpm. I rarely use grinding these days.
  • Options

But to throw a spanner in the works....

I am a grinder (cadence between 60 and 70 rpm) as I find it keeps my heart rate down.  if I spin, my heart rate rises and I get too out of puff

• Options
    Probably because you've not learnt to spin yet Schmunkee. Try a gear lower than you'd normally ride and force yourself to ride that.

As Pops says - everyone is different - but check out the pro peloton and they're all spinning happily.

Grinding a big gear cant be good for your knees - I know pros have done it in the past as a training exercise - but not all the time.
  • Options
    I have tried, Cougs, but maybe I have gone to the other extreme because I end up feeling like a hamster in a wheel and then I coast to get my heart rate back down.  Grinding means I 'feel' consistent and can keep the cadence more or less the same.  Spinning has me at all sorts of cadences
  • Options
    Hey Cougie - I suffer a similar problem. What do you mean by learning to spin? Is that literally just going in a lower gear so that your system gets used to it and you adapt?

I am about to start my winter training in earnest and I need to sort the bike out so that I don't fall ton pieces on the run.
  • Options
    IP - basically spinning is as you say - ride a lower gear at a higher cadence which gives approx the same power output. it's not easy learning how to spin as many overspin in the early days so they knacker themselves aerobically. practice makes things better.

it can also be useful to have a fixie or singlespeed bike with just one gear so you have no option but to spin if you set the gearing up right. alternatively, practice on the turbo
  • Options
    It is literally getting used to pedalling faster. In the long run its less effort for you and your legs should be fresher off the bike.

You can get bike computers that give you cadence or you can just count how many revs per minute you do. Prob easiest on a turbo though.

Once you have that start point you should have an idea if its too low or not. If you do feel its too low - then just try and force yourself to ride on the next gear down - and you'll soon get used to it.

I ride a fixed wheel in winter - not just for this but also cos its less hassle to clean.

Spin classes will also help you spin faster. I can hold 120rpm for my 50 min turbo session no bother - but the older guys in the club are so much faster than me.
  • Options
    Doh - cross posted with FB again.
  • Options
    Cycling too much in too high a gear is also very effective if you want to trash your patellofemoral joints (wear out the cartilage behing your kneecaps).
  • Options
    FB and Cougs - am I right in thinking that if I am bouncing on the saddle then I am in too low a gear?
  • Options
    Gladys (all over!) M. wrote (see)
    To echo the above, I was told that for a given amount of energy you be better off spining at a higher cadence in a smaller gear, over grinding a high gear slowly, as the latter knackers your key running muscles less, as much as anything. I tend to keep in as small a gear as possible whilst maintaining a 80+rpm. I rarely use grinding these days.
    Gladys also still has stabilisers on his bike..............fact
  • Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    FB and Cougs - am I right in thinking that if I am bouncing on the saddle then I am in too low a gear?
    yes, or on square wheels  image
  • Options
    Maybe I do FF, even more embarrassing for you then that despite IMR having proper hills (and was raced in the pissing rain) I was still loads quicker than your bike effort round the 'flatter-than-Kiera-Knightly's-chest' Outlaw course!

I've taken them off now, I'll put them in the post to you, youngster! image

"As you were", to quote a crab!
  • Options
    Best settle this one on the Keira course next year then.......Challenge on!!!
  • Options

<ahem>

Caveat!

Some and i note SOME can get away with grinding. However you need to have a fecking spot on position and change the gear ratio. I "bimble" on a 75 cadance. however that is pushing a 55/11 ratio. Only due to his fancy bike fitting has a certain pebble come back and beat my time(show down next seaon folks!)

You will get some grinders list fairy, you get some spinners. get someone to look at your style.