Options

which marathon

do not know what marathon to do in 2012 will not go back to Edinburgh thinking of Chester or Lochness fancy Lochness but is the weather bad in October any one who has done for a few years i would be greatfull for your comment onthe weather and the race and whats Chester like to run i know what the weather is like for Chester many Thanks and if you in London good luck

John

Comments

• Options
    I dont blame you for not running at Edinburgh again after the utter chaos in May. I have opted to run The Lochaber Marathon in Fort William on 14th April next year. It sounds like a friendly,, local race, which has had great write ups on this forum in previous years. 
  • Options
    I've done Loch Ness 3 times and had perfect weather all times - its never too cold at the beginning of October.  Much better weather conditions than Ive encountered at Edinburgh where it can be unbearably hot and had that horrible head wind this year.  And I would agree with Paul about Lochaber its a great race much, much better than Edinburgh.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I ran the first 6 Loch Ness Marathons, and the from memory weather was lovely (sunny and cool) 4 times, light drizzle once and very wet the other.  The last 4 have been pretty good - dull, cool, but not wet.

It's a good time of year up here - not yet very cold, but not too hot either (I think this year was the warmest yet, at 16C).  And if it is windy, it tends to be the prevailing wind, which is behind you until the last mile and a half.

I've run Lochaber twice - once it was cold, the other time it was hot (22C), which was very unusual for Fort William in April.

Both are lovely races, although I found Loch Ness easier mentally, as it's point to point, whereas Lochaber is out and back.  Given how they are timed, you could always do both. image

Loch Ness is a bigger race, with approx 2500 runners, whereas Lochaber has an entry limit of 600, so that might sway you also.

• Options
    Why not try overseas one? Paris, Barcelona, Rome...? Combine it with a holiday afterwards, well earned recovery.
  • Options
    Of course the best marathon in the country is Moray Marathon   image  And we always seem to get a hot, if sometimes windy, day for it!
  • Options
    Hi

If you would like to see what the marathon is like in Chester, follow this link to the teaser video:

http://vimeo.com/30376479

If you like what you see, why not purchase the full DVD and see what the entire course is like
    Follow the link below

https://asplashoftechnicolour.wufoo.eu/forms/2011-mbna-chester-marathon-dvd/

Thanks

Max Friswell
    A Splash Of Technicolour Productions