Options

Hydration Pack for first Ultra

I am participating in my first Ultra Marathon this year (NDW50) and am looking at hydration packs and wondering if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts as to what is best suited for this event. I currently have an Inov8 12 (the old 2010 version) but I am looking for something maybe slightly smaller in capacity. A few things that I am feeling I need are·        

Waterbottle holder (ideally on the waist)·        

Hydration pack compatible (easy access for filling)

Pockets for gels and stuff on the front/waist·        

Comfortable

Budget wise I am looking for something fairly reasonably priced, however its more about meeting my criteria J

Comments

• Options
    hi gin3RNimage im doing NDW50 too this year and have bought a new slightly bigger backpack for this run. ive been using a small eurohike 3litre which is fine for upto 30miles id say. i got a Quechua backpack 10ltr. its quite small in length but has the pockets that come around the side tht you can stuff small bits innlike sunglasses and gels, snacks etc...there isnt a water bottle holder on front which is wht i want too but there is a holder by raidlight that fits on front strap which would be fine....mine was about £25 i think in sale
  • Options

Hi Loulabell,

I am thinking 10ltr is about the size i am after, so much choice its hard to know where to begin! I am looking forward to the NDW50, just got to start upping the mileage image

• Options

I've got a GoLite Rush, on the basis of loads of recommendations on the FRA Forums. It's bladder compatible (not that I use it), has two waist belt pockets, two side pockets for water bottles (which are quite happy with 650ml Camelback bottles), one main cavity, one front (open) pocket, bungee cord...oh and a whistle built into the chest strap. Total storage capacity is 10l

Fit is good as it comes in three different sizes (there's a guide on their website to help with choosing) and build quality is great. It definitely isn't waterproof but I just bought a small waterproof stuffsac to go inside for anything I want to keep dry. Have used it up in the Peak District and it's very stable when fitted properly.

Basically I can't fault it!

• Options
    The Go-lite looks like a good pack. I have the OMM 10L last drop, and its good with a bladder in - light, fits well etc, but the side pockets are just too far up my back to be accessible while moving. Does the Go0lite have clips on the shoulders? I have a front pouch which i'd like to keep
  • Options
    I agree the Golite does look good, how easy is it to get the bottles out when on the move, and do your arms knock the bottles at all or is there enough clearance?
  • Options

In answer to both...

No, there are no clips on the shoulder straps for mounting, but it wouldn't be too difficult to make something work.

I've never tried to get the bottles out while on the move, preferring to reduce to a walk and swing the bag off one shoulder. I've never caught my arms on them, but then everyone does move their arms differently LOL.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Have not tried the GoLite pack but looked at it recently when rocker666 mentioned it in another thread. It does look very good!

I have used OMM for my races and training. I have the OMM 15. I would like to use the 10 as I don't really need the full 15 litre capacity but I am nto willing to give up my waist pockets! I can get the bottles out of the side on the move (getting them back in is a little more tricky). Also looking to try the OMM 6l waist pack as it is on sale near where I work for £20 so probably worth a try.

• Options
    Wib, the waist pack is good, enormous in fact. But you need a 30" + waist for it to fit
  • Options
    And the bottle holder moves when the bottle is full.
  • Options
    OMM Ultra 15 for me. 15 maybe slightly too large, but it's worth it for the extra it provides. Two waist pockets that are easily accessible, one of which is zippable. Can 'add on' shoulder strap bottle holders and chest pouch. Side holders for extra bottles are just about accessible whilst running.

Will take a bladder, but personally, I don't get on with them. This pack allows me to have 4 500ml bottle accessible, and a further 2 in the pack itself. 3l should be enough to get me between most filling points.
  • Options
    I can second the OMM last drop 10. I am using for my first 50 mile ultra. A little on snug side to get everything in. 2 litre hydration bladder fits in nicely. I ran 30k fat ass in this and it held up great.

Lots of adjusters for getting it sits on shoulders nicely etc. One slight issue is that when doing long runs you can end up with warm water if you have a hot back!
  • Options

Thanks for the responses everyone, in the end i have gone with something smaller than planned but am going to see how it holds up. Ordered the Haglofs Staminia (was on sale at Cotswolds), waiting for it to arrive and take it out for a test run. Only 5 litres in size but looks like it has room for everything,

I will let you know my thoughts.

• Options
    For anyone who hates bladders and has trouble keeping up the hydration, then try the Raidlight olmo. They come with two bottles mounted on the front straps. Plenty of pockets up front as well. I use the olmo 20 (enough capacity for L100/UTMB gear). This pack is so light and stable that i use it on short fell races as well. Rather surprisingly I have found that it is possible to ram all the gear i need for Mountain Marathons into the olmo . (It did have the density of a black hole though!) I think the olmo comes in a much smaller version (5 or 10l)
  • Options
    I'm trying to find somewhere in the London area where I can try on a Raidlight 10L, because looking online it looks like it's what I want, I have a 5L Mizuno pack at the moment which is great, but I'm going to need something a bit bigger for self-supported 4-5 hr training runs along the NWD during the summer. I want the waistband pockets so I can reach my food, as well as the bladder/bottle options. And I'm female and on the petite side, which limits the options.