Options

numb left arm

Hello,

I'm currently training for my first ever marathon (London). All's going well but after any run over 30 minutes or so my left arm goes numb. I think it may be a circulation thing as my right hand is warm at the end of my run whereas my left arm is cold with white fingers and swollen! I thought it might be my garmin or wedding ring that's causing it but it's the same even if I don't wear them. 

Any advice to what it could be? I ran 14 miles this morning and my arm still feels like it's recovering from a dead arm now and it's half five!  image

Comments

• Options
    I had a similar thing with pins and needles in one arm.  Turned out to be a trapped nerve due to neck/shoulder injury.  Yours sounds a bit more serious though, could be vascular.  I would advise you get a docs opinion asap.  Hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    It could just be how you're holding yourself whilst you run. Are your shoulders raised without you realising? Are you clenching that hand at all?

I get a similar thing with my hand, but I find if I make a concious effort every so often to drop my shoulders and actually drop my arms to my sides and roll my shoulders whilst I'm running along to get the circulation going again it stops it from getting any worse...

...having said that, it seems like it's taking a long time to recover afterwards so it's probably worth mentioning to the doc.
  • Options

I wore a different bra on my long run today and it was much, much better. I think I may have found my problem! 

Thank you both for the advice. x

• Options
    Not to panic you, but the latest issue of RW has an article about a 31 yr old guy who was experiencing pain in his left arm while running and it turned out to be heart disease and a blocked artery that required emergency surgery. If it was your right arm, I'd agree totally with everyone else but as it's your left arm, I'd say get it checked out by a doctor asap. Probably it's something simple but best to be safe rather than sorry...
  • Options
    the good news is the guy ran a 1:17 half marathon yesterday......image

hope that its sorted for you
  • Options
    Oh, yes.... I forgot the happy ending! image