Options

NEW! Lakeland Trails Half Marathon

I know this is a new event but I wondered if anyone knows the route and what is to be expected with regards hills, terrain views etc?  It sounds as though it could be a belter.

Comments

• Options

Hi Oh-So, Last year it was 10 mile/16km (The Mini Marathon!) and this half marathon looks to be the same route but with an extra FULL loop round Tarn Hows.  Last year was the first time they did the marathon, and the mini-marathon only felt like a bit of a side show - there were only just over 100 entrants!  This years half marathon really seems to have caught peoples attention, and I notice on the website that they've re-opened the entry till the end of May.  The route is very picturesque with fantastic views, in particular round Tarn Hows.  From what I remember of the course last year, it's quite challenging, but the climbs weren't as high/steep as in most of the other Lakeland Trails runs, and nor is the terrain as technical as some of the others - it was all very runnable!  As you say, it will be a belter!!!

• Options

I'm in this. Two waves of starters, presume the good athletes off later. This will be my first official HM (covered the distance umpteen times in private). PBs apparently a no-go. Apart from this I've heard exactly what Fidds just said, looking forward to it massively!

• Options

I ran the full last year, so did most of the section being used for the half this year. Agree there are quite a few hills (it is the Lake District!). Some of it is on forest trails, some on road and some more off-road. I ran it in flats, which were ok most of the time, but a light trail shoe is a better choice. There were a few sections with rocks on the path as you would find on most county paths, so be prepared for that. Also, drinks stations were quite far apart (as access is not so easy for marshals as it would be on a road race) so consider taking a small water bottle - last year was particularly hot. It was a good race and you should enjoy this years half.

If you read the marathon thread you will get a good idea for some it, although ignore the river crossing, tree root and bog descriptions as these are not in the half.

• Options

Thx for the info, really appreciate it.  I'm normally a road runner but having just done Manchester marathon I fancied something differeent to keep the interest and fitness up over the summer.  I have to say the Lakeland Trails series looks to be just the job.  I'm looking at the autumn ones too, what are those like....Helvelyn in particular? 

• Options

Resurrecting this thread. Loved the course and in fairness the coolness and the drizzle (the rain slackened off after the horror of the start line) helped to keep the air fresh and very runnable. Marshalling was great, well signposted on the quieter parts, incredibly well-organised too. 

I ran in a shoe I've used on roads and lighter trails and apart from the deep puddles, they did the job perfectly well. If you're a heavy striker then maybe something heavier is for you.

The hills really took it out of me in a big way in the second half, as I ran 10k in 46min and finished with 1:46:49. That said I could have just gone off a bit naively...

• Options

I'd have said road shoes with a bit of grip would have been OK if it had been dry (I did Staveley in Green Silence and they were perfect), but really glad I had the Salomon Speedcross on yesterday, especially for the off road descents.

I think I could have picked an easier one for a first half marathon image, but even for an old, overweight, slow coach like me I have to say it was wonderful and will definately do it again next year, but with some more specific training behind me!

• Options

Great run, really enjoyed it. Rain inconsequential after first mile or so!

Did anyone download from their Garmin and know what the total climb was? It seemed a lot overall and would like to justify the hard slog!

• Options

1356ft according to the reply I got to the same question. I'd guessed at around 1400-1500' looking at the route beforehand so sounds fine.

• Options

Thanks Andrew - I thought roughly the same. There was a lot of undulation. Have just entered Sandstone Trail 17 miles, similar elevation I reckon.

• Options

17 miles would be too much for me at the mo, I only started running just over a year ago to get my weight down but the off road bug has bit big time and I'm entering the 15k LT Autumn series now - I think that's enough to be going on with whilst I'm still dragging over 15 stone around!

• Options

I dunno, with the extra climb there Andrew it's probably equivalent of doing 15 on the flat.

• Options

Hope you're right, I'm doing a flat, road half in just under two weeks (Windmill at Lytham, local to me) but I often find roads harder work than trails as the impact is more varied and less repetitive off road.

Just also entered the Lakeland Trails Spring Series for next year so that I'll have done the set (bar the marathon, dream on!) over a 12 month period.

the trail/mud bug has sunk it's teeth in image

• Options

Heh, I'm doing that half-mara as well, really looking forward to seeing what the time difference will be.

• Options

So jealous - really want to do both the series - wish we lived closer - might make the effort one year though! As for the full marathon: one day ...

Glad you guys enjoyed it - me too - I've still got my "I'm hardcore now" grin on! image

Any thoughts on how much that was worth compared to a road marathon?  I'd read somewhere that the full marathon runners should expect to take 40 - 60 minutes longer than usual.  I'd be over the moon (and get a big confidence boost and PB) with a 15-20 minute improvement but like you Andrew I think I just run better off road and maybe wouldn't actually run any faster anyway LOL

• Options

Sleepy Bear - I couldn't say for sure but considering there was only 1 finisher under 3hrs in the full mara in a very good-looking field, that says to me that 20-30 mins on your best for a starter.

• Options

I did a sedate 2hr 50 at Coniston, I'm an older, heavyweight novice!

SB, I do go quicker on road, usually by around 2 mins per mile, so I'd hope to knock around 20 minutes off that time at Lytham, but the conditions will play a big part for me (wind can be a problem, heat moreso).

For me though it's the taking part that counts, good times are a bonus but not the be all and end all.

18 months ago I couldn't jog to the end of our street I was that overweight, ill and out of shape.

I get a massive buzz every time I go out now, even moreso when finishing races of any type and distance. Crossing the finish line on Sunday was quite a feeling I can tell you image

This weekend it's the other end of the scale as my club is hosting a 5k at the Town Carnival. Anything above last and I'll be happy (I ain't built for speed!!)

• Options

sevendaughters - you have just made me a very happy lady! I ran 3 minutes slower than my PB in March and by rights I should be due a PB given the training I've been doing - might just be a "believe it and do it" scenario now.  Loving the "that was fantastic training" bonus of Sunday's little adventure.

Hope your shoes have dried out better than mine - think I might need to resort to stuffing them with newspaper soon!

Enjoy your next races - will plan to make it back sooner rather than later! image

• Options

Hi Andrew - totally with you - I'm just not one of those people who enjoys flogging myself too much and definitely not in the heat and wind!  I've been steadily (read comfortably) improving for the last 3 years and my PB (from 2005) is getting tantalisingly close after I took a 2 year hill-walking break from running!  Progress against myself is what's important to me versus how far up the field I am - there'll always be someone faster I reckon but I can challenge them in the smiliest-enjoying-my-race stakes!

If you can finish the beast that was Sunday on only 18 months training - you've obviously got a lot more to come! Good on you - am really happy for you on your achievement.  I will certainly be wearing my survivor's tshirt with pride at every opportunity! image

Good luck with your 5k - I really struggle with the quicker races too - bet it'll still feel like a walk in the park though now!

• Options

Thanks SB, I think we're of a very similar mindset! I too enjoy races far too much, often having a laugh and a natter on my way around, I'd have probably knocked 5-10 mins off on Sunday if I'd used my gob for breathing alone, but where's the fun in that? image

Just looked back at my training file and it was early April last year that I started walk/running off road after losing the first couple of stone by hill walking/diet/swimming, so it's more like 15 months. I did a lot of trails over the winter though in some pretty grim conditions around Darwen/Tockholes/Rivington so it's not like I went into to Sunday with nothing behind me.

Total weight loss now is around 77lb/35kg (started at 135kg/21st 3lb) and it's starting to drop off again since I joined our local Road Running Club (Lytham St Annes RRC) who have been brilliant in helping me improve and learn. I was dreading going thinking I'd be miles out of my depth but they couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. I did my first club handicap run last Thursday evening and really surprised myself by covering the course at sub 10 minute mile pace, which I've never been able to do before over any meaningful distance (the course is a pretty flat 7km) and so much of that is down to the help and encouragement they've given me.

As for the 5k I've only done a couple of Parkruns over that distance and both are on less than flat courses (Pennington Flash and Preston), so I'd expect to beat my PB (33.03 at Preston) with a bit to spare.

But if I don't I'll still be smiling image

• Options

Wow - that sounds like an amazing journey and you've only just begun!

Go get 'em tiger image

• Options

Ha ha, thanks SB, keep smiling image