Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

hopefully the run will shake the cold out as i rarely get them these days. Its amazing though how kids and schools are a breeding ground for lurgy! 

• Options

All brilliant advice guys, thanks.

I posted along these lines a couple of pages back, but it got lost, so I hope you don't mind me repeating myself:

Having had an extreme taper in order to protect my knee - ie. very little running whatsoever for 3 weeks prior to the marathon, just swimming/pool running sessions; to what extent would you advise I alter my target pace (3hr35ish), if at all?

Does such a premature end to training necessitate a real rethink of targets, or is it such that it is a better period to have a niggle, and that fitness levels will have largely remained intact?

• Options

tmb2000 - I've no real experience of this but have also altered my taper drastically due to injury. I hammered the GNR at the weekend and it really took it out of me but beat my target. I'm still however going to revise my marathon expectation to about 4hr15 from sub-4 (which may have been pipe dreaming anyway but my LSRs were increasingly comfortable and fast, until my injury). So, if I get to 30k and don;t bonk, like at every other marathon I've done, I'll push it. More likely, I'll just be struggling to finish!

Andy - children (mainly due to their contacts) seem to present a constant challenge to their parents' immune systems... I've already started avoiding people with colds/coughs etc. And I work in a hospital!

Iain

• Options
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

I'm still however going to revise my marathon expectation to about 4hr15 from sub-4 (which may have been pipe dreaming anyway but my LSRs were increasingly comfortable and fast, until my injury).

Iain

Lain, really sorry to hear that you are revising your sub 4 hour goal. I had sincere expectations that we would both be giving each other "high 5s" (do they do that in the UK?) at the Brauhaus for breaking sub 4 hours. Hopefully it still happens for each of us so even though you are resetting your expectations, I will be holding out hope for you and for me. Fortunately I have five $100 donations to my charity from friends if I break 4 hours so I do have some added motivation. 

BTW, speaking of my charity, once a year I designate one marathon as a fundraising marathon and I make a video for it which I then send to friends and family. I have actually been working on this one for 3 years and finally completed it today. Unfortunately, since most of you are not from the US, I doubt you will recognize any of the people in the video, but hopefully you will still appreciate my intention. Sincerely not looking for donations but just sharing an uplifting story. image

Just Say Julia (2012 Berlin Marathon Video) (Youtube)

• Options

TD - exactly the same for me.  My knee (and left calf) have felt very uncomfortable.  Couldn't work out whether it was actual pain or general discomfort.  I've not run for a week too.  Today is the first day I've woken up and my legs have felt ok so I'm going to do an easy run.  I'm treating it as an extreme taper also.

Target revised down from 3:25 to 3:35 and I'll see how it goes.  Main downside I can see is I've been drowning my sorrows by drinking huge quantities of beer so I've gained pounds of weight.  Quite possibly going to be made worse by a last minute change of work plans which involves a trip to Belgium.  Arendonk to be precise for those in the know!

Good luck to everybody!

• Options
    Just boinging the thread up above the spammers
  • Options

Well one week to go due to injury did not get up over 15 miles, but 5 weeks ago it even looked doubtful to attempt the run, Already done London this year and had a good season up to mid august, so not expecting much, thinking that as there is no pressure on myself now go and enjoy it get round and be happy with the whole weekend.

Had target sights on 3:20-3:25, be happy with a finishers medal.

These knee deep ice basins twice a day have been nasty but they have worked.

This is the first time in the carbo dumping I have put on 2kgs but have ate less. must be the extra press ups I had been doing every morning that has went from flab to close to flab.image

See you all in Berlin, looking forward to it.

• Options

14 miles done this morning, nearly there now

Don't do anything silly this week, trying to get that extra mile in etc because you are as fit as you are going to be.

Got all my racing stuff together already, sad b*stard,I know.

• Options

7 mile trail and beach run for me this morning. Tide was in and the beach was full of big stones. To say I was anxious was an understatement, headed off the beach back onto the trail to prevent any twisted ankles.

10 miles easy with Mrs KW tomorrow.

• Options
    Jonah - just started thinking about it myself! A trip to run elsewhere is properly exhilarating, but there's so many home comforts you miss!

RFME - thanks for your comments. Sounds like you have many reasons/Dollars for a sub-4! Here's hoping we are high-5ing at the brauhaus... We do it here too - I high-5'd Mo Farah last weekend...as did 20,000 others!
  • Options
    Bigchief - stay strong fella, I had a similar collapse with injury - incredible when you think about it - all it takes is a knock from the standard regime... You'll be great next weekend.

Re: Belgium - why not try some of their non-alcoholic beers while you're there?! ????
  • Options
    Omar Little wrote (see)
    Just boinging the thread up above the spammers

I'm not sure if this was in reference to my posting a link to my video I made for this marathon but that sincerely was not my intention at all. Most people on this forum don't know my story or why I run marthons so I can completely understand your response if it was directed at me. I apologize if it was interpreted as such and will edit my post. It's all good so no problems.

As far as training, I just got back from running 13.50 hilly miles in 1:49 which gives me confidence going into the final week. 

EDIT: Well I tried to edit my previous post but doesn't look like it allows me to do it now. Again, it was NOT my intention to seek donations from anyone on this forum. With everyone in their final week before the marathon I was just trying to contribute something uplifting to the forum. At least the video does have a shot of me running in the London Marathon last year.image

• Options

RFME I don't think it was aimed at you. If you look on the events page it has been spammed. Omar was just resurrecting the thread.

• Options

RFME - absolutely not directed at you!  Earlier the events page had been spammed and this thread had disappeared to page 2.  As KW says I was just bringing it back up.  Apologies for any confusion.

12 miles this morning at race pace in race kit.  Felt good. *touches wood* I can't remember going into a marathon feeling less beaten up.  Two possible explanations.  First is that following a different programme (Hal Higdon as opposed to RW) has paid dividends.  Second is that I've not worked hard enough.  Let's find out Sunday week.

Fell off the wagon a bit last nght and had 2 beers.  Erdinger doesn't count though because they sponsor the marathon right?

Hope everyone's fine tuning goes well this weekend, and if you're nursing injuries I hope they're improving.

• Options
    Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)

RFME I don't think it was aimed at you. If you look on the events page it has been spammed. Omar was just resurrecting the thread.

Thanks. Just my paranoia plus I guess it added a little drama to this thread! lol I just have this thread bookmarked so it takes me directly to it rather than the whole site. Interestingly this is the first wesbite that came up when I googled "Berlin Marathon Forum" and have been coming here ever since. Thanks for clarifying it. 

• Options
    Afternoon all. Reading back over last couple of pages is like reading an injury forum! Seems like quite a few have been hit. 7 days to go so to all those suffering, the target is toeing the line and getting there as fit as poss now - 7 days is too late to make any huge improvements in times. Good to see peeps being sensible though and adjusting their target times accordingly. Target if you're not 100% fit has to be to enjoy it and give it what you've got in the circumstances. Train smart this week and avoid junk miles which could impact on next Sunday.

RFME - good to see you back. Was only wondering the other day where you'd got to!

Surprised to see peeps still running some serious miles in one go too! Think my 7 miles tomorrow will be close to my longest run for the week. Brighton & Hove park run for me this morning as a bit of speed work instead - finished 2nd in 17.22, a 52 second PB! Seem to be peaking just in time so as much as I envy you doing long runs, going to follow my plan for 15 miles TOTAL next week before the big one. I can guarantee I'll be bouncing off the walls by Wednesday though
  • Options
    Great advice on the porrige pots for taking with us. Didn't know you could get these so I've got the wife to source some this afternoon during her Tesco shop.

Omar- I remember listening to a Brian Robson interview years ago where he said Sir Alex let them have 2 pints in the hotel 2 nights before an FA cup final, so I think your couple of beers last nights not going to harm you. Going to follow you by having 2 pints of Ice Cold Tennents tonight with the meal with the wife and daughter.

10 miles for me at marathon pace this morning, now tapper.

Hope everyone has a good last run this weekend
  • Options

BIG PB Johnas!  Congratulations

• Options

10 miles for me this morning at slow easy pace.  What fun in the beautiful weather!

RFME - due to your disappearance, I was hoping for a cool cloudy day for the marathon but now your back it seems were going to be in for a scorcher?  I'm sure it was you who said you always bring the hot weather?

Iain - I am hoping to up my time to 4:15 if the weather is cool so hopefully see you at the finish line for high fives.  Everyone else will be off their faces in the pub by then image

• Options
    Nice 8 miles for me today along the sunny coast, gorgeous day for it.

Johnas- Hove park run is my local one too though haven't been in a while, been a bit nervous about what this marathon training has done to my speed but will give it another go after Berlin. Doubt I'll be knocking anywhere near what you did off my PB though!

Just been to a bike shop and stocked up in carb bars for next week, think I might be sick if I manage to eat all of it!
  • Options
    Accuweather now have 13/3degrees Celsius. Rain!

Leisa - look forward to that high5, hopefully!
  • Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

I love the English............... You're all obsest with the weather! How about we say that because the run is in Germany.... no more mention of the weather till .......... um ....... Wednesday at least? image

• Options

I'm not English dude but last year was so hot - I am actually interested!

(Of course, there's very little we can do about it whatever happens!)

• Options

Where are you from Safer?

• Options

Hi all, sorry I have been sooooo rubbish at keeping up with the thread... I'm blaming it on being away in Australia for a couple of weeks and then work keeping me so blimmin busy I don't want to spend any time on my computer when home!

Tricky!!!! Nooooooo so sorry to hear that your knee is still a bit rubbish.... someone said that you have nothing to prove and they are so right, you have done amazing on previous marathons... amazing to have kept on training after surgery and even thinking about doing it, and generally just an amazing person.... SO please do not go and do it just because you think your "mind" is playing tricks on you.... listen to your body!

I would LOVE to meet up with people, I am going to be in Berlin on Friday morning and leaving first thing Monday morning..... sorry but don't know what the plans are could someone please fill me in?!?!?  Thanks all, and hope everyone is getting excited and not like me feeling I haven't done the right training (spending two weeks with travel to Oz and only 1 run!!!) and are ready to hit their target times! Unfortunately I don't think I'll hit mine, but that's my own fault and now I just want to go and enjoy it.

• Options
    Ok, just thinking about pre-marathon prep... On an entirely non-practical bent...

I have a couple of quirks that are becoming a part of my marathon weekend:

1. On the Friday before, I watch Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman. One of the greatest thrillers of the '70s. Directed by John Schlesinger. I love it! (TD - I think this movie is the reason I still want to do the NYC marathon!)

2. The day after, I take a cycle tour - usually with the Fat Tire Cycle company. Looking forward to another one Monday week - a good stretch of the post-marathon legs...

Anyone else with crazy superstitions or am I just pathetic?! (I suspect I am!)
  • Options
    IM2 - I may just watch Marathon Man tomorrow image

Great day out today spectating at London tri, pretty good expo and all sorted now for energy bars and new running socks!
  • Options

JJ - enjoy it, brilliant stuff. Glad I'm not the only one... If only I was built like Dustin in those days...

Also - socks. I need new ones too - thanks for reminder!

• Options

Leisa H wrote (see)

RFME - due to your disappearance, I was hoping for a cool cloudy day for the marathon but now your back it seems were going to be in for a scorcher?  I'm sure it was you who said you always bring the hot weather?

I've been seeing an exorcist on a weekly basis (reason for my disappearance) and he has assured me that he has removed the "human heat wave" curse/possession that has plagued me with every marathon. Obviously I will demand my money back if it's above normal temps on race day! 

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Anyone else with crazy superstitions or am I just pathetic?! (I suspect I am!)

Before leaving for the race, I will go to Youtube and watch the trailer for "The Spirit Of The Marathon" (actually better than the movie).

Also when standing in the corral, I make sure I am standing by a female and after some chit chat, tell them I always hug someone before the race. I have never failed to get a hug and a smile. image 

• Options
    What about watching Run Fat Boy Run in the build up to next Sunday?