Options

BERLIN Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    Am I the only one arriving on Thursday?
  • Options

Andy half 8 flight from Manchester for me, rest day today and went to the match.

5 easy tomorrow.

• Options

This week, I've got 3 more 7 mile runs home from work and then Saturday's Breakfast run.  Johnas and anyone else doing this, I'll see you by the lamp post.

Leisa - I'm heading out from Heathrow at Sparrow's on Thurday.  Arrive just before lunch.   A day and a half sight-seeing and then resting up.

Martin, I'll see you Saturday night with your race stuff.

Good luck to everyone heading out before then.  

Hopefully the weather will be favourable for us all.  I'll see whoever ends up with the pork and steins for lunch at the pilshaus...

• Options

andyc209

20 miles the week before! Hmmmmmm

• Options
    Kw with my misses working the Olympics I was down on 3hr plus LSRs ( I have to watch the kids) and she is also running and had not gone that far yet so said she needs to get a good LSRs in her legs (she only wants to get round). Took it really easy so felt fine, no niggles etc. Have run a few marathons on consecutive weekends and never had a problem so though if I take it easy I will be ok.
  • Options
    Andy I do wonder myself whether tapering really only works for the Elites doing 100+ miles. I've got some of my best times after really hard weeks.
  • Options
    Agree, every time I have doubled up on the marathons I have done better on the second one, as long as I rest in between (only 1 or 2 gentle 3-5 milers) to get the legs moving again. On my PB marathon I did a PB half marathon the week before. beside I think doing a good long one has been a confidence builder for both of us, particularly the misses as she was really worried she was not going to get around.
  • Options

jonah8

Looks like we are on the same flight,

• Options
    Anyone else flying 8:35 on Saturday from

Manchester ?? Think I've left it a bit late... Straight to the expo for me !!
  • Options

0910 from Newcastle on the Saturday, although I do wish I was heading out early too Leisa. Maybe next year!

I'm feeling really run down - as my mother would say - hoping all settles in time for Sunday.

Have a good week everyone.

• Options

0815 from Liverpool for me on the Saturday too.  Straight to the expo, do the bare minimum there then hotel and rest.

SweatySock, looks like we might be on the same flight.

Back from Berlin on the Tuesday.  Can't leave a major city without spending some time enjoying myself after the race!

• Options
    Sazzle85 wrote (see)
    Anyone else flying 8:35 on Saturday from
    Manchester ?? Think I've left it a bit late... Straight to the expo for me !!

i don't think i fly out until 1040 from BXL so you certainly won't be the last to the expo Sazzle. Good recovery week Iain.

• Options

I'm flying Saturday morning - Bham-Brussels-Berlin.  6.30 from Bham, 9.45 from Brussels so maybe a slightly earlier flight than TD.  Get in just after 11 am so straight to expo and then supermarket-hotel-restaurant.

8 miles saturday, 8 miles sunday and 6 miles this morning in the horrible rain.  Sore throat and a cold and sore left hammies (due to plyometric session last Thursday) but fingers crossed will be mended by Sunday. 

• Options

think the weather is taking its toll on a lot of poeple, think my stinking cold is from the GNR last weekend, think its starting to go now. Sitting at work now counting the days down till Friday image

• Options

Morning!  Guess what?  We are going to run a MARATHON this week!!!!  Sooo excited! Can't think about anything else!  Keep checking the weather report every few hours. image

• Options

Baljc - just checked my flights again. Seems I am flying out at 09:15 and landing at 10:40. So, no need to panic about expo timings. Plus my running partner is demi-German, so no troubles navigating around. I've even delegated the finding of an appropriate Italian restaurant that will cook my gluten free pasta for saturday evening image

I always take with me to maras a big tub of my own munchies for carbo-loading on the saturday. Sports drinks to take around the expo and usually some kind of meal based around Quinoa while in the car/ airports/ getting to hotel, so I can quietly stuff myself all day. Helps to avoid less than wholesome food you buy on the way. Sushi is also pretty good for carbs/ protein balance and easy to eat on the move.

• Options

wow lots of action on here, it's really all part of mara prep being on a forum and talking to fellow runners...because every time i start talking to my wife or kids or mates...they tell me to stop going on about bloody running!!!

Looking forward to a beer or two after the race wish I had not booked a flight out on Sunday but too late to change it.

Looked at my training log and i have done 16 weeks training and averaged 41 miles (with 2-3 weeks wher i had to cut my long runs down) so thats the most I've done for a mara, that is a conficence boost. Anyone else feeling doubtful then look at your training and see what you've achieved in training.

• Options
    I'm flying Wednesday and getting my sight seeing in before hand. Unfortunately I fly back at 17.30 on the Sunday - Ouch!
  • Options

Excited about it now! Done my last long one yesterday, looks like showers on the forecast but may be a bit early to guess yet, staying until Tuesday as girlfriend wants to go to Berlin Zoo seems like a fair deal!

• Options

Are those in Berlin on Sat morning planning on doing the breakfast run? Am there with partner and son and planning to get along to it. Need to get a flag sorted out to run with I reckon

• Options
    Too excited to be of any use at work today. Flying out Friday lunchtime and then heading to the expo via the hotel. Does anyone know how easy the underground in Berlin is to navigate for someone with limited German?! Not sure whether to play it safe and take a taxi.

Weather's looking good for Sunday!
  • Options

yeh thinking about it with the kids - they have their Team GB Games Helper kit which they will be wearing plus their Union Jacks from the games. Do you have to register? 

We get there around midday Friday so Expo and a little sight seeing Friday. Maybe Zoo on the Saturday as the hotel is pretty much opposite the entrance.

• Options

cookie - missus was there all last week and metro is as easy as the tube to get around and cheap - she even says the taxis are cheap but they may put their prices up as its marathon weekend image

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Well done to all that ventured out in this weather. No run for me this weekend. Have felt like I'm getting a cold all weekend so decided not to venture out in the rain. Thought it would do me more harm than good. Oh well its not going to do much now anyway..... rest and eat that's the plan for the rest of this week.

Oh and its my birthday on Wednesday so going to have to celebrate with a glass of two of red, then no more till Sunday post run!

Cookie 123, metro dead easy. Last time I found the expo with minimal fuss. Pretty much like the London underground, or any other metro system around the world. As long as you get off at the right stop, then you just follow the crowd to the Expo hall.

Blockbuster: I agree when I start to question the training I go back and check the log book. Always seems to perk up the spirits.

• Options
    busy,busy,today..Flying out thursday evening back Monday night so looking forward to a few beers and chat with all you guys and gals on Sunday.Better bring my Welsh flag,am I the only Taffy on here,,,, no running over weekend,work gets in the way,ten in wind and rain later me thinks..excited now!!!!
  • Options

so what is everyones eating plans this week, is it just total carbs all week or are some  going for the carb depletion first then load up in the three days before? Not sure what way to go - he says looking at my pathetic sandwich of brown bread and chicken. 

• Options
    Berlin S-bahn, U-bahn system is the best I've ever seen. Easy to negotiate despite being a non-German speaker.

I love Berlin.
  • Options

andyc209 i just finished my own pathetic brown bread and chicken salad sandwich! personally i have been cutting down on general intake as mileage has decreased in taper. Every bit of weight saved/lost will help before going for the carbs especially carb loading Saturday. Although on Friday it will be a lot of carbs I wont eat loads as i dont think you need to. And a bit of protein always helps with the carb loading. Also there are mixed reviews on the whole carb depletion then carb load plan. No proof behind your little cells being starved of carb means they will greedily suck it up when you start loading.

• Options
    Great thanks everyone. Can imagine it runs like clockwork out there!
  • Options

I leave Birmingahm at 13.05 dont land till 15.55hrs on the 29th... going to be close but will have to dash straight to the expo... put myself under a bit of pressure there !! Anybody else landing at Tegel airport at that time up for sharing a cab to the expo or is it just me thats messed up ?