Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    Emmy H wrote (see)

TD - are you still running tonorrow? Fancy a beer afterwards?

Hey Emmy - one of our team pulled out from EcoTrail about 5 weeks ago with an injury, so we decided to cancel our participation. 83Kms fast is a bit much to invite someone to join in with, if they haven't prepared well. So I won't join you for a (gluten free) beer tmrw sadly.

But on the bright side, I do get to meet Mausey's parents and they get to meet my parents in a tipping-down-with-rain here in olde Englande. Time for me to start behaving.

Happy sunny running TrevO and well done Classicdiva on getting out there and doing your thing.

• Options

Right, the jelly babies are packed, the waterproofs are looked out, I'm ready to go. I think I'm actually more worried about helping at this race tomorrow than I am about running the race next week. It's a UTMB qualifier, so if we mess up the organisation there are consequences. Still, I'm at mile 33 of a 63 mile route, so hopefully the runners should still be in reasonable shape when they get to me.

And Emmy - if you see Supercaz tell her I've learned from the expert - I've had all the checkpoint information laminated image.

• Options

I know what you mean RR. I was on the organising committee for our local Tri and I couldn't sleep the night before. And I didn't laminate my checklists. Big mistake.

• Options

Not long now until Monday. As a marathon virgin, I feel like a child waiting for Christmas.  Going to try 16 miles tomorrow, a mile longer than my longest run yet, but depends if I have time as OH plays cricket and I have to get the kids to swim lessons.  Damn cricket season ends tomorrow, thankfully. Need to get to bed so I can get an early start, being at the slower end of this running group!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Options

Kirsten - hope you fit it in.

That's a good point PC. Would it be better if I posted on a Friday? What's everyone reckon?

Good luck Emmy and CLR. And RR for running the station. Hope the weather holds out for you all.

• Options

Good Luck to everyone this Weekend - Running, racing, supporting and Volunteering! 

We have awful forecast here, so my 15 tomorrow may be cancelled. But as Alannah very wisely pointed out last night that I would probably benefit from rest more than running 15 miles! image

Weedy - Got your mail! Thanx I will reply once I can remember my login again! Hope its just a moment in my senior mind! image

• Options

Good luck folks, whatever your endeavours this weekend.

My endeavours include wishing I had had many things laminated before Himself came home....

• Options

No race for me this weekend - the Tri was cancelled. Happy with that as tomorrow's weather forecast is wild, wet and windy.

Kirsten - good luck with your run. It's always satisfying to run further than you have ever run before. It doesn't happen that often, so try to enjoy it...

I am going for 12 miles today. My longest since Paris!

Good luck to all those racing. I'll be in front of the TV tomorrow watching the GNR and the London triathlon.

• Options

Good luck to everyone racing, supporting and long running.  I got to stay in bed this morning, felt very strange.  It's Open Doors Day today and I'm volunteering at that instead of running.  

I've a friend doing the Coast to Coast in Scotland today/tomorrow.  Hope the weather will be kind, rather worried after reading the Northern weather reports higher up ... looked nice and sunny on the start line earlier but sounds like it could change drastically  image

• Options

I'll be watching GNR on the tele too so, all of those running, don't forget to wave. Oh, and good luck

• Options

Good luck to all those out there this weekend..  no running for me though, I've got too much work to get finished before it all starts again on Monday.   I am taking my little boy to a gig tonight though...  some live music is always good fun.  

• Options

Stretched the 12 miles to 13.1, much to the disgust of my aching old body. Mental boost though, with the 3 weeks unti the Great Scottish Run.

• Options

Did just over 16 and felt good, beautiful morning, especially running along the beach, when you can't be anything other than grateful to be alive.  Chatting to a swimming dad this morning who's doing his 10th GNR tomorrow.  Might consider that for next year and finally banish my fear of hills.  Is it easy to get a place?

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

• Options

Well done Kirsten. Sounds like a great run.

I have been rewarded for my efforts with a massive blister.

• Options

Park run this morning and was planning on doing the kilmacolm half marathon on Sunday , I only signed up for it on Wednesday thougth so it's not on weedys list 

weather permitting , ach who am I kidding , I'll be out no matter the weather

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Well done, Kirsten. 'Sounds like you are in top condition to start 'thinking Paris' , on Monday. Scott, after the Half, you're only 10-15 mins from the open air , salt-water,pool at Gourock. It's fantastic...What a view! ( And they have a Tri. Time to check it out? )

Lovely, hilly, parkrun with Scott and helterskelter followed by coffee 'n' scone 'n' ( oldies only) swim in the Commonwealth Games' pool...It's a lovely venue. Next parkrun, I vote for run+ swim+ scone, for all? All in favour say ' Aye'? Right...that's settled.

Good luck to everyone in the GNR..We'll be trying to spot you.

• Options

ATM - aye  

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

It s never too early to start training for Team MacPerky...Let s watch the Tri World Championships, tomorrow. How hard can it be? image

• Options

Well done Kirsten, McPorkpie and the Caledonian Massive (Pollok branch). Good efforts all round.

Jelly babies dispensed, runners logged, we didn't lose anyone and we kept the wasps out of the Coke (just. OK, we fished a few out with a spoon when the runners weren't looking).

Very interesting afternoon watching the runners. At mile 33 out of 63 there was quite a difference between them. The first lady looked like she'd just done a parkrun and hadn't even chipped her nail varnish. There were people two hours behind who looked  like they'd been dragged through a hedge backwards. They all looked as though they'd just run miles across ploughed fields - which, it turns out, they had image. Lots of meaty looking Forces types with very short haircuts who were just happy to be running without a pack for a change.

But now I have a dilemma. They gave the checkpoint people a t-shirt - but am I allowed to wear it if I didn't actually run the race? It's a really good one too - technical, with a big slavering dog on the front.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I think it's more of a fashion crisis than a moral dilema... Big slavering dog? We need a photo..

• Options

RR - I think it depends on how nice the top is ,but  you earned it though , you stood in the cold ,you cheered , you helped out , you killed some wasps , you gave a smile when it was probably needed ,,

so I wouldn't be bothered about wearing it and not thinking you've earned it !

• Options

RR - sounds like a good t-shirt. I'd wear it. 

Team MacPerky Loch Lomond 2014 requests that you do as ATM says (always a good idea) and watch the London Tri tomorrow. TJB will have already won the GNR by then. 

Non Stanford put in a great performance today to win the women's race and take the world champion title. Brownlee brothers tomorrow.

• Options

Ooh, getting nervous about my relay leg now - wish me luck for the 2:45am wake up call! I am feeling excited as well though, I'm so looking forward to running as the sun comes up. It's going to be a bit frantic, a bit odd but brilliant. And all with a baton!

Good luck to all of you lovely lot doing the GNR tomorrow - looking forward to the pics of TJB v Mo (and lots of Orbutts over the line as well, of course)

• Options

Good luck KS - 2:45am? That's not even KOC - that's the night before image. And good luck to the GNR crew - make it at least look like a race when you beat Mo to the line please. 

OK, here's the t-shirt (and it's the only pic of my frontage that I intend to post on the internet). The logo is apparently Black Shuck who shows up to help lost walkers on the Stour Valley Path. He didn't appear at checkpoint 3 though. 

/members/images/13234/Gallery/svp.JPG

• Options

KS- good luck with the relay run , I'll be thinking of you ,,,, that's a lie ,,, I'll be sound asleep 

RR - nice frontage ,,, and nice t shirt as well 

• Options

You'll have to get up before you go to bed KS! Good luck.

RR - I hope you have yellow shoes.

• Options

Good luck to all this weekend

Nice top RR.  You earned it.

• Options

Looks a good t-shirt. Wear it.

• Options

Some musings in yesterday's race while I'm putting off the evil moment before I have to go out the door.

The race was a new one, run over 100k, mostly off road. I volunteered to help because I wanted to see how 'real' ultra runners deal with a race, what kit they use, fuelling etc. And there were some very serious people there. They had to give a short description of their experience when they applied, and there were several multiple Comrades runners (one 15 times), MdS, people hoping to qualify for UTMB and Spartathlon, someone who ran Piece of String this year.

So what did I learn?

- Kit. Most people were using rucksacks with a combination of bladders for water and bottles for sports drinks. We gave out sports drinks too, but a lot were using their own powders, so they just topped up with water. One guy had what looked like frogspawn in his bottle - no idea what that was (possibly chia seeds?). There were a lot of calf guards, and a lot of gaiters, which were really needed because of the mud.

- Food. We had various sweet and savoury options - Mars Bars, bananas, watermelon, crisps, sausage rolls. But the most popular was home made fruit cake. A common comment was 'I know I need to eat but I can't keep anything down'. The fruit cake seemed to be good for stomach settling. And the flat Coke, as we expected, was very popular.

- Drugs. Iain - you would have been horrified at the amount of ibuprofen that was being used. I did my best with the 'you really need to make sure you're properly hydrated if you're taking that' advice, but they all knew that anyway.

- Motivation. We were 33 miles in, so just over halfway, and just after a tough section involving newly ploughed fields. There were a few who were looking relatively fresh, if muddy. Interestingly, the freshest ones tended to be at the front. There was a real mixture - the fastest people weren't necessarily the youngest, or the thinnest, and vice versa. There were a few who were really struggling (about a fifth of the field never reached us at all), and some who were very pleased to be told they'd missed the cutoff so we had to stop them. It's difficult to know how to encourage people who still have 30 miles to go, so we focused on 'what do you need from us?' and 'good luck'.

- No. I'm not running it next year. I can guarantee I would get lost.

• Options

Well done on some expert support RR. watching the ultrastars would be fascinating. I can't imagine having run 30 miles and having 30 more still to go.

So....I'm hiding from my long run. It's wild out there and I'd rather stay home and watch GNR in my pjs. Sloth that I am.