Options

Calf guards

Thinking for endurance events, but not sure how they are meant to help?

Comments

• Options

They can keep your calves warm and therefore help prevent cramp. Good for cold and wet conditions, when you might not want to use full leggings. 

• Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

compression supposedly helps bloodflow to the muscles which helps them work

there are some that say it helps performance, and some say it helps recovery

I am a big believer that it helps recoevery (e.g. that my muscles are not as sore afetr running with compression) but it is just anecodtal

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    good on Trail runs if the nettles are high, other than that, think any evidence as to benefits may be more anecdotal, but if you like them, they won't do any harm.
  • Options

Never worn them myself, so just curious if they will help with muscle fatigure/recovery for Iron distance tri.

• Options
    David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭

Also been curious and was tempted in run up to Ultra. Read up and agree there's no conclusion and nothing more than anecdotal evidence. Some theories re limiting muscle vibration and reducing fatigue but again no evidence. My own pet theory (absolutely no evidence) is that whatever you gain will be just about negated by additional effort to "fight" against the elasticity as the muscles expand. Have decided to stay naked image

• Options

used then for every run and bike ride for the last few years........probably all placebo affect but i feel I recovered quicker from a session and had less injuries......I dont believe there is any scientific proof 

• Options
    They do make you look like a proper triathlete.

Never bothered myself though. Extra money innit and I've not seen any proof they work.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i use them for recovery. 

i think they work

• Options

Like expensive long socks with no feet.  Actually that's exactly what they are.

• Options

I found calf guards and compression socks made my legs heavy on long runs and long cycles. They are best for recovery from long runs or long cycles. The calf guards and compression socks do come at a very high price tag around the cost of cheap running shoes.

• Options

There was one scientific study which said they're a little useful for recovery if they're correctly fitted and have the correct compression gradient.  

I've worn them in the past to prevent cramp (broadly speaking works OK) but I've not systematically done a with/without study.

They are, however, very good at preventing elephant attacks. 

• Options

I don't cycle in them, but I've run the marathon part of an Ironman a couple of times, don't know if they really did any good, but if it makes me feel good I say they work 

• Options

Like others, not sure if the benefits are anything other than mental, but when I had a bad calf recently, I used one on it and it seemed to help - might just be in my head.

• Options
    AlGiffAlGiff ✭✭✭

I suffered with painful shin splints for a while and my works physio suggest trying them.  I think they worked as the splints went away but I could have recovered without them, who knows.

I wear them now and again now when my shins start to feel sore.  This is mainly when I've run hills one day and then want to run again (when I wear the guards) the next after.

• Options
    My calves tend to be my weak point, and I wear them for very long runs. As others have said, it may only be psychological, but if they prevent you from altering your gait because you're trying to avoid putting stress on an actual or potential injury, then that works for me.

Agree totally with FF though, I've never been attacked by an elephant whilst wearing them, 100% success rate.
  • Options
    eltonionieltonioni ✭✭✭

I agree with their success at deterring elephants but grouse seem to have a thing for them. Good for nettles but bad for feeling a little bit of a berk, so only wear in the house.

• Options

the worse thing about wearing them is that they give the most stupid tan lines in teh world.I now have brown knees and legs that are brown for an inch below the knee and brown for 4 inches above the kneeimageimage