Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:16 @ newcastle, pretty even pace with 3 times 5:50 miles. Not good enough to beat the first lady though who looked like a student from the uni. Flew past me at about 1mile. 

Yes thats a great cause MSE.

• Options

MsE - Thanks, he was very poorly this morning with a fever and all bunged up. Hopefully some rest will do him a world of good. I had no idea you were doing Manchester. It's a fast course and nice support too, so you should have a good run there I reckon. 

OO - Great parkrun. That week of training got you running very fast again. Nice!

8 miles just done in very mild conditions. 1st 4 were easy about 7:30 pace and then got things moving a bit quicker but still very comfortable for just over 58 mins and 7:14 average. Have a 15 easy lined up tomorrow and just found out there is a local road 5k on Tuesday night. Had a poor run last time I did it and only managed 19:43 so hoping for quicker than that all being well. 

• Options

Super fast parkrun from OO this morning - I haven't done one for a while but am hoping to do the one on York Racecourse on Xmas Eve as I'll be up in that neck of the woods. Talking of Xmas, are there no Christmas names this year? I'm going to have to get my thinking cap on.

Speedy stuff from you there as well G-Dawg - what's your next event. Fancy the Brutal?

Hope work isn't too manic Gul - I was a bit worried that there hadn't been many 6am posts after a 2 hour run this week!!

Good sneaky entering of a marathon there Poacher - is that the one that finishes running along the beach?

As MsE suggests I may have also sneakily entered another event!!! Hope your ankle recovers soon.

On the subject of recovery, hope that GM Jnr feels better soon.

Just back from a rather rainy Oxford where younger Lorenzito was competing for Surrey in the South East XC Intercounties - there were some seriously fast lads and lasses out there!

15 miles for me this morning to take me to my highest mileage in a calendar year (my previous highest was the 2,179 last year) - I suspect I may have broken through it just as I passed the cafe on the top of Box Hill but forgot to stop and celebrate with a slice of chocolate cake. image

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the record Lorrnzo & the name. Fab total

• Options

OO - I think I might have plagiarised a name you used a few years ago!!!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thats the great thing about getting old, you forgot then think you've brilliant 

• Options

MsE all the best with the ultra once you get a good base everything will fall into place ,bit of mileage never killed anyone image 

sn00w53 nice parkrun time.

Gerard hope the nipper is back on form soon,my daughter has been on and off school the last 3 weeks with various ailments ! 

Lorenz ho did you know you are doing the ultra yet ? image    great year total but shame about the cake  

Poacher we take it for granted all your mara's are ugly pain fests on no training but a man like you can take it image

Work do on fri night ,surprisingly ok on saturday for a change ,last time spent the whole day in bed image but was due a rest day anyway.

20 mile today 11 easy with the last 5 very tough hills to start with (262m elevation) , then 4 hard around 7:05,  then 3 very hard  6:37, 6:43, 6:33 and 2 steady to finish.

20 at 7:37 average and 69 miles for the week.

• Options

"ugly pain fest" SOOOO sums it up! 

• Options

That's embarrassing - the name change function on this site doesn't allow apostrophes, leading to a humiliating punctuation fail image

BTW that's great mileage Leslie

• Options

Odd running week for me. Flew out to Germany on Monday and started with 14 miles out the back end of nowhere in a massive German forest. Bit like Narnia, it was -2 or -3 and the trees were all covered with white frost and it snowed a little to make me feel special. 

Next 3 days were just grunts, up at 5 to run at 6 to be showered and in meetings by 7 so short runs in the dark and cold, quite unpleasant, then two days going up to Blackpool and back to see elderly relatives before they do what elderly relatives do best.

Today 15 out on the Thames, clear skies, warm winter sunshine, so nice bookends to a bit of a stinker mid-week.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Lapsed this week - just 20 bagged - 9 easy 5 (inc 3x 1 mile effs) , 6 easy

spectating at XC league this morn - my son running - scarpered before the women's race - hope junior went well, OO 

• Options

Great mixture on your long run Leslie - impressively fast few miles after what sounds like a tough hilly section.

Sounds a very pleasant run in Germany PMJ.

I had similar conditions to you on my run this morning - a gentle 7 miles through the woods with some nice muddy bits thrown in for good measure to take me up to 50 miles for the week.

• Options

Lorenzo you have had a very good year - is this the prelude to a full on sub3 campaign at VLM?

45m this week, despite spending 3 consecutive nights in different continents.  image Can't begin to understand how PMJ runs so well with big travel commitments. Chapeau.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

She did well at XC Birch thanks for asking-she finished South Yorks U20 Champ. Which is funny as I hate XC.

I did 16 @ 8:24 pace and rounded off the week to reach 40.

Hope that 45 miles  means you are feeling better Poacher. .  

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Hope your son ran well Birch, I know the mens races are very competitive, makes me gulp when she tells me the times they run.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Hope the ankle is recovering MsE and well done on entering the ultra

Good speed at the Parkrun OO53 - I'm putting off park runs until I feel confident of breaking 20 minutes (all my park runs have been under 20 minutes!)

Impressive 20 miler and weekly mileage Leslie - which marathon are you doing and what time are you targetting?

Impressive business travel time management skills PMJ - where were you running today (I row down at Marlow!)?

Birch - hope your son had a good race

Solid mileage Lorenzo

Hope the last-minute marathon preparations are going well Poacher - I assume there is no time for a taperimage

15 miles for me today in 1:55 - longest since February and brings me to 59 miles for the week (I'm tempted by the 1 mile jog around the block option ...).  Week 1 of the Brighton campaign under the belt and only another 17 weeks to goimage

• Options

Poacher - in a nutshell, yes. I'll need to focus on a combo of decent length tempo runs and plenty of interval work in the Hew Year but if I can't hit sub-3 with the base training and the level of mileage I've done this year, I'm not sure how I'm going to get there.

Just entered the Brutal 10 mile run on New Year's Eve. image

• Options

OO - Congrats to junior, that's a very impressive result. I am not a fan either but love watching it. Nice 16 for a decent weekly total.

Leslie - That's a corker of a run and I'm impressed you were knocking out those fast miles too. What is your marathon best? i can't quite remember. You are going so well at the moment and seem totally revitalised after your time on the bench.

Lorenzo - What is that 10 miler you entered? Sounds gnarly! 

PMJ - A very interesting mix of running and as Poacher said, well played chapeau! 

Poacher - Good weekly total there! Good to get some mileage in before your marathon.

Birch - Must be nice to watch your son do battle in the XC, I take my hat off to anyone who does it. It's mighty tough.

SBD - Nice pace for your 15 and a very good weekly total too. 

I did my planned 15 miler this morning with a pal who is in training for Rotterdam and he's aiming for a sub 3. We have similar short distance times but he's been knocking out some big mile over the past 6 months whereas I have been doing quite the opposite. Set off and it felt chilly to begin with but it was a clear crisp winter's day and we enjoyed a beautiful sunrise as we ran along the promenade. That's where it was good and I ended up having a terrible run. Got to 9 miles and my legs weren't happy and had to just continue for the last 6 miles. It reminded me of the last 6 miles of a bad marathon and I didn't enjoy it at all. All was well soon afterwards though as we went for a big brekkie and i had a nap afterwards. Not a run to remember and I'll have to have a rethink with regard to my Sunday running as I'm not in training for a marathon and may stick to shorter stuff and max at 12 or 13 for the foreseeable future. 

• Options

GCE - sounds strange. Might just be a one-off and down to nutrition/hydration/feeling tired.

Here's the link to the Brutal: http://brutalrun.co.uk/race/longmoor/ - I've done a couple before and they're great fun!!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

MsE - Great tip on the downhill specific training. I had thought a little about it but looking at the Boston profile, you're spot on. I'll be factoring that into my training. I've not followed a training plan for years, I just make one up myself that I tweak after every marathon with lessons learned each time.
    The Boston plan will be 5 runs per week with LSR, Hill, Track, Tempo and General/Recovery runs. Has worked for the past 5 maras, all PBs.

Just looked at the Brutal, Lorenzo. Looks fun but I did the Grim earlier this year and whilst I enjoyed it, I don't think I'll do another for a while.

Cracking PR by OO. Nice!

Went for a 10 miler on Saturday. Was just going to keep it steady but after 5 miles a guy from the Athletic Club was running in the towards me. We were both halfway through 10 milers and he asked to join me. He's a quick lad and before I knew it we were chugging along quite nicely. We parted with 2 miles to go, I checked my average and decided to go for a sub-70 as I was so close to it. Averaged 6.57 pace in the end. Happy with that, shows my base is quite good going into campaign, just need to cope with the party season for the next 2 weeks!imageimage

GDMOH

• Options
    SBD. wrote (see)
    Impressive business travel time management skills PMJ - where were you running today (I row down at Marlow!)?Week 1 of the Brighton campaign under the belt and only another 17 weeks to goimage

Sunday's run started parking outside Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre, then into Marlow, through Higginson Park, out Pound Lane and down through the Harleyford Estate into Hurley and then along the river to Aston. Return route was picking paths between the river and the Henley Road. I do a lot on the Thames Path but it gets very muddy and slow at this time of year so I try not to do out and backs.

I always reckon that it must be hard starting a marathon campaign before Christmas. I tend to take it easy over the holiday and do some social running without too many goals and then hit it refreshed in the new year.

• Options
    SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Hope all is well with everyone.

Quieter week for me with running as work has been crazy, and spending some time with family in Liverpool. Did manage to get in 13 miles along Otterspool prom with a loop around Sefton Park at 7am yesterday. Average 8:37 easy pace but good stretches of 8:10s along the prom.

If I can consolidate this fitness into the new year I will be pretty happy with progress.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Poacher - intrepid work - Fiennes-esque image

SBD - good start to the campaign

Gerry well toughed out, - well-earned breakfast !

GD nice brisk training 10, and solid early 13 SEdan

OO - big congrats to junior - image   just perused the results - splendid overall placing (standard high at the sharp end), and County Champ has a nice ring to it) - tough course, too  . . . .

my son ran well, thanks to those asking - he was 3rd in the League , 14th from 184 in yesterday's race

sort of wished I was running yesterday, but even if fit there's no chance I'd have retained the V60 title - the 2 guys who kindly didn't run last year, who are much better than me, were there, and a new "kid" on the block was good, so I wouldn't have troubled the scorers  . . . .

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My last week in Switz before Noel and it's cool and sunny.

Never heard of Otterspool SEdan but sounds like a nice run. Hope you can keep it going to the New Year. Likewise I need to find about 130 miles by New Year to reach my lifetime best mileage of 2250 from last year- not too stressed if I miss though.

Anyone planning races over Christmas? I've got a 10k this Saturday (last of the year), then 11k on New Years day. And maybe a parkrun thrown in. I usually start marathon training over Christmas holidays, which really means starting to crank the miles up slightly.     

• Options
    AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Very impressive performances from junior Birch & OO - congrats to the dads who provided the genetics!

Lots of good weekend running going on, distances seem to be on an upward curve in general.

Like SBD, it was the end of P&D week 1 for me, although I'm following the lighter weight version of the schedule so my weekend was 4 easy on Saturday and 12 as an MLR yesterday giving the prescribed 33 for the week plus a swim. Week 2 began today with 8 including 10x100m strides. After a manic weekend with triple family birthday celebrations, I'm looking forward to a rest day either tomorrow or Wednesday (more juggling of schedule days to fit life).

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you are being modest Birch. Congrats to your son that's a terrific run. Junior told me the course and conditions were tough and she didn't really enjoy it. Her last year as U20 so she was very pleased with the win.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Really well done, OO Jr and Birch Jr.  Incredible talent there.

G-Dawg Merrily On High wrote (see)

MsE - Great tip on the downhill specific training. I had thought a little about it but looking at the Boston profile, you're spot on. I'll be factoring that into my training. I've not followed a training plan for years, I just make one up myself that I tweak after every marathon with lessons learned each time.
    The Boston plan will be 5 runs per week with LSR, Hill, Track, Tempo and General/Recovery runs. Has worked for the past 5 maras, all PBs.

GDMOH

Right, GDMOH, I found this gem from McMillan.  I had asked him how to prepare to run Boston well and he gave me this hills advice:

"This does seem to be the $64K question. I, too, am not a natural downhill runner so if I were to run Boston again, I would do a ton more running on hilly routes and push the downhills more. I've played around with my form to see what seems to be efficient downhill and cause the least damage/stress. Everyone is different... Outside of actual running, I know runners have used:

1) Jumping rope - really more for eccentric loading of the longer legs (as part of durability in downhill running)

2) Squats - some have success with just doing squats (bodyweight or with weights) as in strength training whereas others do them more dynamic (faster) with even a hop up at the end. 

3) Step downs - from a step/bench, etc. has been used - again as another exercise to eccentrically load the quads.

4) Hops - Bounding, hops and skips also introduce eccentric loading so those have been used as well.

Ultimately, anything that eccentrically loads (eccentric means when the muscle is contracted yet is lengthening) the quads will help increase their resistance to the downhill running. 

As always, one must be very careful as these are stressful and can leave you quite sore (and even injured if you do too much too soon) so start now to find an exercise that you think will work for you and gradually introduce and progress it.

Ultimately, I think if you can do a lot more running on hilly routes and gently push the downhills AND do lots of your workouts where they include the fast running on downhill segments, you give yourself a better chance at success."

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭

So lots of jumping up and (mainly) down on top of your training, basically! image

• Options

Cracking stuff by the Birch/OO jnrs - got to be in the genes, so dads can claim much of the credit as they mumble random rubbish about the good 'ol days, accompanied by pipe & slippers.

Good work Gerry, GD, PMJ ,SBD et al

MsE - Boston is challenging and hard to pace, but none of the hills are massively steep. Weather could be a bigger factor than gradient. Heartbreak need not be a heartbreaker.  A memorable day out whatever happens.

OO - having failed in the Berlin ballot, I searched for other races on the same day in 2017 as an alternative. The answer is: Hull. image Smackdown?

Lorenzo - with a c**p sub3 conversion rate of 1 in 54, what would I know?, but IMO you have the miles under the belt, you have the ability, you have the mindset, so all you need to do is to suffer a bit more. That's another way of saying fast  intervals till your body turns to jelly. But other training plans are available.

My brand new road bike was officially written off today, destroyed by the crash. So, back to running image

• Options

Cracking races from junior 00 and mini birch image

SBD My mara is 4th june Walled city marathon so a bit far way for targets yet but I want something starting with a 2 before I'm too old so need to start closing the gap image  ,it's not a great pb course though as it's got at least 5 miles of hills ! My pb set on my 1st mara is  3:27 which was 3 year ago before I had lots of knee bother and a bit soft now ..what's your target ?

Gerry nobody wants to remember the last 6 mara miles ,certainly not in my last 2 ,one legged pain fests image

Lorenzo ho ho ho will be following your sub 3 campaign with interest image

Poacher you might actually have time to run now between training mara's .I have been looking at local race calendar and there is a 10 mile in early march and 2 halves to choose from late march ,shift dependant as I don't have next years pattern yet  but running races with no/little taper in a mara build up has broken me before so wary image

6 slow recovery miles .