Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options

Really useful sessions that you're doing Harminder - but I doubt that I'll be in London between now and the marathon weekend.

Frustrating couple of weeks as have been ill.  Got out again for a parkrun on Saturday.  Managed to run it all - and seem to be doing that regularly now.  But the prospect of Christmas do's coming up in the next few weeks is a real pain and makes it more difficult to try to gain some progress.

• Options

Harmander - Those are some serious stats!

I'll register my interest in the Tower Bridge to Finish Line run, but I'll need to confirm next year how it all fits in with the training plan and when I can get a day out.  I live in High Wycombe, so not too far.

RunCraig - The Tough 10 was tough!  Should have expected that really, but it was good fun.  Very muddy, roots, rocks, narrow paths, steep hills etc.  I was surprised how much the different muscles around my ankles ached afterwards.

My time was just under 1:20 for the 10K, but then the fastest time was 45 mins so I don't feel too bad about that.

PGI - There's still plenty of time left for training; that's what I'm telling myself anyway!

• Options

There is plenty of time but it is frustrating losing time when all I'm doing at the moment is parkruns and not managing to get out during weekdays at all.  So definitely getting in the Humbug spirit already as Christmas do's will just make for more valuable time lost.

• Options

Got out and did 14 miles at the weekend which I was pleased with, felt comfortable most of the way round until very backend of the run, this is due to a combination of some big hills to finish the route and also psychologically I'm a nightmare for feeling tired when I know I'm nearing the end of a run regardless of the distance covered or how fast I've gone. Does anyone else suffer similar?

Calves ached a bit for the rest of the day and the top of my right foot felt bruised as if I'd tied my lace too tight but nothing serious.

I've always suffered with my calves tightening though, any recommendations on how to solve or alleviate the problem? I'm a bugger for stretching, both pre and post run, so it may be as simple as taking that more seriously but what about compression socks, do they work?

• Options

Kinga,

I get exhilarated towards the end and have to stop trying to speed up.toward the end.

It maybe due to your pacing that you feel drained, combined with how much hydration/fuel you take on during your run..

As for self motivation, once one accepts that the race/run has to be done/completed no matter what, it generally becomes mentally easier to just doing it - enjoyable even.

• Options

I don't feel that the pacing was an issue but then I've never run that far (albeit I only did just under a mile less than a HM) so I guess I have little to compare with.

As far as hydration/fuel is concerned that isn't something I'm currently taking on board during a run but realise I will need to introduce it at some point and practise to find what works best for me. To be honest that part is the one thing that is stressing me out the most, I've only ever put my kit on, gone out and ran, so eating/drinking what/when is completely alien!!

• Options

Dear Kinga,

We all know our bodies better than anyone else so I will refrain on giving any opinions other than what I have found works for me - but most of what I know has been gained by learning from the experience and advice from others.

What I learnt is that no matter what the distance, one starts flailing (hitting the wall) at a point about a third more than what your body is used to - unless you control your pace. Once a combination of controlled pace and distance is mastered you can start affording to push on the speed front.

I annot explain the science bit about the importance of taking on fuel but despite not being a driver I know one cannot run on empty. 

Rest between races for ordinary mortals like myself is important is also an important matter - after eight races in nine weeks I am shattered - so will slow down a bit on training (until the Ultra on 18 December) having reached 2000 miles in less than eleven months.

Hope this helps

• Options

MikeSmith - Well done on the Tough 10, a decent time considering the terrain etc. Have you got any other races coming up?

Harmander Singh 2 - Its is very kind of you to offer up those training sessions, at this moment in time I doubt I will be able to make it. If i was closer I would definitely consider it.

Kinga - Well done on the 14 miles. With regards to Calf, stretching may well help, I have been roughly following the runnersworld stretches after every run to try to stay injury free - see here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/staying-healthy/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners/484.html - except I do  slightly different hamstring stretch and I also add in a back stretch and some heel drops at the end. Also, maybe look into foam rolling? 

Here is how my week went:

Tues: 3.56 miles easy 
    Fri: 2.18 miles easy 
    Sun: 4.94 miles long 

Total: 10.68 miles in 1 hr 50 mins 36 secs - avg pace 10:21 mins/mile. 

Motivation is still high, posting here is definitely helping. Still keeping all of my runs easy as I build the mileage. 

• Options

I work in a fairly slack office so I've decided that at least once I week I will come in wearing track suit trousers and running shoes and stuff my jersey and smartish shirt into my back pack and run at least some of the way home. Main problem is that I work in central London so any run is very stop-start because of crowds (I have to get across Oxford Street) but the alternative is getting up at 5.30 to run before work or going home (an hour on public transport) and either going straight out (when I'm starving) or eating and waiting two hours (so I don't go out until 8.30 or later). 

How do others fit it all in? 

• Options

I have access to showers to work so will forego lunch and go out for a run 2 or 3 times per week, particularly in winter when it's dark / cold in the mornings & evenings. Or I'll go out running with my club at 7pm, and just get something to eat afterwards.

At weekends, I'll go out about 7am -ish so that I'm back at a sensible time for family duties. Again, eating breakfast afterwards.

Running on an empty stomach is probably a good thing - less chance of a stitch (this is a problem for me if I run after eating), and it's also training your body not to rely on a fuel tank, and to use fuel (i.e.- food reserves) efficiently. If you can train on an empty stomach you should be better prepared and less reliant on food as a source of energy on the day.

• Options

I wish I could run *to* work but no showers and I don't think I'd be organised about having clothes to change into at the ready. I'm going to have to get into the habit of going out for a run as soon as I get in from work when all i want to do is slump...But it's definitely getting harder now it's dark even when i leave work at 5 

• Options
    Trainers!! I have a pair I like, they like me, they were fitted by a shop. I'm thinking of getting another pair to break in and swap around if they get wet etc, but I can't get the same ones as they have now been replaced with a newer version, can I/should I assume that these will be as ok fit wise?? To be honest it would be a real pain to get back to the shop and I know I'm too nice not to buy them from there, and thus they will also cost be ??30-40 more, which I'm reluctant to spend on 'spares'
  • Options

WAID,

I have about four pairs of trainers including the less worn suitable for trail marathons.

On average they each last me about 600 miles of running.

Just be realistic and invest in a couple, they are an essential part of the option you have knowingly taken, i.e. running a marathon

• Options

Did my promised Cutty Sark to Tower Bridge VLM course familiarisation run with a couple of newbies - and my friend Vanessa (239 marathons and counting) - as the weather was nice we carried on till Narrow Street (mile 14 marker) along The Highway and ran back to Tower Gateway DLR station - 9 miles exactly in 1:46 (about 12 seconds/mile quicker than promised).

• Options

Bit of a quiet week for me as family time took over, managed a short session on Friday where I got in some hill reps and tried to combine it as a bit of a speed session where I'd push up the hill and then ease off on the loop back round to start again.

Yesterday was an 11 miler with my lad pacing me on his bike!! Felt good though at what I think will be my marathon pace, just remains to be seen if I can maintain that pace as the mileage increases (or go faster still!!)

Accomodation all booked for the big day so thats one less thing to worry about, decided to stay over on the Sunday night too although I probably won't feel like walking far on a night out!

• Options

I got into London through a charity place and this will be my 2nd marathon after Edinburgh in 2014. Training's going well at the moment, I've recently done the Great Scottish Run which is a half marathon and just continuing on various runs at the moment to keep my general fitness up before implementing my training plan.

One bit of advice I'm looking for is where is the best place for accommodation for the marathon in terms of getting to the start and also getting back after. I've reserved an apartment at Surrey Quays, but I can change that.

Look forward to hearing from everyone about their training.

• Options

Accommodation - as long as you're reasonably central is doesn't really matter - tube / DLR will get you around quickly, easily and free (on the Sunday). Staying nearer the start will make things easier in the morning, staying closer to the finish will make things easier afterwards. But remember that afterwards you're likely to be tired and sore, and walking may not be as easy as normal!

Also depends how you're getting into London, e.g.- if you're getting the train into Euston station, then a hotel between the finish area and Euston (e.g.- around Russell Square - this is where I normally stay) would be a good idea.

Whatever you do, book early, as prices will only go up.

• Options

Hi Rossi71

Surrey Quays is well placed in terms of getting to the start - just either walk/pop one stop on the Overground to Canada Water, from where you can get the jubilee line one stop to Canary Wharf and then the DLR to the start. All DLR trains at Canary Wharf will be going to the start line on race morning. This should be a fairly quick and straightforward journey! As for getting back, if you are heading straight home after the finish you could get on the jubilee line at Westminster or Green Park straight back to Canada Water.

• Options

Hi All, it's been a couple of weeks since I posted and my update is - It's cold!

So far, so good.  I've only missed one run so far, but I'm beginning to feel the cumulative miles.  I'm doing a fair bit of juggling of the runs around to fit them in and also now have the option of running in the evening with a head torch. I've seen a few foxes and surprised a couple of dog walkers, but many of the roads don't have street lights round where I live so it is necessary.

This week I'm squeezing my runs in during the week, as I am giving blood on Friday evening and don't want to be running over the weekend.  Any advice on running after giving blood?

And I'm now thinking about accommodation - Thanks Kinga for the reminder!

• Options

Quite proud of myself this afternoon in that I organised myself to run 10k (admittedly slower than treacle) ending up at a swimming pool so I could swim and shower and meet friends afterwards. I don't think I smelled *too* bad...

• Options
    Well done SlowT; 10k + swimming has to be good.

I got a bit stressed about accommodation but have now booked a hotel at St Pancras which should be a simple enough journey on the day. Had to check tube timetables, tube planner and thetrainline.com to be sure, fairly confident it'll be ok. I'm in London every few months so I'll check the route closer to the big day.

Training plan ramps up this month, up to 13 miles on New Year's Day. I did a 9 mile run before work on Friday, so it's good to know I can do that on days I work from home.

Oh, and by the way they don't like you running 9 miles on the day you give blood! They were worried about dehydration but given the temperature at the moment I could satisfy them that wasn't a problem!
  • Options

St Pancras will be absolutely fine and I imagine you'll see loads of other runners at breakfast!

• Options

Hi everyone, good to read back over how we're all getting on. Starting to get serious now - only 4 and a half months to go....

Back on the 3 runs a week, steady plods to get back up to 10k by Christmas. Feeling good, if a little slow. Need to lose some weight (well, quite a bit actually), then I might speed up, but just concentrating on getting out there regularly at the moment and building up slowly to avoid the knee issues.

Love running in the cold - so much easier than in the summer.

• Options

OMG I forgot about sending you the training plan KieranG.

Was just taking a break after reaching 2000 miles for the year a few weeks ago.

The good news is that I have confirmed my Runners World Pace Team (5 hour pacing) slot for VLM2017.

Was Blue start this year but wait to see if it will be the same again next year.

Also received news that I will be a Brooks Sports ID (Inspire Daily) Coach again in 2017.

The wife has just completed her 100th Parkrun last week too.

Might as well start looking for a full time job now or else she might think I am getting lazy lol

• Options

Ten miles yesterday but hamstring an issue so need to stretch and more stretching! Well done to all soon be getting lighter!

• Options

Evening all.

Thanks Harmander - got my plan sorted now, and I'm sticking to it (give or take a day or so !).

Love running at this time of year. Went out yesterday for 4 miles in the fog, absolutely glorious. 26 miles seems a long way off though - get Christmas out of the way and it will come round really quick I expect. I am at the same sort of distance I was up to at this stage last year, so on track so far....

• Options

Does anyone else have the 10-minute barrier? Is that a well-known phenomenon?

I always feel absolutely rubbish for the first 10 minutes (almost to the point of "I can't be a**ed today), then feel great after 10 minutes like I could carry on all day.

Maybe it's just me.

• Options
    Hey Kieran, yeah I get the same thing, normally less than 10 mins - more like .5 miles where my legs feel dead, breathing deeply, generally like I could turn around and go home. I guess I'm not really warming up properly. Although that feeling of being able to run all day has definitely gone by mile 9!

Other times I can just get straight on it and feel fine, part of it may be psychological maybe.
  • Options

Yes, when I say"all day", I don't mean it literally ! image

• Options

Kieran and others,

Two techniques to reduce your ten minute syndrome:

1. Include a slightly more intense cardio warm up element before you set off.

2. Thinking of your long term goal (to run a marathon eventually), view each run as a stepping stone towards that target with a target for the run you are about to commence - e.g. What time will you want to cover the distance for that run and therefore what pace should you be setting off at - all the more important to have interim time targets along th route.

Just somethings I learnt from my trainers