Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant runs at the marathon Lit and Johnas! Pbs well and truly smashed, looked an amazing atmosphere watching on the TV. Quite surreal watching Rob Danson cross the finish line with Paula as I've raced against him a few times as he's a Lancashire lad. Thought he'd be looking at a sub 2.30 as he's a low 15 5k and I'd expect him to be 31s for 10k this year.

Well done on the win Scott! Not a bad return to racing eh?

Hopefully a summer of big performances as a reward for all the knocks you've taken. Great to see you get the rewards.

Nice run at the MT 10k Bus. Looks as though he's been out for a walk, realised there's a race on and joined it near the finish by jumping out of the bushes! Would be good to go pot hunting in some random gear, maybe a football shirt etc and win the race.

Looks like an exciting summer for you SS. Really consistent reps and 400s are never easy!

Simon, your running is going to suffer now with Bournemouth going up! Boozy weekends a plenty now. If it's anything like Burnley, every pub in the town has an Arab football channel and the pubs show the game every week! Hope they stay up but what odds on them struggling at Xmas and the rusky's firing Howe and Tindall and giving Harry Redknapp the job?

Still toying with the idea of the autumn marathon as I really want a go before Manc next year. Possibilities are an off road one with 3000ft of elevation in September or Leicester, Frankfurt or Abingdon around the end of October. On the waiting list for Abingdon but don't want to be waiting and get the nod about 8 weeks to go or something.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Loads to catch up on...

Simon.  Nice marker on the 1500, I'm sure you will smash that to bits next time out.

Congrats to johnas and lit, big pbs in London is a great achievement.

scott excellent return with a good win.  More to come

Good race bus, but fancy being beaten by the Man from Uncle!

ric, another good race.

fast reps as. Are you at Trafford next week?  I might have a crack at 3k

dachs - what's your secret race? Is it a northern one?

the bug I was worried I'd catch , that kept my kids off school for days, caught me on Friday so had zero running for 3 days.  Just running easy at the moment

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Not really secret, I was just being pointlessly obtuse.  Marlow 5 in a couple of weeks.  The one SG & co like to win as 'Team MTSG'.  Going to try it as a tester of target 10K pace.

Q&A with JonnyD on Eightlane http://eightlane.org/quick-fire-questions-with-jonathan-davies/ 

He does not choose Samir Haddad as his sporting hero.  I call that disgusting ingratitude.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

For anyone who doesn't know the forum eightlane. Imagine that RW is like a ladder with all the steps representing all abilities.

Well eightlane isn't like that.

It's like a 12 step ladder with the bottom 10 missing.

Basically, unless you're fringe international runner, piss off.

Balanced and interesting it isn't.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Eightlane forum isn't even that anymore.  It's four blokes arguing endlessly about UKA.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, I used to read Eightlane back in the 'no holds barred' days. It was classic insult via anonymity stuff. You could put anything on it. And some guys from a place called (no idea) St Mary's did.

Having said that, even the insults had rules. No racism for a start.

The site was then shut down on account of the insults and brought back as nothing.

Oh, forgot to congratulate everyone about races, training, busting a gut and being turned over by guys in dinner jackets smoking a pipe.

Probably find 'Mr Jacket' is a 25 minute 5 miler.

Session this morning - One minute fast, one minute jog. Did that for 35:30. Well over 5 miles covered.

Yesterday I may have run one of the fastest ever times up something called Bathwick Hill, in Bath. Its on Strava and having driven up it, I find it hard to believe I ran up the thing.

Less than a minute off the all time record. I'll try again in the heat, a following wind and without already booted seven miles beforehand.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well done marathon gang. probably the same sentiments I expressed this time last year, but the biggest compliment I can give is that you got me wondering, in more romantic moments,  how I'd fare.

Obviously quickly expunged the first time I ran over 10miles!

8x200s at 1500 pace again. Quite like this session, as it's so short. Although you're not liking it mid rep.

Was eager to test on the track versus what I was laying down on pavements, not unreasonably expecting faster.

33.10 and 33.25 on the pavements last 2 averages.

33.50 on the track!

Obvious reason really, first 50metres was into blooming wind. And had made sure not to start at the other end of the track as that was heavier wind. Did wonder about simply switching direction, but seemed one of those awkward side on winds that you can't avoid.

Anyway! More consistent on the track per rep at least, no 31-34 ranges, just all in the 33s, bar one 32.99!

• Options

I thought Dachs was on about Shinfield.

Speaking of which, Pete - Shinfield is reasonably flat-ish. I didn't do it last year and 2013 was a long time ago. There are a couple of lumps and a bit rural in places. Had to check to see why my number had not arrived and I see that it is collection on the day now.

Everything is in to wind on the track SG!

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)

Not really secret, I was just being pointlessly obtuse.  Marlow 5 in a couple of weeks.  The one SG & co like to win as 'Team MTSG'.  Going to try it as a tester of target 10K pace.

Do I recall you saying a few outright wins was a target for 2015: reckon Marlow 5 could be one of those. 10k pace for you has to be 5:1x and maybe for 5 miles you would look to squeeze under 26 minutes and that would put you in the top 3 all the past years and if the stars align and Phil Wicks does not turn up it could be #1.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the problem with Marlow, is that it's such a cavalry charge out of the park that even chumps like me end up doing the first mile in 5.10, so Dachs you might want to test some 4.50 miles, followed by not collapsing image

Iron, you say that, but I do remember some still days. The 28+ laps the other week was remarkably still, thank goodness, or I might have just wept.

The biggest thing you lose doing track work versus on roads, is looking like a hero to people going past.

Although some old guy walking a mutt did shoot me a "who's this twat" look pre sesh.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Iron, so did I, as Dachs has won Shinfield in the past, classic low key pot hunting image

Unfortunately some of us have to stoop to even more suspect level races to pot hunt.

I've got my eye on the Cock n Biscuits inaugural 2k race this year. (alsoa  5k&10k on).

Does Shinfield still have a half km/km on stones?! That and wind I remember derailing me a bit in about 2009, as I battled against a Maidenhead chap I raced about 7 times in a row...can't remember who came out on top, but it was 4-3 I'm sure.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bloody work got in the way of a session today, and even being able to catch up on here until now! Still, a da off won't do any harm...

Dachs, we promise to hang around and give you due praise at Marlow if you win before collecting our even more prestigious social team trophy image. As Mr J says, Phil Wicks might be the only fly in the ointment should he turn up, though Cooray keeps saying he will do it. Just remember though, it's not on PO10 anymore (boo!)

Matt - do  Abo not do a shorter reserve list for athletes of your quality? Must be worth pressing the point with the RO perhaps - if London gives a champ place for 75, then Abo can't turn it's nose up at a 71!

SG - you seem to be making that track your new home.! Is it as windy as the old track?

Mr Jacket appears to have no running history, as far as I can tell from his name! Maybe he did jump out of the bushes at the 6k point or something. You're right though Dean - definite shades of man from Uncle!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, how do you measure 200s to a hundredth of a second on the pavement? Nice 200s anyway, got some short stuff planned this summer?

Ric, having grown up not far from Bath, I know Bathwick Hill. Sounds prettysolid to me, wouldn't fancy running up it myself.

I am doing Marlow and Shinfield.

Shinfield isn't that low key. It's frequently won in 32:xx, and has a course record under 30. The course has changed a few times in the past, and was once short, but yeah I think there's a bit on a stony path across a field you do twice. It's pretty flat, and was my PB course for a while.

As for Marlow, I thought it had a higher quality field than that, but maybe I was just misled by seeing Phil Wicks's name in there. Either way, plan is to use it to try to hold 10k target pace a few weeks before the target 10k race. A podium place would be a lovely bonus.

I'm doing my pot hunting later in the year image.

9 with 5m tempo tonight. 5m at 5:33 pace. Sounds alright, but actually 5s per mile slower than HM pace. Got to bear in mind I've gone a little backwards since that HM, so a decent session.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, simply by setting a session up on my watch, registering 200m, and 90sec recoveries to auto complete. The time is recorded to 100th just as track would be. Is nice as it gives you a little beeping countdown.

Only difference on a track is I'm a bit of a technical dumbass and have to get my fat fingers on the buttons for start and finish.

Is there a way of pre setting it on a track in the same way? Can you set it up to register the start and finish of a rep, as obviously it'd never get the distance quite right in a circle.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, i'm glad you've not quite matched my 5mile pb in a mere casual training session. I edge your session out by a colossal.... 1 second..presuming there's no rounding issues taking that away from me

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing 1200s at lunch today, so will have a similar technical issue and will need to change the GPS set up to show lap time so I don't make the same error as last time and rely on GPS pace!

What pace would anyone recommend for 1200s in advance of a 5M and 10k? I was thinking of doing them at target 10k pace, which for me is 5:47 or close to 86 sec per lap (it's about time that we followed Iron's example and stopped this messing with mixing metric and imperial measurements!).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

depends if your target pace is realistic against your current pace image

Of so..probbo will work a treat

12 today, 7.03 pace to be precise.

I was wondering how that'd sit for a marathon, doing a couple of 13-15s in the week. I suppose there probably wouldn't be many doubles and maybe only 1 session a week though as compensation.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of thoughts about marathons SGimage
  • Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

depends if your target pace is realistic against your current pace image

Of so..probbo will work a treat

12 today, 7.03 pace to be precise.

I was wondering how that'd sit for a marathon, doing a couple of 13-15s in the week. I suppose there probably wouldn't be many doubles and maybe only 1 session a week though as compensation.

It wouldn't. 12 is nothing for a marathon, you need to do a longer second run each week than that. I do one proper long (17 up to 21) and one medium (13 to 15) each week.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think if you don't have young kids it's just as easy to do a midweek 14 as a 10. You just have to get up half an hour earlier.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He's coming round Matt image. I think it's the consistent mid-week medium long run that's always been missing from my marathon preparation.

Target 10k pace should be realistic - it's just to dip under 36. Current PB is 36:15, but I've done very close to 36 in 10M races at least twice, including a chip recorded one of 36:05 at GSR. Mind you, age is starting to take it's toll and/or I'm not in the same form as then so who knows!! I'll find out in 2 weeks image

Anyway, 7.1M total at 7:04, pace with 4x1200m off 400m jog rec at the track. Target was 4:18 and came out as 4:17, 4:15, 4:15, 4:18. Happy with that, as it was pretty breezy in places, especially on the last rep. I was thinking of doing a 5th, but ran out of time as much as energy!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks tidy Bus.

Always an interesting one, when do you change zones if a pb was a while ago.

I wondered that myself, but seem to be able to hit zones based on a pb 2 years ago still, unless it's a pretty long rep like 3miles at 10k pace continuous, or 600/800s at 3k pace, off only 90secs. Basically stuff that is a big ask.

our work moves 30-40mins away in a year, i am half pondering whether the single run nature of the longer distance might help.

But only gently...i've never once finished a 14-16miler and thought, "that's a shame, i was hungry for more"

Apart from Lit, does anyone else who has done marathons think the same? Is it just one of those things, that you are always comfy with what is on the agenda, and don't want to do more?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's a bit of that I guess - when your brain is expecting a specific distance, it generally won't be too pleased about being asked to do more!

I don't think that during marathon training I've ever done a 14-16 and wished for more, but after a few 20-22s you do finish the shorter ones feeling relatively fresh. The other thing of course, is that it's fairly typical to be running the last few miles of the medium long run at MP, whereas the long, long run will normally be done much slower.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    My favourite run of the week is my long run. Either at an easy pace or when I've thrown some threshold sections in.
  • Options

Here are my notes on marathon training.

1) Build up slow. I run 13 miles on and off most the year and when marathon season comes round you need to wind it up slowly, so 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and eventually 20 takes the best part of two months so after Cabbage Patch at the end of October, the next two months are just growing that single long run.

2) Once your long is long, build up your medium. Again take it slowly, so my midweek is probably 7 or 8 and needs to get up to 15 and that is another 2 months.

3) Step back every few weeks. So don't just push hard all the time, take a rest week maybe one in four.

4) Choose your start day. I know it makes no physical difference but I start on Monday and do my long run Tuesday, so by the end of Tuesday I have 25 miles under my belt and that is the biggest part of a 55 mile week done. If you do you long run Sunday then start the week Sunday and not Monday.

5) Know your limits. There is a hard bit to the core of marathon training and my body can't stand that for too long. Loads of people follow 18 week plans and that is a very long time and they get injuries etc. Much better to do all of a short plan than do parts of a long plan. This is all in reference to the real core when you are doing a long run, a medium run and one other quality session a week and 3 recovery sessions.

So really I have Nov to Dec long run build up, Jan to Feb hold long and grow medium run, Mar and Apr full bore 3x sessions for a marathon at the end of April.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that a long run can take up to 3-4 weeks to recover from. I think a long run every week is too much. I think when I do a proper campaign I will do one every 2-3 weeks or so.

Another brilliant way to prepare is loads of cycling, he says, hoping.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good sentimonies Phil.

Obviously, as part of the coaching set up with Lit, we adapt the P&D scheme, which we use the 18week version, the 55-70 version.

You get the Monday off, so if you do the long run early on the Sunday, you in effect have the best part of 2 days recovery. Looks pretty needed as some of those Lactate Threshold runs look demanding. But with 1 session a week, it's fairly doable.

Looking at the 70+ schedule though, you've got to be pretty robust, as you get no rest day at all, and come the Mesocycle 2, you're looking at 80-93 mile weeks, with doubles 3 times a week.

I think victory 1 would be turning up fit on raceday!

• Options

13-15 miles was bread and butter each Sunday, with a couple of 20s thrown in for good measure. All I can remember from way back when was that 20 is a f*cking long way to run, and whilst it was awful at the time it did prepare me for a long day in the office.

I think I loosely followed Hal Higdon's beginner marathon plan and mixed it with club running. So 7mi Tue, 6 Thur, then LSR on Sunday. I was also doing a couple of hours cycling Sat and sporadically in the week. It was something like a 16 week campaign, and long before I discovered speedwork.

Stevie G wrote (see)
    Is there a way of pre setting it on a track in the same way? Can you set it up to register the start and finish of a rep, as obviously it'd never get the distance quite right in a circle.

I use the provided white lines on the track. GPS can be set to repeat on position, but with the accuracy and repeatability of consumer units I wouldn't rely on it. Use the lap button instead.

Typically my watch will autolap at 1km, which is never a problem for shorter reps. For 1km and above I would turn that off and use the track markings, or like last week set my watch for 1200m (accepting my own comments about accuracy and repeatability).

What I have done in the past is mark out a 400m stretch of road whilst jogging easy, then use that for my reps. At least the same distance is guaranteed for each rep.

Stevie G wrote (see)

looks tidy Bus.

Always an interesting one, when do you change zones if a pb was a while ago.

I wondered that myself, but seem to be able to hit zones based on a pb 2 years ago still, unless it's a pretty long rep like 3miles at 10k pace continuous, or 600/800s at 3k pace, off only 90secs. Basically stuff that is a big ask.

I'm still using Dec '13 PB for pacing. T'other year I'd be adjusting zones on the Monday following a PB.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

good sentimonies Phil.

making up words again. wantings, beneficiality, crapinessful

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

stop being such a scofflaw Phil.