Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

In many ways, yes image.   That was he retching that cost me the sub 37 then - that'll teach me to chase you!

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

7.5 miles today, reet sore! Very slow and easy.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you don't really believe in recovery runs do you son?

Please don't tell me you'll be doing track reps tomorrow!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well, due to misplaced enthusiasm, I decided on a second run to add to the nine miles I'd run earlier.

However, no sooner had I put on the kit, I was hit with a blinding flash of common sense and took it all off again.

Went and had something to eat instead, and put my feet up. Sensible.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

My second run today would have been better off not being done, but I did have to get home!

I sure wouldn't have wanted to do a 7.5M after a half yesterday though! Jeez Stevie - you can reward yourself with a day or two off after two massive PBs in 3 days you know image

• Options
    Damn me for not posting since Thursday! Too much to take in all at onceimage great stuff from SS- liked the shrieking like a girl, good stuff. Great racing from Phil, Bus, Matt and I must have missed someone. Dean, soooo frustrating getting stuck in traffic, my worst was missing Supergrass at the Blur Ally Pally gig in 94!

So, weather still shite, when will the fan get turned off? So facking annoying, had the Beds track champs yesterday so decided to do the 5000m as it doubled up as the EVAC champs too. Became apparent that it was going to be a time trial with a windy back straight. Decided on 77's to get about 16 mins, which started to slip a bit halfway. So gave myself a kick up the backside and ended up with 15.56. Contented with that, now a bog standard week with the BUPA 10k on Monday.

Some reps in regents pk tomorrow lunchtime, bit of shower dodging by the looks.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie see wrote (see)

7.5 miles today, reet sore! Very slow and easy.

Looks reasonable to me as recovery running.

Well done on cracking 16 minutes in the wind Simon. One day it'll stop. Given a decade or two!

🙂

• Options

Good effort in the wind Simon.

Good running over the weekend too chaps. Nice to see Phil getting back on form and Bus continuing with his normal finishing procedures.

Avoided most of the rain yesterday morning, but a battle to make headway on the bike and remain below HR limit. Got a little damp towards the end. Keeping a weather eye out for today's tempo session. Bloody wind.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Happy bday SS. Please don't do anything silly today like smashing a race or hard reps, however much the post pb hype is kicking in! I think you're already pushing it after 2 races in a week, and doing so much running yesterday. 3miles super slow is about the most i'd do the day after a hard half! Followed by a rest day image

Anyhoo, fancied my session immediately when I saw it.

5x (400 @3k, 30secs, then 200 @ 1500). 3mins in between sets.

For a guide, in my pace zones 75s would be slow end 3k pace. For the 200s, I've done 33s as a standalone 200 session, but strictly speaking the 1500 zone is 35s

When finding the exact average from the full 100th of a second split, we're  72 - 34    (72.40 - 34.39)

Hit a particularly windy spell in the 73 which slowed rep 5, but generally felt very tasty indeed.  (Shame that 35 was a 35.01, and not a 34.99, but still...in the exact average it doesn't make much odds)

It's funny what you think about mid rep. I remembered Chingo once said he thought someon this thread do their reps too fast, and I did mine too slow (ie doing 400s at 5k pace rather than storming them). However,  I think today he would have enjoyed those ones!

Although on the flip side, I was thinking, Dean would probably be smashing the 200s sub 30 in the same session image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Simon, especially in the wind.

Good work Stevie. Looks a nice session that one. If ever I find myself niggle free and ready for 200s I might try it myself.  How do I work out my theoretical 3000 and 1500 pace? Macmillan?

Iron - I can't seem to summon up the motivation to get the road bike out recently for some reason image

Shuffling medium off-road planned for lunchtime, maybe 8 or 9 miles, depending on how the legs feel.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd steer clear of McMillan to be honest. McMillan would have me doing "easy" paced runs in the mid 6s! 

My training is zone based, but yours isn't, so I'd probably just go along and just aim to run 400 pretty hard, and then do the 200s "very" hard. (relative to what you can produce after the pretty hard 400 image)

Today was a good confidence booster. I'd feel much more comfortable attempting 800s at 3k pace after that, as i'd actually be able to down the pace by 3 secs on the first 400. Having said that, i'd still need a big recovery i think, 3mins is good.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair enough. Only problem with longer recoveries is squeezing them into a lunch break!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Results of Staines are now on PO10, and I see they've overruled the 'age grading' standards used on the day, and used something better. Good!

Equal 4th best ever AG with 86:08%. image.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a result!

You've done the Ickenham 5 haven't you? Is it a quick course?

• Options

Nice one Ric!

Bus - as much as I dislike riding in such winds and rain I have to. It's on the plan!

As was today's 3mi tempo (10k pace). Route planned to allow 1mi WU and CD but going with the prevailing wind. Terrain was lumpy as Bracknell is built on a couple of ridges, but always good practise.

Anyhow - aimed for 3:59/km, came out at 4:06/km average which is annoying as it was the Shinfield and Marlow pace average too.

No number on the chest makes the legs turn slower in training.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ickenham 5.

I think it could be a quick course. It's essentially flat. However, last year, I was already operating on 'empty' and ran around four seconds per mile slower than I'd run at Staines a few weeks earlier.

At Staines I was tired. At Ickenham, I was shattered. In fact, in the next race I dropped out not being able to hold even a 6:15 pace. Whole summer was a write off.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great sub16 in the conditions Simon, this wind is a reet bugger.

Nice reps SG. The trick is not to worry about what Dean would be doing.

So, Vets track league last night. I was down for the 800. Aim was just to enjoy it - a nice no pressure hammer down blast. No expectations on time - the main aim was to avoid getting beaten by the B String runner, who is 4-5 minutes slower over 10k, but had cranked out a 25 second 200 earlier in the night off long distance training.

The wind was strong and cold, but the evening had at least been sunny. However, as we lined up the heavens opened. Great. Let's forget about PBs!

A and Bs ran together off the curve. I get an inside lane draw, which will help, but I don't have a quick start, so I know I'm going to get swamped by the 18 strong field, which is precisely what happens. Drift to the outside and push past the mass down the back straight and attach myself to the back of the lead group of 5, but the slow start then surge has already cost me energy. Into the wind from 200, but I've got a little shelter. I'm in 4th now and 3rd is starting to pull away. Through 400 in 65, but legs are tiring, and by 550, they're swimming in lactic and I'm treading water. Back into the wind, and there's no hiding place now, and I'm slowing badly. Someone comes shooting past down the home straight, and two more try to overtake, including my B String. Since I am the team manager and decided who was A and B, I am NOT losing to him, so I throw the kitchen sink at these two, pull back alongside and dip to beat them both by a fraction of a second. 5th place in 2:17:06.

Obviously, 2:17 is not a true reflection, but that wind reduced times across the board by several seconds. I will do some speedwork and try to have a proper crack at 800 over the summer.

Then leg 3 of a 4 x 400. No split times here, thank f***. Take baton in 5th, about 30m behind 4th - eat up the ground, and overtake him by 180m, but in the home straight he comes back, and my 800 lactic has gone nowhere, so can't respond. Another guy is on my shoulder but I have enough to hold him off and hand over in exactly the same position again.

Had the kids with me, and they had a great night, shouting support at me, and hooting with laughter at the racewalkers. They were even inspired to do their own comedy racewalk round the edge of the track, tho I feel my 6 year old should have been DQed for lifting off.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

SG, nice session. Some tasty reps, looks a fun session to do. Given your advice don't look to far down my post image

Simon - nice sub 16! Nice blast out before the Bupa 10K.

Dachs, you can definitely run quicker than 2:17! The wind seems a common theme for the thread at the moment.

Track Tuesday consisted of 6 x 600 (2mins) @ 3K

1:58,1:58, 1:58, 1:58, 1:59, 1:53. Was a solo session so a bit boring and as per usual, the wind was playing havoc. Will have a short easy one tomorrow... maybe... image

Had a look at my proposed new training zones... 16:58 for 5K. Those zones are frightening! MP = 6:19!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Stevie image 

Celebrating with a solo track session and posting on here at 21.22?? I hope you've got some celebrations planned elsewhere image

Dachs - sounds like a fun evening, despite the wind and rain! It's like bloody October at the moment!

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

This weekend Bus, don't you worry. Then half term next week, some of my mates (normal ones who don't run) are off too! So a day or two sat in a pub beer garden talking nonsense drinking craft beer seems highly likely image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sound just the job Stevie. Fingers scrossed for a bit of sunshine to go with it!

• Options

Yep sounds nice SS. Although inside the pub is probably a better option currently! Good effort with the 600's

Cracking efforst at Staines Ric.

Great 800 report Dachs - it is a bit of a lottery at the moment with the weather, I did 20 x 30 secs yesterday down the canal, after taking a couple of hail and heavy rain breaks

Been called up for BAL again - 5000m this time at Southampton June 6th...argghh!

• Options

Happy bday for yesterday SS. Sounds like a nice plan, especially the craft ale part.

A friend is having his Stag do in Brussels so looking forward to some silly beer out there. image

1hr very easy HR run this morning. Didn't seem too bad out.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Since my drinking levels have been creeping up gradually over the years; day before Staines was half a bottle of red, two large tins of lager and a couple of g & t's, I thought that with all the 'beer' talk, to have a read about the effects of alcohol on running performance.

w      t       !

Ok then, that's one less thing.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Happy belated birthday SS, and good reps.  However, beware trying to push on from a period of PBing - that's what resulted in 3 months of underperformance for me post-Wokingham.  Should have just taken 2 weeks easy and built up again.

More track 5000s Simon?  I'm looking forward to my first one in June, but that's just against old men.

Last big 10K session last night.  3 x 2 mile with 4-5 minute recoveries, as per McMillan.  Did the same session 10 days before Leeds last year.  Happy with the outcome, I think on that basis that a PB will be tough but isn't entirely off the cards at Bristol, depending on conditions - will look to head out at PB pace and see what comes out at the end.

I'm planning my first Watford 3K for a bash at 8:59 for1st July.  Anyone else looking at that one? Simon, SG, etc?

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Some impressive racing going on. Well done to the ‘Staines Massive’ especially Ric with his Hovis powered WAVA score, Pete M for 17th and Matt for showing us there is a ‘me’ in team!

Re irritating phrases and Bus’ ‘cover off’, I am now working with Americans and they use ‘smash together’ a lot, which I think is brilliant.

Dachs – 800m seemed like a long way at school, I’d hate to run one now and find out that I’d lose to the 17 yr old me, who hadn’t trained at all.

Not much running for me since the Marathon just a few lunch time runs, mostly recovery. Last weekend however was the Slateman triathlon in Llanberis, North Wales. The lake was very cold, so the swim was shortened to 500m. I was a about 560th/1200 out of the water. The bike was through Llanberis Pass and Ogwen Valley, my split was 70th fastest. This would have put me up a few hundred places I expect.

The run was 11.7km (1200ft elevation) around the lake and up a slate quarry, mostly XC with a few kissing gates etc. It would be a great run just on its own. I undercooked the bike leg as I was worried about marathon legs on the run. I felt ok on the run though and made up a lot more places. There were some very steep sections and fabulous views. I’d go far as to say it was probably my favourite raced run ever. Possbily because I didn’t go flat out so was able to enjoy it. My split was the 17th fastest in 51:13. Overall I finished 46th although that included a couple of relay teams.

As it was so warm and sunny today I did my first bit of quality in ages. Warm up followed by 5x 1km reps. Only decided as I stepped outside so no planned paces, just not too hard. They came out at 3:20, 3:30, 3:26, 3:35 & 3:27 with about 60-90 seconds rest/jog between each, I just went again when I felt ready. The odds were a bit harder due to a bit of wind and maybe a slight incline. Never done 1km reps before, quite good fun.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds like a nice Tri Andrew. Llyn Ogwen must be bloody freezing this time of year!

Reps for me today as well - still wind affected, especially the last one. 1200x4 off 400m jog. Aim was for 4:18 so reasonably happy with 4:18,4:17, 4:17, 4:19. The last one felt hard though! 7M total with warm up and down, gives 48 miles in 5 days including a race so I'm going to F-off tomorrow image

• Options

Listening to marathon talk today and there was talk about 400m reps. John Walker (who ran sub-4 for the mile 135 times and is only second on the all time list behind Steve Scott with 136!) would do 8x400m in 51 seconds. He tells a tale of his last session before a big race and he did 49s for the first 2 and then stopped the session as he knew he was on fire and couldn't get any better and could only get worse.

• Options

Amazing stats arent they Phil - reminders of what sort of times the 'greats' used to do. Is that the Martin Yelling podcast? Saw him ,lizzie, and the rest of the Bedford gang at the weekend for Alec Stanton's 80th birthday party, great to see Paula there too, nice to meet her at last!!

Nice tri Andrew, sounds 'bracing!' Dachs - I'll have a look at the ridiculous schedule for the summer regards the 3k.

8 x 800 last night on the grass. Warm and breezy, but grass had been cut! started on 2.32,29,29,26,25,27,24,24. Did a 2 lap warm down with no drink so had a wobbly walk up to the bar after for an emergency bitter shandy & crisps. Serious athlete eh image Had dodgy guts on Weds, so that probably didn't help..

• Options

Nice reps Bus, AG and Simon. I find 1km reps nicer than 800s, probably because I try to hold near 400 pace for the 800s and my 1km target is sightly slower. 1200s are interesting.

Good session Dachs, I assume Bristol is this weekend.

I think if I did a single 400m rep in 60seconds I'd say my work was done.

Annoying phrases - "reach out".

10mi TT last night, a short 25minutes. Happy with that and well on target.