Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Well done for having another crack Dachs. Reminds me of going into Wetherspoons in the airport before 7am and it being rammed with people getting drunk. Seriously is there another country where this happens?

Track for me tonight and my legs still feel battered from the weekends XC run. I don't think having a cold is helping. 400 reps with the rest being half the time of the rep. Started off too fast with a 69 and slipped to high 70's avg 76 over 9 reps.

Doesn't help that there was only 8 people there and I ended up lapping the next fastest runner.

• Options

Did parkrun on Saturday and run out of steam about halfway through: then remembered I gave blood a week ago so not surprised. Decided at that point that 2015 was done for the track so no trip to Watford nor Bucks 10,000m.

Next few races are club champs things and then late October I have to go to New York for my boss's memorial. He died a few weeks ago: got cancer in the liver and went from flying round the world at 39,000 feet up to 6 foot under in less than 2 weeks. The memorial is the day before Halloween so will race a Halloween 5k: hundreds of the things all over the US. Was trying to fit in a NFL game as well but neither of the New York teams are at home that week and US distances make SG's away games look like a stroll down the road.

• Options

That's pretty sad Philip.

Well done for making the effort Dachs anyway, even if you are disappointed with the result - plenty of years ahead!

That Wetherspoons at Beaconsfield MSA was very controversial locally at the time. Dubious need to sell alcohol at an MSA aside, at least you can get food and coffee there that doesn't cost the Earth!

There's a Wetherspoons opposite my work - ideal for post long run to work breakfast. Full English and as much coffee as I can drink for just over £3! I do try and avoid being spotted leaving though....

• Options

Sorry to hear Phil.

In terms of travelling for NFL are the Patriots playing that week? Boston is only 3-4hours drive (or 45mins flight) from NY.

Dachs - what can  I say; Bigger and better next year.

• Options

IC, I need to look at that. They are playing Thursday night so I could do the game the day previous.

• Options

dachs - sounds like your final 3000 race was like my last 800 race of the season.  disappointed to miss a goal i knew i had in me..but glad i made the effort as knowing i ran and missed is better than not running and wondering what if.   shake it off and get ready for winter image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unlucky Dachs, appreciate you're frustrated, but at least you're hitting a high level and racing well. Remember some of us can't race right now, and have no definite time we will again...remember not to take it all for granted,

Get a report up though, 63rd rule of Stevie G thread, is get a report up, whether it's excellent, average or pony. I think Ric once tickled my ballz that if I didn't race well I just pretended I hadn't raced, but not the case - every single race gets a report.

Cripes, normally every hard session gets a report.

And if there's no decent training, it all becomes some sort of meander through life's foibles, or general random thoughts...image

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

IC, I need to look at that. They are playing Thursday night so I could do the game the day previous.

Their stadium is out in Foxboro. The 'T' might go out that far, or it's a cab job.

Rest day Monday and I've only cycled since very very easy. Leg were pretty back to normal yesterday and I today I've been zipping up and down the stairs so all good. LH achilles (it was RH last time) is still a bit tender so will see what it is like at an easy parkrun on Saturday after another rest day tomorrow.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not sure if I tickled your, ahem, wha..SG. Hard to tell in that era of confusion.

Still, all reports are worth a read, if only to report how we didn't do something or other. 

For some of us, even slow running is good running. But not for all.

I read once about a V40 who packed in running because he considered doing 53 minutes for 10 miles an indignity he couldn't face. Ok, so he'd done 48 minutes before, so may have had a point.

But I agree with not taking it for granted.

🙂

• Options

53? Bloody slowcoach eh? Really sad news Phil..solemn reminder for us all to just enjoy your health..anything else is a bonus.

Dachs - had a sneaky at the results, bugger eh. Sure you'll get it next year (just what I'd be saying to myself too!)

AG - Always find drinking at 7am quite liberating. You never know I might be doing some of that this weekend!

So - off to Berlin tomorrow, no. 9254 if anyone wants to track me. Aiming for 19 mins per 5k. Sorry quads image

• Options

image get that apology to 'em in early eh Simon? Big weekend - all the very best of!!

Just checked out the results from the Bucks AC track champs last night - bloody shocking turnout! 7 ran in the mile, 14 in the 10,000 and TWO in the 3000m steeplechase. Still, maybe I should have done it - might have squeezed into the top 10 in at least one of those image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Aiming for 19 mins per 5k. 

Only the same pace target as me then Simon; ok you keep going more than 8 times longerimage I'm also with you on the airport drink; if a holiday is starting it pretty much has to be done whatever the time of day!

• Options

I should make it clear I only knew it was rammed in there because we were in there doing Jagerbombs for breakfast. Those days seem to be behind me though.

8 easy home 8 easy back to work. Running early morning is hard.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thanks SG, I take your point about taking things for granted, and will fulfil your requirement for a report, albeit it will be a quick one.

Last Watford 3,000 of the season meant numbers were well down, and none of the really fast guys were there, so it was all one race and I was going to be somewhere near the front of it.  Felt good on the warm up, and was determined to get sub 9.

My start was disastrous, ending up somewhere near the back of the field within 10 metres, including behind people who were going to be running 10 minutes plus.  Went round the outside and was into about 5th by 200m.  Sat on the back of a couple of guys for two laps, before moving in front of them and past another bloke into second.  Pace was still OK at one mile, didn't have the buffer I wanted, but not a disaster.  Lap 5 was OK still, but knew it would be tight with a km to go, and pace fell off each.  The leader was coming back to me, and I did at one stage think I could get him and at least get a win.  At one lap to go it was 7:49, a second quicker than last time.  But within 50m of starting that final lap, I was suddenly running through treacle, nothing I could do would make my legs work properly and I shed seconds all over the place.  Only ever experienced anything like that in a marathon and once at the very end of an 800.  Literally nothing I could do.  BB Bob was watching and noticed my form falling off totally.  That last lap was a 75, which killed any chance off, and I ended up way outside with 9:04.16.

Splits at finish line:

35 (good)

1:46 (good)

2:58 (fine)

4:10 (fine)

5:23 (not great, let's get back on track)

6:36 (well that didn't work then)

7:49 (Can I do it?)

9:04 (no)

Just worked out that the first Watford meeting of the year is due to be early during VLM taper.  Could be interesting to see what a 3K looks like off marathon training.  PP has proven that you can run fast off that basis.

• Options
    AG - I know that feeling, especially on no food!

Dachs - still a superb run and you can't be all disappointed with your season, not hitting goals just causes for some adjustments and don't worry about the 3km, just run sub 2hr at VLM!

SC - Good luck!

SG - Again healing waves, hoping things will develop in your favour

PP - Good luck! 2:29 :/ duck me

Looking good elsewhere hoping training is going well Ric, Bus, IC, PMJ and Matt

Going to attempt south of England fell running champs this weekend on a little bit of a whim. Chopped and changed my schedule this week to accommodate my first session since a trial tempo run two weeks ago and first since my island games / Brighton 10km run end of June / start of July. Been averaging about 60-70 miles for last 7 weeks running all to HR (75 % max) (bar 1 week cutback) building from 30ish up gradually, mainly all off singles getting long run upto 16/18 miles so that's good.

3 x 1 mile at 4:53 / 4:49 / 4:52 was very pleasing and I do feel a ton stronger just from building a base early

4/12/21 KM 3 stage race with lowest cumulative time winning - I'll be running unattached and unofficially in the champs as not linked with Southampton. But hoping to have a good few runs

10m race October 19th for me
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Their stadium is out in Foxboro. The 'T' might go out that far, or it's a cab job.

All sorted: fly into Boston Thursday at 3pm, hire car to Dedham, then there is a special T on game days that goes all the way to Gillette stadium for an 8:25 kick off. Next day drive onto New York. Thanks for the hint.

Scott Edgington wrote (see)
    10m race October 19th for me

Odd, that is a Monday.

• Options
    Ah yes..

Sunday 18th - Brighton 10m - New race
  • Options

Hi Scott - good luck in the IoW series - I've heard it's a tough few days!  Just as well you've got some big weeks behind you.

Good report Dachs - particularly like the thoughts at each k - might become a standard thread feature image

Easy double for me today. First one went OK with no untoward pain. We'll see about the second shortly...nice evening for it anyway!

Best of British to the Berliners!!!!!!!! DBS!

• Options
    Yes good luck, here's hoping you don't hit the Berlin Wall.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    A shame about the 3000 Dachs. I've no doubt you'll get the sub 9 and really thought you'd crack it with needing a 70 last lap.

Good luck in the fell series Scott. Are they on consecutive days or spread out?

Massive good luck to PP and SC in Berlin too! Looking forward to the reports once the hangovers have disappeared!

Bit pissed off at the min as it's looking like I'm benched at the minute. Just back from a week in Menorco where the plan of lots of running was going great guns until Tuesday. Had a bit of a blow out Monday night watching football and a few too many beers so went to plod out a 10 miler on the coastal road on tues. Left leg was tight so I kept stretching it. All of a sudden the top of my right calf starts to tighten but still ok to get back. Just thought it needed a stretch.

Lots of stretching over the next few days and rolling a small ball in the calf but doesn't seem to have eased albeit it feels like it's right behind my knee. Been pretty much limping a few small digit runs since in the hope it'll ease but to no avail.

What I did notice was on Sundays 20 mile my right hamstring kept sort of buckling/giving way when I turned the same corner into a small incline on a loop I ran. Not sure if it's linked though but at the physio this afternoon. Dublin looking a big doubt at the min as I'm in Prague for 4 days from Friday which then leaves just 2 weeks until the race. I'm not interested in going out there to plod round a marathon so will fuck the whole thing off if I can't get a decent hard run in before Prague on Friday.
  • Options
    It's 11am / 3pm today with about 4km and then 12km

Tomorrow is 21km 10:30am.

Not sure in terms of ascent what is challenging. Probably nothing compares to up norfimage last year Andy greenleaf showed up so it's going to have a strong line up aswell

Matt I'm gutted for you but I cant help say when I look at Strava was the last time you had a rest day (no running) or cutback week? You've been running so well But also heavy volume, you are clearly super strong so maybe a few days completely off you'll be back into it
  • Options

There's a fair bit of ascent - starts at sea level and involves some darn big cliffs!

Ditto Scott Matt. Keep the faith and don't be too despondent just yet. Sounds like a tear so first thing is to keep icing it and stop running on it and stop aggravating it by foam rolling and stretching it for a day or two to give it a chance to start healing. Easy flat stuff and gentle stretches after then see what happens- but I would avoid what YOU would class as a hard run (just the thought scares the shit out of me!).

Given the miles you have put in a few days off will do far more good than harm at this stage. If you get itchy feet or are worried about putting on a couple of pounds, go for a bike ride...

If you did nothing but a few easy runs and bike rides between now and Dublin you would still do a cracking time - look at it as your body saying "I need a proper taper!"

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt, that's a real shame. My impression is that you've damaged the hamstring at the lower insertion point and a load of crap has gravitated down into your calf muscle where it's pooled up.

Loads of injuries are like that. We feel the problem in one place when the source is further up.

Only good thing about missing a marathon is that the training which went into it comes in very handy for lots of other races for months after.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I had a cut back week the other week Scott. 70 miles. image just running an easy 3-4 miles is a day off for me.

Bus I went on a spinning bike in the gym yesterday and lasted 10 mins. Bored out of my mind. Ha.

I've zero interest in running a marathon at 80%. I'd only be pissed off with a 'what could've been'. Still have 3 big sessions to do before the taper and if I can't get 2 of them in then In my eyes it's a pointless exercise.

RicF, fully agree with the point about the benefit of the training. I've done zero speedwork for a long while apart from the relays and still managed to run the 13th fastest leg In the northwest relays so not too down if the marathon has to be missed.
  • Options

How can you be bored on a spinning bike but not a treadmill Matt image Get out on an MTB - it's fun!

You wouldn't be running it at 80% though - that's the thing. Only three weeks to go, 3 big sessions is probably 1 or 2 too many at this point anyway. If the injury heals in the next week or so, then you'd still be running close to 100%...

At the end of the day though, it's a judgement call only you can make and you know what you are or aren't capable of better than anyone, but it ain't over 'til it's over (RIP YB...)

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Just over 4 weeks til the race Bus and I don't have a bike in any sort of fit state. Ill try a bit of XT at the gym in the meantime.

I missed this weeks session due to my calf so I still would've had another 2 to go before tapering. Im on a stag do to prague on Friday for 4 days and I'm currently half a stone over my usual weight. Odds are going against me at the minute. Haha.
  • Options

Yeah, but you're a fighter Matt!

• Options

Hi Folks, good to see the usual suspects lurking about here! image

As some may know I've got a broken foot at the moment having been stood on by a large drunken gentleman at the Leeds Festival. It's a month to the day since and have another 4 weeks until I can even attempt putting any force through it.

Shame, as I had run 17:24 in a 5K where it had been as part of a 65 miles week and had done 20 miles 4 days before. Was feeling very fit.

Hey ho, I'll be back and currently eating myself out of shape. My ribs have disappeared and having a poo makes me out of breath! Good times! image

Hope everyone is killing it and fit, I can't read the forum whilst I'm not running it just annoys me, as I want to get involved. 

Matt, hope it's not a full on tear as your were in horrendously good shape!

Having never been injured I'd urge you all to enjoy tomorrow's long run and try not to take it for granted! 

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

All sorted: fly into Boston Thursday at 3pm, hire car to Dedham, then there is a special T on game days that goes all the way to Gillette stadium for an 8:25 kick off. Next day drive onto New York. Thanks for the hint.

My pleasure.

Matt, I'd seen something on Strava. As most people have said, do some easy easy cycling, and if you MTB make sure it is easy and not proper hardcore stuff or you'll just end up injured more. image

A good point of view SS, and good luck to all racing tomorrow and well done to those who raced today.

Proper easy parkrun today as still recovering from last Sunday. Fun bike ride tomorrow then back to the grindstone Monday.

• Options

Matt, maybe some mental pool running?

Agree with others, you'll be close to 100% still if you miss a few sessions, surely few build ups are perfect. As long as its not serious?

Easy 10 today, may join IC on two wheels tomorrow.