Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, you bottler image

• Options

Blimey, busy day on here! Just time for a quick post, so hat's off to Philip and CC for the halves on pretty tricky days and to PP for another quality run and picking up an international medal. Dean - disaster!!!

• Options

Great running and racing all round on the weekend! 

Congrats to PP for international bling

SG, You are in great shape aerobically I feel.. You cant deny that. I've been steady / base running since September and don't go knocking out 12 miles at 7:00s day in day out. Hoping things work out. I feel if you're back operating without concern soon then perhaps a change of goal such as a marathon then coming back to a 10KM may help. You are not past any PBs I am certain! I said before there's plenty you could do to improve and that's not even involving running

Saw Bus had fun in Herbets hole too. Not really jealous there 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Still in my end of season hiatus.

Away last week with work. A tabloid headline could be: Helsinki Sicky follows Finland food poisoning! Once I managed to find some medication at the airport I was happy to sit on a plane for 3hrs. I thought I'd put on weight over the off season.

Good XCing guys, and other races. I may make it to Sandhurst XC to take some pictures or just heckle.

Can anyone think of a local half-mara in March or April that is not Woky or Reading?

• Options

Someone on here was recommending Fleet HM a while back, may have been Pete.

• Options

Bit of a random post but I posed on my thread my December plan aiming for a hopeful / potential 10KM PB assault early 2016 (Stubbington 10KM).. I know it's alot of forward planning but interesting to see what comes from it.. I've had 3 weeks of 2 sessions per week now and gradually finding my legs from a period of easy base running with no sessions for 3 months

Easy days will be anything from 4-8 running to c75% MHR.. Will try and get a mid week 10 miler in too. Long runs probably 14

/members/images/450355/Gallery/DECEMBER_0.png

IC don't know where exactly you are based..MK Half, Southampton, Eastbourne, Bath, Silverstone, Cardiff pop up on south running

I'm gutted to miss out on XC for yet another year! 

• Options

Berkhamsted Half 6th March if you like a hill Iron image. Paddock Wood in April is fast, though it's not really local! Sounds like some pretty unpleasant travelling image

SG - I agree with Scott. Obviously you need to find out what the problem is, but your training in times show you are still pretty fit!

Scott - loving the easy double planned for Christmas day image

Philip - is it this week you are off to India, or are you doing Sandhurst xc?

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Iron, as Andrew says I am a great fan of Fleet HM. It comes about a month after Woky so mid March when the weather is usually better and you have more time to train without enduring the worst of winter. Reasonably fast flattish course and my best times there are akin to Woky times. Sells out quickly though so book it soon if you fancy it (must do so myself!). I've done Bus's Berkhamstead too; not fun and failed to even break 1'30

• Options
    This year my Christmas Day will be wth Mia (my daughter!l) on Christmas Eve, so I'm actually doing bugger all that day! image

SG - you've mentioned Costacondrihtis (iphone poor spelling) - my brother had this although he didn't do any exercise he was given medication and did suffer with work for a long time! If this is the case no surprise you don't feel 100% but maybe re visit this with the doctor? Can only imagine running slowing any recovery down...
  • Options
    SG - actually just text my brother and he replied ----and he has said following

It was potent brother, had it for nearly a year, affected work for 9 months

Was told not to do any exercise, reach into cupboards or tie shoe laces

He then says he took dihydrocodene, diclofenic, amitryipltiline and Naproxen

With amitryipltiline being the best
  • Options
    He's added in when he went to AnE the symptoms were described and known in the unit as - same feeling / pain as a heart attack or like several people sitting on you at once.

Muscle relaxant drugs rather than painkillers

Hope any of that helps
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)image

Ric, you bottler image

It was close SG, but managed to rein that one back in.image image.

🙂

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Haha - it was duly noted...image

I've had enough of the bastard wind this year, so for once tried to avoid it as much as possible.  I'm not apologising to anyone image

• Options

Think I'll take a look at Fleet half. Wonder why I've never done so before?

I've only done Berko once for some reason. Quite enjoyed it, even though it snowed!

• Options

Talking of wind, bottled my double for today given the forecast for this evening as the route is largely in woods. Dark and mud is one thing, but not so keen on branches falling on my head image

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Off to India on Saturday 21st and back Saturday 28th so will miss Sandhurst and Handy Cross. I am back for HX but just don't fancy an XC inthe cold and mud after what will be a hard week travelling and training in about 30ºC.

That 14 we did together a week ago seemed to hit me hard. Spent all last week bimbling about at about 8 minute pace and never got a decent training run in. Did the half on Sunday, easy 5 on Monday and then did a wet and windy 10 miles today inside 7:30 pace.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Your international jet set lifestyle doesn't help at all Phil!

But I always feel you use wava as some kind of self fulfilling prophecy of what you're allowed to slow down by, when really you've got plenty left.

Scotty, kind words young son, appreciated as always. Reading that, and re-reading on the net about costochrondritis, two things are sure. 1) Your brother had a fairly severe case! and 2) It's one of those blanket terms for stuff they can't explain in that area.

Good news, whatever I have, is nowhere near as bad as your bro, and can at least see out nice weeks of runs

Bad news, ruck knows precisely what's going on, and it's 100% stalling any enjoyment from races, or chance to develop.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

Off to India on Saturday 21st and back Saturday 28th so will miss Sandhurst and Handy Cross. I am back for HX but just don't fancy an XC inthe cold and mud after what will be a hard week travelling and training in about 30ºC.

And about 4stone weight loss. I went to India with work for 2 weeks and spent one of them bedbound.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Jet set lifestyle. Crikey! I think the idea once appealed. Depends on the kudos and the money garnered I guess.

30 minutes to get to work was too much for me. Furthest I go now is four miles.

Anyhow. Running (sort of) The pain and discomfort has gone from around the knee along with the associated limp.

Cycling, leg extensions (weights) seem to work. Plus a few minutes of shuttle runs in the house. It will be a while before mileage is involved.

Off to New Zealand for a month on the 11th. Does that count as 'jet set'? or is that reserved for honest work as against loafing around?

🙂

• Options

Yeah he had a bad case SG but I still am concerned about you running without a complete diagnosis! I remember when I had CMV last year and was trying to run, my spleen and liver were so badly swollen and buggered (Didn't know until I had the ultrasound) but I still managed some runs, just delayed everything and took ages to get over it and then I couldn't run for 3 weeks anyway and had acute pancreatitis! Was silly to run without knowing what was going on

I think I'd quite like the travelling around the world to work to be honest!! 

Although I have images of James bond style action on the side which probably wouldn't happen. Ever

Had an interesting chat with a certain ex - international runner today. A few pointers and tips received :P 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

phil, looks like we will be in a relay, as you come home from india i fly out the following day to Chennai.

though last time i was there i put on weight image

• Options

Impressive Dean!

If I was had less home responsibilities then travelling around the world might be more fun. Unfortunately for me it is a case of get there and back as quick as possible. That said there are some locations that are better than others.

Often it is non-stop from the moment the alarm clock goes off until I get back to the UK. Travelling alone can be a little more relaxing.

Fleet half it is then!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Iron, I've also heard good things about the White Horse Half, not too far away and flat apparently.

• Options

Isn't a half White Horse just going to be a little pony?

8M mudfest this morning, with a bit of tree surgery to get through!

Decidedly heavy legs given two days off after Sunday's race, but OK after..

• Options

Travelling is getting a little easier as the kids grow up and leave home. I now have to be supportive round exam time (which is basically the whole of May and June) and home for the major festivals (Easter, Christmas and summer holidays) but other than that I am a bit more free to plan and travel as I want to.

This will be my first trip to India so any tips gladly taken. It is a simple exercise to get in, get round and get out. I have 3 offices in India and so it is in, day in an office, travel next day, day office, travel, office and home. I will try and squeeze some running in between but time is normally tight. The trouble is I spend 8 hours in an office and then get back to a hotel with internet and try and do my normal day job as well.

• Options

Dachs wrote (see)

Iron, I've also heard good things about the White Horse Half, not too far away and flat apparently.

*Flat. First half is downflat, second half is upflat. 75m loss/gain respectively.

Bus, stop acting the ass and shut your trap! Looks like a nice outing in the Shire.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Travelling is getting a little easier as the kids grow up and leave home. I now have to be supportive round exam time (which is basically the whole of May and June) and home for the major festivals (Easter, Christmas and summer holidays) but other than that I am a bit more free to plan and travel as I want to.

This will be my first trip to India so any tips gladly taken. It is a simple exercise to get in, get round and get out. I have 3 offices in India and so it is in, day in an office, travel next day, day office, travel, office and home. I will try and squeeze some running in between but time is normally tight. The trouble is I spend 8 hours in an office and then get back to a hotel with internet and try and do my normal day job as well.

Don't have ice in a drink, don't eat salad. Drink mostly beer. If you can be self sufficient for the whole trip you may survive. Take your own meds for diarrhoea.

Are you on anti-malarials already?

• Options

Charming! Anyway, I saw the RO for the White Horse half and he was getting cheesed off with the whole thing and looking really depressed  - I said "why the long face?"

I suspect Philip might be in a better class of hotel than you Iron image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Right, catch up done...

Simon – congrats on being the fastest old man on the mud in Old London Town.

Bus, sorry to hear that Herbert’s Hole was windy…  Good racing nonetheless.

AG, very well done on finally beating James, he’s been running pretty well over the last year or so, so a good marker.  I think I know who the ‘child’ was, he’s got an 8:51 3000m to his name, so not too shabby as kids go.

Good stuff at the cross country as well Pete

Never mind Dean, hopefully you’ve got all your bad luck out of the way in one race. 

Nice halfs in the wind PMJ and CC82, sounds like there’s a couple of minutes in those.

Congrats on your first bit of international action PP, and nice medalling work too.  Good to be so close to making the scoring positions on your debut.  Fantastic experience, I only hope I can be in the kind of shape to run that stuff when I hit the 40s in a couple of years.

As for me, work and home is a bit mental at the moment with a combination of big deadlines and trying to get my youngest's bedroom sorted out, but managed to quietly up my mileage back into the 70s on a regular basis.  12 with 10 @ MP on Monday (59:40), and my first 20 since early 2014 today - 7:04 pace in what can only be described as a stiff breeze.  Made the mistake of doing it along the Thames, which made the first westwards half a little tricky, particularly when I ran directly into it on the exposed meadows that make up part of the Reading parkrun course, whilst my feet were at the same time slipping on the mud.  Incredibly, those were two of the quickest miles of the run, must have been overcompensating.  No track tonight, as I have to go and give a talk for work.  Hopefully I will get some free food.

• Options

Good work Dachs - both for the 20 and the impressive 10 in 12!

Free food though? The cuts not hitting as hard there then image