Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

No retching yesterday - explains why Trevor beat me then image

If Trevor beat you and I beat Trevor in my armchair racing, then I must have beaten you as well. Mind you, I was in a car at the time driving to Cambridge.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

As it's a 4x4 you would have had a fighting chance, though I'm not sure it would have coped with the steps.....

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Changing tack does anyone pay heed to their Run Britain handicap?

I used to, but mine is going down fast at the moment (now 2.8) without me running any better, so their calculations look seriously flawed and the figure pretty irrelevant.

Run Britain seems to massively over-rate hard courses/conditions and assume all runners are giving 100% (not even true in proper races, as often used as warm-ups for bigger ones, but way off for parkruns which they also include!).  

• Options

mine is 2.6 apparently, I don't even understand it but I'd take that at golf.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

No.  It's pointless, completely subjective Garbage.

• Options

The only thing is does show really is consistency and who is racing underpar all the time..

I haven't raced for a long time or raced well due to various injury or stages of fitness.. So my handicap has gone up alot, it doesnt bother me as it'll come down, but then even then I don't know what is good, what or who I'd compare it too. I would use PO10 rankings for that. Bottom line I want to know the difference between 1st in UK and me

I could race tomorrow, run 30:00 for 10km and it wouldn't jump up that much unless I did it again and again through the next few months. 

I do take interest in looking at the top runners, the guys who are healthy and have been running for a good few years without major problems sidelining them they all seem to have a nice peak and dip in their graph. Showing when they peak basically and showing that even though very good, maintaining top shape through the year is also impossible..

I do reckon what it rates as my best ever race (IOW 3 hills) as my best race or on level with my 33:00 10KM. I had ran my 5 and then 10KM PB in the 3 weeks before hand then ran this

5m road tempo tonight 5:37 pace (28:08). Although opened on 5:23, 3 middle miles 5:41.. Looks ok for Chichester 10km...I have the rest of this week + 2  full weeks of training, then a taper week. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Run Britain, you really have to pile in the regular races if I remember correctly.

Moderately useful for checking if their take on conditions matches your own. Fairly aimless otherwise, and I don't like the way they give an overall ranking. How do you compare kids who have only done track to road only adults. Much prefer the rank per event of the PO10.

Scott, outstanding tempo job there. Is that what I would define "MP" or do you not get so bogged down in terms? It's just a small notch slower than my 5mile vintage pb at Marlow which was 5.33 when bang on it. 

Did a more humble MP tempo myself, but slightly tweaked the route. Added a couple of slight inclines in the first 2mile loop, but still got the slight descent. Never quite seem to trade off though do they.

Splits tell their own story of those!

6.12,6.11, 6.04,5.59,6.02,6.01

After mile 2 which should have had the beauty of the slight descent, I did wonder what was going on, with both miles missing slow end zone 6.10, but mile 3 re-assured and the rest was bang on at top end.

Feeling a bit better with these. Just need the mental "you are fine son" of these results  to come before attempting to pick things up. Have given myself the best chance to by keeping such a good consistent high base going.

• Options

Top sessions, Scott and SG. SG, what is the purpose of your MP pace, it appears more like low end Tempo/LT pace.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work SG. Blimey Scott - casual!

I never look at Run Britain anymore - as everyone says, you have to be racing weekly for it to make sense!

I haven't done any speed work for a while, so thought I'd ease myself back into it today with an easy 3 x 1M off 90 secs at just under HMP. Got a bit carried away! Second rep was slightly uphill, others slightly down - 5:45, 5:55, 5:38. Pretty happy with those as they didn't feel unduly hard - I was expecting to struggle to hit sub 6.

• Options
    Thanks guys!

Good work by yourself SG

Bus - those are good reps and nice quicker last one

At the moment SG my terms are set quite clearly to my HR I don't consider pace fill afterwards. Obviously a tempo run I do look at recent sessions to see where I "should be" but sometimes the body can only produce what it does on the day.

Recovery 60-70

Easy 70-80 (all of my non session running is done c75% - I've done upto 16 milers keeping HR at this level) keeping "long run" to 12 for now

Steady 80-85

Tempo 85-90

I have done a HM with more than 90% average so these perhaps need adjusting, I've done a handful of recovery paced runs and today I breached into 70 mins steady state but came in just under 80% I am also doing my long runs increasing the steady part each week. Started 8/3 (easy/steady) this week will be 7/5
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Scott Edgington wrote (see)

5m road tempo tonight 5:37 pace (28:08). Although opened on 5:23, 3 middle miles 5:41.. Looks ok for Chichester 10km...I have the rest of this week + 2  full weeks of training, then a taper week. 

we/ve been here before Scott!  great training... now get it done in a raceimage

• Options

Fast reps, Bus. Looks promising for Wokingham.

Think we are both on 1:18:46, any chance of a PB?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great tempo Scott, hold it together now!

Decent reps Bus, can we expect that 5:38 to be half marathon pace? image

Nice looking MP session too SG.

Runbritain - I'm on -1.1.  It always drops over winter as XC doesn't count towards it, so it peaked at -1.6 in September.  It does overrate hard courses, it also rewards those who do parkruns all the time (no names there of course...).

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I wish Dachs! I'd even be MORE than happy with the 5:55! My fastest marathon pace is 6 + 10/13ths of a second and that less than 10/13s will no doubt bug me forever now image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, nice 10k paced repsimage

That session is what Moz would have me do the week of a half marathon, ie light turnover. Although I'd have done it at actual half pace image

5x1mile off 1min. Now that's a session  for you! I don't fancy doing that any time soon! That's a peaking job. Got it out at 5.30 average once, with the 10k pb pace being5.33-5 I think.

AG, MP is a medium hard workout, that I'd do fairly often in the base period.

We'd start with steady and highest mileage, then it'd develop through MP sessions, then through MP/HMP intertwined, and then outright HM, perhaps split in 2x3, or 3x2mile segments. It's been the recipe for the sets of pbs I've done throughout this thread.

After all, the fast reps are lovely, but you need to be able to maintain a pace, and these sort of sessions are terrific (for me, but also seen through Skinny and Lit) for development.

When I was probably in my fittest period, I remember doing 2x3miles at "Tempo" pace (around 5 seconds quicker than HMP), and it feeling great. Gave huge confidence and lead to a mad burst of pbs over 6months,

Got a few days up north in 3 weeks. A conference in Manchester on a Thursday, 4th Feb and the boss has been a legend and pointed out the United game on the Tuesday, and he's wangled it so I can go up Tue, have the night there, go to one of our depot/other sites Wed, then join the main party doing the Wed stayover/Thur conference.

Might have to be a cut back week though! Well, unless there's any runs on offer from the northern crew on here on the Wednesday evening!
    (I'd have to tread carefully of whether it's doable disappearing from any work evening plans though image)

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

No retching yesterday - explains why Trevor beat me then image

If Trevor beat you and I beat Trevor in my armchair racing, then I must have beaten you as well. Mind you, I was in a car at the time driving to Cambridge.

This made me laugh. The permutations and possibilities for entertaining ourselves with running see no bounds. Completely beyond the understanding of non participants.

Just back in myself, from where they apparently have 'iggs' on toast for breakfast. Glad to be back. And I mean it!

Couple of things. Dean, Steve Ovett broke the 2 mile world record with exactly the same race/thought pattern. Really! he felt he was going to have to drop out around halfway (he hadn't trained for weeks after the Olympics apparently) but felt better as he went along.

Bus, possibly save that pace for a race? We've talking 35:50 average for a 10k at those rates. Of course SG noted this 'HM pace' anomaly. Well spotted.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome back to good old Blighty Ric!

SG - I like that 3x2M sesh you suggested for HM training - only ever done it a few times, but one to do in the next few weeks I think.

As I say, I kind of got carried away with the pace today, especially with the last one image

Happy enough to have done it though, provided all the aches and niggles behave themselves! This is where Strava is useful though as the last mile coincides with a segment I have done many, many times, and mostly as a mile effort or part of a tempo. As it turns out today was my fastest ever, so a nice boost at a time when I've convinced myself I'm getting slow with age! Still only puts me in 2nd overall though - Ian Kimpton has jogged that way before image

Nice easy paced 4M with the work "Jogging Club" tonight not sure of the time as I left the GPS behind - something over 9mM I'd guess, on a dead flat route. Made for a good recovery and pleasant chat in company. Mud tomorrow!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I bet you felt like a don in that company!  I might start a "jogging" club at work in the summer and pick the invited cast carefully, like the days I "coached" the girl's footy team. Although I'm such a diligent worker I made it all about the actual coaching, and forgot it might be a good avenue for sharking,

You strava bumheads. I'm gonna look this nonsense up and take all you and Phil's records off you.

Phil, that 1.73miler from Low Ballz Lane to Cockfuddler walk is mission 1. 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You're welcome to try SG image

The Strava segment challenges are just a bit of fun, but as it happens, very useful for comparing your own efforts over time. Over 40 plus times done on today's, all analysed and summarised with no effort from me.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps - yes, the jogging club is good fun, and there is always a nice view just ahead if I run easy paced image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You dirty bastards.

Ric, we used to have a lot of Kiwis working on temporary contracts in our office. It was always enjoyable when they were dealing with planning permission enquiries, and you could hear one call across the office that "there's a guy on the phone who wants some dicking in his garden".

13 with 10 at marathon pace tonight. 10 done in 58:19. Bit wet and windy. Again.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Yeah that's impressive Dachs! Ran at lunchtime today instead of a wet and windy with bus home training at LUton. So did the 6 x 1k (or just under) in Regent's Park. It's half slightly down then turn back up the main drag. Started on 3.12 and managed to get the last one under 3- can't remember doing that for quite a while.

Footie a damp squib tonight. Summer nights are so much less stressful!!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Runbritain - I'm on -1.1.  It always drops over winter as XC doesn't count towards it, so it peaked at -1.6 in September.  It does overrate hard courses, it also rewards those who do parkruns all the time (no names there of course...).

That was the original point though Dachs, no point having a system at all if it rewards you just for running a regular parkun and gives you lots of credit just for bothering to try in conditions when the joggers can't be arsed to! 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Nice training Dachs, Simon, SG and bus.  Some fast stuff going on.

Dachs wrote (see)

Runbritain - I'm on -1.1.  It always drops over winter as XC doesn't count towards it, so it peaked at -1.6 in September.  ...).

Slacker! image Just checked mine for the first time in about a yr.  I'm on -1.6 and had a high of -2.7 in the summer.  Still think it's a crap stat though!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I never got my rankings on RB below 2.3. It's around 7 now; or was the last time I bothered to look which clearly I haven't done just now. It's a bit like the weighing scales in the house. I've no idea; well some, what the 'damage' is. I'd rather not know sometimes.

Dachs, yes the NZ accent. It's something about the way some vowels are pronounced. My observations indicate that 'I' is used instead of 'E', and 'E' is used instead of 'A'.

Slightly more complicated with 'O' and 'U', but there's something there. Try a sentence such as "Yesterday we had eggs on toast for breakfast", roughly translated into Kiwi as "Yistadee wi hed iggs on toast for brickfest".

My wife discovered my research on this matter written down in a Sodoku book (I know! I was so desperate for the internet that I bought my mother in law a laptop and sorted out the broadband for her as a Christmas present -she can use it now I've gone away).

Yes I'm glad to be back.

And so is she.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

And if they have six eggs on toast??

Legs like lead in the mud this morning! Unfortunately I now have to do it all over again in reverse - wouldn't mind, but one of my guys had to be D&A tested at work so I've had to wait for the tester and will inevitably be running in the rain later now! Grrr....

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not sure if the vowels swop back 'Bus', though it's safe to say, this morning in the mud, you had, 'ligs like lid', and now have to 'weight for the tister'.

Went out myself earlier on, and to start with, also had, ligs like lid. Loosened up fairly well. It's helps that on this occasion (long haul flight) my legs haven't swelled up. Usually I resemble the 'Elephant Man' (legs only obviously) after a trip to NZ.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great going there Dachs. Are you following P and D?

Nice reps Simon! I'm thinking of going to the track tomorrow to maybe do some 400s to try and get some speed back in my legs. I've not done a track session since last April if I remember rightly. Hoping to get my legs used to moving a bit quicker as I must have the best fitness base on the planet with the amount of easy/ steady running I've done over the last 8 months!image

Hopefully in a couple of weeks ill start building towards Salford which is on Good Friday.
  • Options

Yeah get some proper stuff done! Great to top off some solid base with sharper stuff, should work. I'm sort of coming down the distances now. Berlin was my last Marathon (of 2 completed!) and Cardiff might be my last half in March. Got a 30k race next month at Stamford, but that's just as my mate from Uni persuaded me to do it.

Then it's looking towards the road relays and the Highgate 10,000m, then proper track stuff. the longer stuff should help with the 1500/3000 stuff, I felt the Berlin long training runs made me stronger last summer. We'll see.

Weather looks great for xc at the weekend. Cold and sunny. Perfect.