Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Matt - your shit performance would be pretty bloody sharp for me...

Dean - your reps scare the shit out of me!

SG - big week that.  And with a couple of sessions - looking up all the time image

Nice Parkrunning Pete and duathloning IC.

It's VLM week!  Good luck Phil (anyone else on here doing it?).

50 mile week for me after missing my planned 5-6 miler Saturday but getting 12 in yesterday.  Nice hilly route, loads of bloody wind so pleased with the pace at 7:21s average.

Really slow recovery run this morning as I went round the local woods, which is always a mudfest and some (at least) ankle deep water in bits which mean a few double backs as there are some places without defined trails - there's always a bit of guess work involved re: the route in the first bit.  Slower than 9s on average!

Going to have a bash at a 3,000m open race on Wednesday night which I only just heard was happening.  Shortest race I've ever done.  I think it will hurt.

• Options

Hi All

Echo the above - Good stuff from the Cortina there and a Parkrun from Pete..I've actually done the Bushy one in 2007 when it was the only one going - got up well early for that, sounds ridiculous now. Would have to place Poole in the fastest ones the country too, although there is a a lot of human traffic to negotiate.

Good going SG, getting better all the time, Dean looking menacing now with those reps.

ML84 - those relay descriptions could only be the long leg at Sutton Pk!! It's bloody horrible - basically to road relays what the Southern at Parly Hill is to XC. Its sort of anti Berlin where the tarmac seems to suck all the life out of you, although doing a mile of climbing at the start doesn't help. So being on 1st leg I looked behind and there wasn't much there after the first mile. Knowing that the wind and better half of the course will be favourable in the 2nd half, I had to try to hold it together until the turnaround at the end of the park. Jubillee stone is the bit Matt mentioned where the short leg runners join in you go downhill, then its a couple of rises again and onto the final hill.

So a 'feeling slightly better' kind of race and I ended up with 28.57, which I am pretty happy with and should equate to squeezing under 34 for 10k we think ~(around an extra 4 mins). As training has been patchy, hopefully that's the corner turned.

Obligatory few pints by the station after with the Herne Hill and PP and the Kent lot and a slightly messy train journey back with the Kent boys too, also discussing footie with an endless supply of Watford fans coming back from WBA. Good day out all in all..

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Some action, seems a while since we had some races here. Well done on the PR PB Pete.

Solid week there SG, you must be gaining in confidence.

Good efforts from SC & ML there too.

Cortina - looks like the rebranding has helped. All those controlled bike rides seem to be doing the trick. I admire your patience. Hopefully post London I will get down to a few TT's.

Week 1 of the London Marathon taper last week and I think it's fair to say I've taken an unconventional approach. Three days of cycling in the Yorkshire Dales. It's all pretty lumpy. About 5000m metres and 130 odd miles hopefully hasn't done too much damage. The plan was to take it easy and not get competitive on the climbs but it all went out the window after the first day image.

Managed to get one run in whilst I was there, I didn't know where I was going and I ended up running up Park Rash, it was about 300 metres elevation in 2.6 miles. The incline was so steep I had to walk some of the downhills so I didn't trash my quads.

20 miles for the week and 8 recovery miles today. I will just do 2 or 3 easy short runs this week I expect and then just hope for the best.

• Options

Good stuff Reg - what vest and time are we going for on Sunday, I need to know for cheering. I'll be at 13/14 and 21.

I know Dachs' colours...anyone else running it?

• Options

Cheers guys.

Dean - how does Daniels cruise intervals vary from McMillans cruises - much of a muchness?
    A tough day n the office Matt. Good effort though.
    Good luck with the 3000 CC, and it'll be interesting to see that translate to a speedy 10k Simon.

Reg - it's all about the patience. Lay down some good base then do the hard stuff hard and the easy stuff easy.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I must admit, that Cortina login gave me a shock for a second, being one letter off a girlfriend's name form 10 years ago! This would be a hell of a random place too pop up.

CC,the disadvantage that those of us who didn't start on short track races have, is that we don't have the experience of the sheer level of discomfort that you need to tap into to maximise your race.

I've done 3 3ks and I don't think i've raced one of them that well. The second one at least I finished with a huge last 150metres, but I guess I wasn't maximising mid race.
    My first one, i finished in 9.46 feeling like i'd barely run, the second one, due mostly to an outrageous last sprint, was only 9.44 yet took about 10mins lying down to recover from. Was certain there was better in me, but clearly I was on the threshold of virus when I did number 3, just 10days before the now legendary half marathon finish line collapse!

Simon, your patchy is still a great level! Am sure you can fairly quickly tidy yourself up into top form.
    And Reg, i think you'll do just fine at London. You're the man who turned up with a cigar on and cruised sub 3, so better than that easily i'd say.

Repeated last week's 6m MP, but this time 36.03 for the 6, rather than 6.05 average. Clearly there's always slightly different factors with traffic etc, but felt smoother, and I feel that Dachs was correct saying try some faster work, as well as confidence and health improving.

I've always believed the body will let you know when it's time to up the ante, and it must be as frustrating for you lot reading my seemingly stalled efforts each week, as it is for me living it. But we're definitely getting there.

Still not 100%, but i don't need to be 100% to race again, I just need to see a point to it, and 2-3 weeks like last week I think and it'll be time to do a parkrun....

Still wonder about making it an event...would anyone come along if i advertised a certain date a few weeks ahead? Or is it a silly idea?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Glad to see you are coming round to our way of thinking SG image. If we get a dry patch, I'd join you for a Rye parkrun or are you thinking of further afield?

Sounds good to me Simon!

Reg - I did question your sanity somewhat seeing those rides on Strava, but you seem to thrive on such madness so Sunday will be fine image

Good luck tomorrow CC!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Cheers folks.

I totally forgot Dachs was VLMing!  Not sure how...  Good luck Dachs and also to Reg.

SG - that's the thing I'm worried about.  I think I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to really pushing myself in races.  I know guys who will work so hard that they're puking a few seconds after crossing the line.  I generally have no interest in getting to that stage, but I've never even been close.  Will see how hard I'm able to push myself on the 3,000m.  Gold standard for the club is 10:06, which I'd be delighted with to be honest but then if I get that, I'd probably be disappointed not to go sub 10...  I just don't know how I'll cope with running 1:20 laps repeatedly.  I can certainly live with that pace and a bit quicker but stringing them together for 7.5 laps - no idea...!!

For the Parkrun return - Ellon Parkrun on 7th May and I'll be thereimage  Or if that's too far to travel, I could meet you "halfway" in Aberdeen.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well i was thinking it about seemingly ages ago, but a mere cold took it off kilter.

Has to be the local one...it's baby steps. Get a few more sessions done, then the local parkrun etc, and work from there.

Hopefully a bit more time and can properly start picking races again, but very easy to look too far ahead.

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Forgot to say - SG - 6 @ 6/mm is looking strong image

• Options

The only 3000m I have done is the Green Park Challenge which I PB'd this year with a 17:58. To be fair I was paced by my son image

Happy to wander to the Rye to support you SG, but I'm in Copenhagen on the 7th with a choice of 3 parkruns within 7km radius. Like a dream for Pete!
    To be honest with a 36:XX on a training run why don't you get a late entry to Shinfield 10, or the local (new) Binfield 10km - very likely to be a pot hunt.

• Options

Good luck CC - I presume this is at Watford? weather not too bad, although the obligatory breeze will start i'm sure!

SG - Good planning, softly softly etc..

Planning some short stuff at 5pm, brought the flats to work even..perhaps time for some Regents pk action image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Steady Iron, let's not get carried away with pot hunt talk, going of my last 9months form I have one collapse at the end of my slowest half marathon for 5 years, and erm, nothing else

Will consider making it a proper event. Will see if there's a particular day that looks sensible. Getting up early on a saturday is such a bind, but having an "event" feel would help,

CC, thanks for the willing, easy to forget we're not all local on here image

Have a good smash fest Simon.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Good luck CC - I presume this is at Watford?

Stevie G wrote (see)

CC, thanks for the willing, easy to forget we're not all local on here image

Sounds like a long way to go to run 3000m... I'd have guessed Aberdeen. image Though the 'breeze' is probably even more obligatory there.

• Options
    PeteM wrote (see)

Phil, how do you check WAVA history on po10 please?

Just go to po10 and there is a drop down for view by and you can sort on age graded.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Thanks Philip; don't know how I never spotted that. Saw I've just gone past the 50 for over 80%'s but its much easier when your an old codger who racks most of them up through parkruns!

How about Maidenhead for the thread meet for SG's return? Much nicer course than the Rye, more central for all the Berkshire forum boys and a nice base (the Wetherspoon right by the car park) for a coffee and chat afterwards (it being a bit early for a beer)? 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice idea Pete, but i defo need the first one to the local one...just to be sure!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good 6m sg

pmj.  Never noticed that function on pof10 before.  image I think it highlights my bias.  highest 15 wava all on the track.  Then my best 2 road are 15.35 5k and 32.13. 10k at 16th and 17th.   I'm surprised my 5k from 3yrs ago is wava better than the 10k from December when I'm much older.  Also nice to have a few over 90% and a cluster in the 89%.   

• Options

My best WAVA used to be about 83% at Cabbage Patch 10 but the new tables seem to have degraded that to 80.1% and leave me with just that and a couple of sub 18 minute 5ks above it marginally above 80%.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My best WAVAs are all 5ks and 3000s. I must have more speed than I realised.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I just looked at the Wava stuff. Load of crap if you ask me. My highest is 79.2 for a 17:11 Parkrun, equivalent marathon is 2:38.

I know which is easier!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Maybe for yourself, Red Wang, but it reflects the fact that many old chaps like you can still run well at the marathon but struggle at the shorter distances.

I discovered my top WAVA is 84.96, which has given me a whole new thing to be annoyed about.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I still think it's biased in favour of shorter distances. I'm objectively quite shit at 5ks, but they still give me the best WAVA. Though perhaps that reflects the fact that all women in their thirties are also shit at 5ks?

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I still think it's biased in favour of shorter distances. I'm objectively quite shit at 5ks, but they still give me the best WAVA. Though perhaps that reflects the fact that all women in their thirties are also shit at 5ks?

Isn't it something to do with the World Records for the ages being typically flat until they start to trend upwards from age 40?

My best is 69.56%.

Easy 12mi this morning. Up to 10 is bread and butter but it gets a bit grim beyond that point. Glad to get home and have some breakfast.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

My best is 80.88%, for a  17:50 5k last year. Had no idea that was my best ever performance image. Smattering of 79%s but no other 80s, which there used to be. presumably this is because old blokes have started getting faster generally recently!  Interestingly, my marathon PB is actually in the bottom 6 of my lowest WAVA scores for a road distance!

What is very scary though, is how a significantly slower time gets the same WAVA for just being a year or two older - I do hope I'm not fading as quickly as that suggests I should be!

Over 90% is very impressive Dean, but then your times are impressive anyway even without WAVA!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Bus, you're right,  if you can hold your times for just a few years you'll shoot well into the 80's regularly. Looking at mine I have identical times from a couple of weeks ago and April 2012 and the WAVA on the former is 2.5% higher in just 4 years.

I think overall WAVA are a very good reflection and certainly far better than the unfathomable Run Britain handicap. Obviously WAVA takes now account of course or conditions but that is all subjective anyway. Where you feel you're best, for example Lit at Marathons, is probably just a function of women generally being relatively better at longer distances and the WAVA system being gender specific. 

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

My best WAVA is about 73% for a 17:58 Parkrun (aged 33).  A couple of others in the 70s but my 3:03 marathon got me 66%.  That just feels wrong.  The 17:58 Parkrun took nowhere near as much work as the 3:03 marathon!

And my race tonight is in Aberdeen, not Watford!!

• Options

Sorry CC82 - Didn't realise you were up there, although should have twigged with the Scottish references through the thread, have a good one!

Did a warm up and 8 fast laps of our little park by work with 60 secs recovery. Decent little loop, times starting at 74 and ending with 69, so looks about 400m roughly and a greay option if the park not too crowded.

Like that PO10 age graded thingey - my southern relay leg from Oct14 is the only one that gets me in the 90's at 90.49. The sub 4.10 1500's at Tonbridge and Bromley and the 8.53 at Watford got me 89. Presuming Dean's will be pretty high! The are definitely loaded toward shorter stuff tho.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I just looked at the Wava stuff. Load of crap if you ask me. My highest is 79.2 for a 17:11 Parkrun, equivalent marathon is 2:38.

I know which is easier!

Most out of balance combo, since the days where PO10 set times for you to even get into the rankings, and it set a 16.45 5k, and a 3hour marathon!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I know which is easier!

Most out of balance combo, since the days where PO10 set times for you to even get into the rankings, and it set a 16.45 5k, and a 3hour marathon!

Jesus!!  It's something like 19.00 5k now isn't it?  I remember being most put out at not getting into the rankings for the first time with my 39:44 10,000m in 2014 because road 10k is sub 40, but track 10k is 36:xx I think!  I had to wait until I recorded an 18:32 parkrun a few months later to get in.

EDIT:  Just looked up the criteria.  An 18:32 parkrun wouldn't get me in.  It's 16:45 for 5,000m, 18:00 for Parkrun and 19:00 for 5k.  My 18:52 5k time from Summer 2014 must have been my first ranked performance.

It's a bit bonkers:

3,000m = 9:30

5,000m = 16:45 / 5k 19:00

10,000m = 36:00 / 10k = 40:00

I know track is deemed easier but there's no way a 40 minute 10k equates to a 36 minute 10,000m!!  Not even close.  I took 20 seconds out of my 10k time when I did it on the track for the first time...