Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(obviously cool down, stretches after)

1hour ish all in...

Cooper Test is more for "experienced athletes" I think, but still might be worth it, unless they've had enough by then

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Presumably coach buys 'em all a beer afterimage

Come on AG, where's that report? You've got some glory to bask in you know!

• Options
    Sounds a bit complicated SG. Start with a general jog warm up where they should be chatting and discussing Tv or the weekend. If they can't talk it is too Lacey. Then do some dynamic stuff like playing North South East West type thing.

Parluf type thing is always a good as you can pair up the faster ones with slower ones and keep everyone interested. Relays are also a good way of introducing speed work without it being obvious.

Leg flicks/ butt kicks are very 80s. Heel raises promote better technique. Is leave the Cooper test for some time until you know they won't break.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Cortina5 wrote (see)
    Parluf type thing is always a good as you can pair up the faster ones with slower ones and keep everyone interested.

I wouldn't do that - the slow ones would get far less recovery than the fast ones, but they'd need more. Better to be with someone a similar pace.

• Options
    If they both start at the half way line on a football pitch and run away until they meet each other then it works out very well. Both get the same time but slower one gets less distance. Recovery time is jog back for both. Same recovery time for both.

Thanks what I understand as parluf.
  • Options

Dachs, sometimes closing you eyes doesn't make the pain go away.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/meandmyshadow/26015873133/sizes/l

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1583/26015873133_de2196d1b2_b.jpg

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh, I was thinking of Paarlauf, which is probably completely different. image The way I've done it in the past is runner 1 runs 200m round a track, runner 2 then runs the other 200m while runner 1 jogs across the middle to meet them, and they alternate.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I'd bet Phil/Lit's stalking fame on it. (I bet between them, within hours of getting home, they'd already stalked out times of at least 50 people between them image).

Sod that, I didn't get home till about 10pm. And most of the times i cared about (i.e. people I know and like) were on here or facebook anyway.

• Options
    Paarlauf parluf whatever. Different ways of doing similar things.

Well done for London btw.
  • Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I'd bet Phil/Lit's stalking fame on it. (I bet between them, within hours of getting home, they'd already stalked out times of at least 50 people between them image)

Not working today. Trawling flickr for photos of me to save £60 on marathonfoto and can find everyone but me.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you haven't done Paarlauf before Iron! Teaming quicker n slower up is a sure fire way to ruck up both image

If you do what you suggested, you could end up with one runner getting about 20metres of rep, and the other covering a sh!tload, and then taking ages to get the next rep going.... similar ability gives same rep to recovery, that's what you want.

Take your point on the Cooper though, but I wanted some sort of measurable over weeks thing. But maybe that's too serious for the level involved. May find time runs out before it anyway

Not sure what you mean by heel raises though? Do you mean standing on stairs as if stretching the Achilles? Or are you suggesting a slight variant of the butt kicks?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

I'd bet Phil/Lit's stalking fame on it. (I bet between them, within hours of getting home, they'd already stalked out times of at least 50 people between them image)

Not working today. Trawling flickr for photos of me to save £60 on marathonfoto and can find everyone but me.

were you really there? Or did you get someone similar looking to run it for you?

I've heard there's some right blaggers out there image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

We still do butt kicks, high knees etc. as part of our warm-up, but then again we also do hopscotch, which I remember playing in the 1980s, so the whole thing may be a bit retro. SG - one of the JogScotland groups near me which is for mostly non-serious runners of various abilities has a time trial route that they do from time to time which is about 2 miles I think or maybe less; that'd be a simple enough way to see progress over time.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Oh, I was thinking of Paarlauf, which is probably completely different. image The way I've done it in the past is runner 1 runs 200m round a track, runner 2 then runs the other 200m while runner 1 jogs across the middle to meet them, and they alternate.

Any other little bits you do in your group sessions that might work?

The nearest to Iron's suggestion that I had thought about was some epic field length job, all in order of speed, everyone sets off at the same time, and all should end at the same time. Motivation comes from beating those in front...probably super awkward to plan out well though.

And I'd probably not resist starting right at the back and trying to get involved, when this shouldn't really be something I partake in too much.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

We still do butt kicks, high knees etc. as part of our warm-up, but then again we also do hopscotch, which I remember playing in the 1980s, so the whole thing may be a bit retro. SG - one of the JogScotland groups near me which is for mostly non-serious runners of various abilities has a time trial route that they do from time to time which is about 2 miles I think or maybe less; that'd be a simple enough way to see progress over time.

Yep, that might be a better bet than the Cooper. Maybe not 2miles though, maybe even just 1km by virtue of that being the length of the park. Hopefully there's not much else going on at that time so we have free run.

I suppose the only benefit of Cooper or something, is everyone's in the same grid, and no one is going to get demoralised at being miles behind everyone over a 1k field. Although it's also a risk getting lapped a tonneload isn't great either!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Dachs, sometimes closing you eyes doesn't make the pain go away.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/meandmyshadow/26015873133/sizes/l

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1583/26015873133_de2196d1b2_b.jpg

Handsome as Adonis himself, and super fast, it's hard not to be jealous of yonder Dachs.

• Options
    Great stuff Dachs, join me in the never again, keeping to shorter stuff gang! Good stuff from AG, Phil, reg and bus. Oh tall Elsa was Sean from my club...did 2.39 and a world record!

Watched at mile 6, then walked under the foot tunnel and walked up to near Canary Wharf. Bloody cold, but pub was warm after! Was in Red Lion about 2.30 for a quick loosener first, then to the LBAC haunt and the HHH haunt. 7 pints and a kebab on the way home. Love marathon day! (Planned day off today!!)
  • Options
    Ric don't be silly now! If I am running you can! Although I'm waiting what my body will do next!!

As for the marathons on the weekend fantastic! Great quality running all round and Dachs you should be very happy with that based on what you were feeling, equally Lit ok the sub 3, AG very nice - PMJ wow 5grand super stuff

Matt, decent session a good you changed it, 3 weeks or so of faster stuff and I'm 1000% you could run 5 X 1 mile at 5:08s off 60s..

3 miles today. 8 weeks post surgery Wednesday
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Ah the report, I nearly forgot. I have done one on the P&D thread so I'll try to vary it a little.

So the context I have been trying to follow the P&D 55-70 mile 18 week plan at times successfully. The first 5 weeks were a bit sketchy due to injuries and the last 5 weeks were also not great thanks to the killer virus and a couple of niggles. In between however I had a pretty decent 8 weeks. Overall I averaged 45 miles per week. Not great but I did manage most of the long runs.

Race day comes and I am still coughing  occasionally and very much still ejecting regular sputum missiles, especially when riding my bike! The good news is my heart rate is back to normal. I just felt I had lost focus and interest a little bit andI think that commitment was ultimately my undoing.

I arrived to the start in good time but following a rather lengthy stay in the portaloo I kind of lost track of time. Believe it or not I was still debating my shoe choice whilst sat in the aforementioned stench ridden tardis.

I decided to multitask and switch the chip over whilst still on the bog but realised whilst rummaging through my bag that I had not brought my kitbag. Anyway chaos ensued and I ran around getting a bag to put my stuff and by the time I was ready to go I was last to go.

It was over a minute before I got moving and I seemed to be stuck behind the entire field. I really wanted to get moving but I had no choice but to wait for gaps to open up. I made a few moves onto the pavement but I didn't want to waste too much energy. 

0-5km 19:57

As soon as the first 5km came up the starts merged and suddenly there were more bloody runners. To be honest there wasn't much difference in the net 5km. I felt very comfortable and kind of switched off a bit. If I am honest I think I was being a bit of a chicken. I did have some fun at the water station though, some strange woman squirted me with a water bottle. Unfortunately for her I had a bottle in my hand. Without really thinking I just threw the half drunk bottle at her out the back of my hand. Bullseye!  

From then on I indulged myself in a game of bung the buxton bottle in the bin. Boom! Three points right there baby, and again and again. In total I nailed 3 out of 4 three pointers. Jordan in his prime would have struggled to match such feats.

Anyway back to the running.

5-10km 19:43

I was still pretty comfortable and spotting quite a few people. My only concern is that I was too easy, too relaxed and worried whether it was already too late for me to up the pace. I just got comfy. In truth I was worried about things unravelling and without a fixed target I found myself just running to feel.

10-15km 19:56

Next 5km led us up to Tower Bridge and I saw my wife for the first time, how I heard her in that cacophony of noise I will never know. Perhaps because she can be very loud? Anyway I had to turn to see her and in doing so almost tripped the guy in front of me. I managed to grab his arm to steady him.

15-20km 19:57

The Garmin was drifting so I only had a rough idea of pace. Halfway on 1:23:55 but at the time I thought it was 1:24:xx as I missed the sign for halfway. I thought about picking it up at this point but I remembered all the advice of leaving it to the last 6 miles so I just carried on. I was kind of enjoying myself, it would be a shame to ruin it by making the while thing painful!

I'll fast forward through the next bit..

20-25km 19:54

25-30km 20:07

I think this was a slower part of the course.

30-35km 20:21

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

By this point I'd made my bed. I knew 2:45 was not possible and that 2:50 was in the bag. I wasn't too bothered where I landed in between and I guessed it would be 2:48:xx.

35-40km 19:58

I felt a bit of a strain in my calf with 3 miles to go, by this point I was running with a fellow P&D threadster and he told me just to relax and ignore, which I did. I really enjoyed the last few miles. I was passing a lot of people, I even saw a young Reading AC star presumably having a bad day coming back to me quickly.

40-Finish 8:45 (3:59 pace) You'll have to excuse the metric splits but Cortina will enjoy them.

Tried my best to soak up the atmosphere and take it all in at the finish. Finishing time of 2:48:38 was probably the 'B' target. Given the build up I should be happy with it and I think I am. I could have gone faster on the day, I am sure of that. Could I have run sub 2:45? I am not certain but I could have got close for sure.

It was the easiest marathon I have done, easier than the 2:59 at MK. Once I stopped though I knew I'd done a marathon. My legs are quite sore especially the calves. That may be in large part due to me taking Matt's advice and running in the DS Racers! It was the right decision though.

• Options

AG, good run and report. A 10 minute PB is a nice thing to bag: hard part for you will be if you decide to do another one as you have hardened that PB up a lot but I reckon there is some soggy bits left, but are they enough for sub 2:45 or not?

A lot is said about negative splits but in my opinion the way you and Dachs ran is more realistic: go out at, give it some, and hold on. Just checked the top 1000 runners in the mass start, 152 have negative splits, 64 of those are more than a minute. The vast majority, 848, have positive splits.

One odd guy ran 1:27 followed by 1:17, next best is 5 minute -ve split.

The reverse is ugly, biggest +ve split 1:13, 1:33. 212 runners in the top 1000 has +ve splits bigger than 5 minutes.

Got to hand it to Nigel Rackham: first V50 home in 2:32:41 and 1:16:20 and 1:16:21.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Let himself go with tat 1 sec -ve split then image

Have you been a bit bored since Sunday Philip???

Good report AG - what Philip says! Bloody well done though.....

8 miles xc this morning on a sunny February morning (bar the Bluebells!)

• Options

Great report Reg...sounded good fun too in parts!

I guy I know from MK Redway did 2.32 with both halfs 1.16. It's what you should do in a marathon I feel, as it's not really a race for us mere mortals..it's spreading an effort out over the distance.

Nice and crisp today - had the leggings on again..surely for the last time this winter? Will do some short stuff, minute efforts or something similar later. Brought the flats to work..

**clobber alert - Start Fitness are doing half price Boost again if anyone interested - just picked up some Glide Boost for £52 down from £104.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

AG, excellent report and a very well executed race.  You may have had a little more in the tank, but I'm sure you've got faster marathons to come anyway, so not worth getting hung up on.  At least you experienced the joy of being able to finish a marathon strongly, something I've yet to encounter.  Plus, the recovery period may well be shorter as a result.

PMJ, good marathon performance from you as always, and some typical stats analysis to boot. 

Bus, nice trophy collecting there.  I suspect I know who that must have been - yes, I didn't want to be the guy who went around afterwards saying "it was only part of a long run" to all and sundry (apart from you lot on here), so that may have come as a surprise.  He's improving though, and will no doubt put me under pressure soon enough.

Ric, hope you win the battle with your rebellious body.

Lit, another top quality marathon.  Sub 3 is just a stroll in the park these days, isn't it?

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Yes great runs by all in the VLM and the reports are a much better and real read than anything the press ever comes out withimage Massive admiration for all 4 of you each with exceptional times.

I've always thought the best approach is to go for a level split and if it ends up a bit positive at least you've given it a full go. Always was wary of non super elites bragging of negative splits so glad to see some support for that view on here.   

Looking on here and talking to several club-mates last night at our post marathon drinks celebration (who I beat at most distances but who all now have a better marathon pb than my mediocre 3'17) makes me wonder whether to have another (and final!) go at it. Then again PMJ probably adds the necessary realism that a) it is a massive and long effort to prepare and b) no guarantee of getting your goal or even a second level one.  

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Another sub 3 Lit - well done!  I'm getting that niggling feeling back that I should go and put the sub 3 to bed next  year, but I'm just not going to entertain a marathon again for a while.  I'd decided that months ago.  Then my wife just dropped into conversation casually that I was doing London marathon next year.  Oh, am I?  News to me.  As far as I was aware, she couldn't be f***ed with my running most of the time, let along embarking on a marathon campaign with a toddler and baby in the household...  She'd got it into her head that I would be using the GFA time from last year (not at Manchesterimage) to run London next year. BUT - I'm not going to give into the temptation.  I don't think...

AG - awesome run - that sounds like the best type of marathon! image

Just over 8 miles for me - 2 miles on the path to the woods/trails, bit of climbing, snowfest, then 2 miles back.  Managed a spectacular face plant in a field.  I'd taken about 3 wrong turns and realised I was going to be way over my intended 8 miles unless I shortcut through field.  Jumped a small wall, and then tripped on an invisible stone, hidden by the snow.  Fell in slow motion.  Great stuff.  I probably got seen by the 100s of cars passing by the field too. image  Nice average pace of 7:35s, which is way quicker than the last time I ran round those woods a few weeks ago.

• Options

CC82, snow, April, almost May! Move down south.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

snow forecast in the midlands and east today

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

snow forecast in the midlands and east today

Like I said, move down south

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All very nicely done AG. Probably that perfect scenario where you knew you could smash your pb, but still have what sounded like a very comfy turnout. Sounds like instead of traffic negatively affecting your race it was actually perfect to make sure you didn't monster off. Miles under 3hours now, 2.48 sounds very tasty. And why wouldn't 2.45 be doable, has to be easier than a 1.15 half!

For me, having done 2 weeks of 6 m MP, and 12x200s, it was time to mix things up. 

Therefore, I decided on a vague 4x1mile off 90secs, starting at MP, and trying to do each mile faster. So no real expectations.

Was delighted to see it come off

Did it in a cross town rampage rather than the track too, so very happy with that. Got to be the first mile reps in best part of a year.
    We're very close now..getting there.

(In terms of a race, rather than excelling obviouslyimage )