Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Was the Samir stuff on this thread? Or just in Training? I didn't see the whole saga, but it was quite amusing - the plates and everything.

So breezy Luton track last night - 4 sets of (600/400/300/200) - 2 mins between sets and 1 min between reps. Ugh it was a bugger, went round the windy top bend on every rep apart from the 200. Warm up wasn't great, so first 600 was awful. I think they went (1.48/68/51/33), (1.44/67/50/32), (1.43/67/50/32), (1.43/68/49/32). Quite happy with that due to the conditions. Steady commuting run today, got the new Glide Boost on, so much better than the response cushion..

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It had it's own thread Simon. The best thing, amongst many great things about it, were Dachs commemorative plates. Of course he is too busy running 100miles a week to bother with such things at the moment image. Nice session by the way.

A bank holiday break to Portsmouth (and yes, my question is "why?" as well!) means I had to do my LSR this morning instead of Sunday.  I haven't done a long road run for a while and it actually came out quite well - 15.3M at 7:13 pace all feeling relatively comfortable. Ten minutes quicker than last time I did it in Jan. Always nice to get a long run, full English and a pint of coffee out the way before work image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

great work on the long run Bus, perhaps less good work on the refuelling image

Simon, standard fast stuff from you, classic mixing your distance stuff too...one day will do some of that again!

Week 3 of "full training" continuing, with a classic 10x400 off 60 job.

200s are always fun and easy to smash very hard as it's so short, so 400s you're starting to actually have to hold on a little.

As typical of someone who hasn't done much track stuff for a bit, reps started too hard, then gradually settled. But the last one came off hard enough so all in all good work. Not sure if it got windier from midway, or simply you notice it more the further into a session you're getting

74,74,73,75,76 x3, 75, 77, 73

Didn't have the watch "locked" so managed to mess the recovery up after rep 3, meaning i had an extra 15seconds on that one rep, but probably doesn't make a huge difference overall.
    Clearly rep 9 was the body being "lazy", saving some for a bit last one!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very nice reps SG

You can't beat a full English for re-fuelling - full of protein! There's a school of thought that says plenty of caffeine straight after helps flush out lactic and speed up muscle recovery. Either way, I feel much better for it image

• Options
    Full of the right types of fat too, especially if fried in butter or coconut oil.

Couple of busy days with work and a lovely 7miler in some narrow Welsh lanes. 1st TT last night without a PB which I put down to the 22kt wind.

Has anyone been to Bushy parkrun? We're off there tomorrow and if they have 1000 odd people I'd like to know what the start is. Don't want to be trampled by the 15 minuters or queue up behind the 45 minuters.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not sure Wetherspoons use coconut oil image

• Options
    Tasty reps Simon and SG, you really in miles better shape than you say you are feeling!!

Pain will hopefully ease over time however the news at hospital yesterday is I am likely to now suffer with chronic pain, my worries since the bleed and being warned about post op complications was confirmed. The pain is generally always after I go to the toilet never elsewhere. Some days is bad and stays with me for a long time, others painful but 1-3 hours. Sometimes no pain just bit of an ache. Lots of combos.

So the solution is another load of medication for the next 8 weeks. I have to insert this 1cm into my anal passage twice a day. I go back to tramadol 3 X a day if needed and can re get some movical to keep stools smooth

The good news though is there isn't any damage, the internal wounds have healed and no sign of blood etc etc. So I can pick up my training and it's a case of managing pain. I do feel better and pain should really reduce and over the next 4-8 weeks he said potentially I could fade away completely but I need to be prepared. Of course the pain hasn't improved since day 1 and the last 3 weeks the only improvement are some days it's not a long..

Yoga, diet, exercise, water intake, probably a few more things I really have to work on, he said I've had a rough rough time and hard operation and I'm so young to have this operation I'm at risk of getting them again so careful management to prevent this and help pain is a must

So kicked off with 10km today.. 59:04 - 9:23 m/m
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Hmm Scott, you are being very positive and I suppose physically inside it has all healed up. I'm sure the pain will go eventually. Nice steady 10k there.

Bus - Pompey is ok, lived there for a year and know some mates down there, good pub crawl down Albert rd!

Good session SG, continual improvement! My distance stuff is done and dusted. Realised after Cardiff that it was ridiculous battering my legs over a half. 10 miles race max from now on!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

A bank holiday break to Portsmouth

Was going to ask you and SG if you wanted a social run this weekend but you are obviously away and I am not sure how social SG is feeling.

Cortina: I did Bushy in 2012 and have my parkrun PB from there: 17.55. Just over 900 runners that day so won;t be too different. You need to be up front at the start but the track is quite wide to start with so no issue there. By the time it narrows and turns you should be well spaced. Only tip is that it is up a long sweep of grass and there is a well won track down the centre and if you can get onto this it is much faster, so have a warm up there and check the track an see if you can hit it.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Cortina, PMJ's advice would be spot on apart from they've totally changed the course since he last went!  Now it starts with a much shorter grass section going in the other direction across towards the children's play area. This is hectic with so many runners, so if you've got a decent start on you I'd try and get a position as far up as you can. After the first turn it is still pretty congested. The course proceeds to zig-zag around Bushy Park much more than the old one and isn't as quick I don't think. I think they changed it because the authorities didn't like 1000 or so runners ruing the grass by the main through-fare Chestnut Avenue.

Think I'll be back to Bracknell tomorrow then Shinfield 10k on Monday.  

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice reps SG & SC. I know that feeling, Bus, getting the long run done early leaves you feeling smug all day.

Pete, are you sure you'll be ok having a rest in between your Parkrun and the Shinfield 10k? I will be there watching my wife, unless the little ones are playing up.

Day 5 of no running for me, I feel ready to run but not had an opportunity. I will get out tomorrow for an off road gentle run I expect.

I plan to get on the TT's with you next week Iron, as long as I get a pass. Got to give those new wheels a run image

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

not sure Reg, its a shame Frimley 10k on Sunday is closed to entries now! 

• Options
    Thanks for the Bushy advice guys.

I'm supporting at Shinfield too. If you hang around at the end they give away free cake.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

A bank holiday break to Portsmouth

Was going to ask you and SG if you wanted a social run this weekend but you are obviously away and I am not sure how social SG is feeling.

Cortina: I did Bushy in 2012 and have my parkrun PB from there: 17.55. Just over 900 runners that day so won;t be too different. You need to be up front at the start but the track is quite wide to start with so no issue there. By the time it narrows and turns you should be well spaced. Only tip is that it is up a long sweep of grass and there is a well won track down the centre and if you can get onto this it is much faster, so have a warm up there and check the track an see if you can hit it.

Old Trafford on Sunday, so long run has to be tomorrow. Has been too long since a run with you chaps, but I'd have to say 6 days after your marathon probably isn't the best time to factor It in. You probably don't want to be doing 12-14miles anywhere quicker than 8, and I need to get it in in 7s to be honest.

However, we'll find a summer "team" event for certain.

Shame May Bank Hol has come round a bit too fast. Given a month I'd fancy having a nice smash somewhere, and the first May bank hol used to be the day with the most race choices in the year! The usual debate, was could you do a Bank hol race, Silverstone 10k midweek, and Marlow 5 at the weekend. Just about bargained it once to do the 2 outliers, but with a cursory "don't expect to do more than averagely at both"

• Options

I see a few threadsters get mentions in the London marathon team rankings:

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/british-athletics-aaa-marathon-champs-team-results-provisionally-announced-42263/

Wycombe Rye parkrun this morning: 20:00 on the nose. Aim was to to go at least as fast as last Saturday when I jogged round in MP, today was in fact over a minute and a half faster and only 11 seconds down on my taper times.

Plan is for a fast summer: 1 mile road race, 4 miles in Central Park and the summer 5k series so I need to get down to the track and start running a lot at sub-6 pace again.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, 11th not bad without our fastest runner and with me a bit undertrained and slow compared to last year. We did actually also have a faster woman in 3rd but she ran off the mass start, so counted for the Scottish championship (1st team! image) but not the UK one. Well impressed with my teammates, who are both V50s (or nearly).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Where's the 1miler Phil?

Made a one mile concession on my string of 14s for being a Saturday, so 6.48 13miler will do.

Saw local Gaz bounding out of his flat as I was coming close, and even doing 6.40 pace I wasn't making up any ground. I thought, I'm gonna catch him up and remind him he did a marathon 6 days ago, and maybe calm it down image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

If I was wondering why I wasn't destined to run the Staines 10k, this morning I received a good reason in the post.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/666_1.jpg

Well I'm damned if I'm running with that.

🙂

• Options
    RicF wrote (see)

If I was wondering why I wasn't destined to run the Staines 10k, this morning I received a good reason in the post.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/666_1.jpg

Well I'm damned if I'm running with that.

Just turn it upside down image

So Bushy parkrun this morning. The plan said a hard run with a lap before and after 'steady' - don't hang around.

So a 4km WU at 5/km and a 5km cooldown at 4:48/km sandwiched a rather uninspiring 19:28 parkrun.
    Pacing was bang on the Garmin for 18:59 but I hadn't considered the Garmin over-reading on pace or distance (at 5.12km I suspect the Garmin). At least I know for next time and know I can push harder.
    The silver lining is that is the fastest parkrun I have done since the end of 2013 and along with the TTing everything shows signs of improvement.

I suspect this week will be rather light as I head over to Copenhagen to race at the weekend.

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Where's the 1miler Phil?

Mile is in London, Sunday 19th June. http://www.cityoflondonmile.co.uk Free to enter, entries still open and I can give you a lift if you want.

Cortina, still not a bad parkrun. What was traffic on the course like?

• Options
    Thanks Phil.

Minimal public about. I was #50 of 1100 or so and jumped from group to group during the run.

I had a good start from the front row though first half a km or so was interesting as we went through the molehill field and the usual optimistic runners got underfoot.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, you are "a" beast, in running terms, if not "The" beast, so perhaps it's a good fit?

Iron/Corts, nice pimping. I wanna see a sub 19 before Pete records his next 23 18.40s though.

Philly, interesting Mr Sparkle. Could be worthwhile. And being free probably makes sense to sign up anyway, in case entries shut before I've spent weeks deciding?

Even for a master of playing stuff down like me, there is no other goal to reasonably select than sub 5? Right?

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Even for a master of playing stuff down like me, there is no other goal to reasonably select than sub 5? Right?

All the calculators say sub-5 should be on for you, interesting exercise to see if you can turn it out. A 5 minute mile is a 9.4x 3000m and you have to practice to get it right: too fast at the start and you burn out, too slow and you are left with a sprint finish too late. May be worth a midweek visit to Watford over 1500m.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice PR, IC & PMJ.

A thread 1 mile race?

Did my first run today, was't great. Calves are a bit sore still. Went out last night and had to leave the car in Wokingham after a few drinks. Was a bit too far for a first run but had to go and get the car.

• Options
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

Nice PR, IC & PMJ.

A thread 1 mile race?

OK, as long as we can ban Dean.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

Nice PR, IC & PMJ.

A thread 1 mile race?

OK, as long as we can ban Dean.

I'm up for that. Dean can bring the recovery beer.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Still no running for me.

Four weeks now. Haven't recovered to the stage where I can walk without limping yet, so this I predict is going to wipe out another summer.

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Shinfield 10k today. Nice day for it and good conditions. Got of to a solid start in about 3'45's for 4k then the hills start and next 2k took over 8 which wasn't great. Field quite spread out by now but a guy who looked a v50 was on my shoulder and stayed there till 9k then edged ahead. Clung to him and we both did 3'30 final k but did him in the sprint by 1 second (though he was ahead on chip). Anyway all in vain as Sandhurst guy who is very good in xc must have just turned 50 and was nearly a minute ahead! Finished in 38'00 so a tad annoying not to get into 37'xx territory but still very pleased with the result. Oh and Bracknell pr Saturday in 18'55, tough course so again happy with being the first v50 to ever get sub 19 there. Looking forward to a beer or two watching Leicester clinch the league without playing tonight!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well done, Pete, I did give you a shout in the final sprint.