Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Promising stuff Dachs. What's up next for you?

Dean/Scott - I can do 400m that fast. When I'm on my bike. On a steep down hill image

SG - that work routine will soon settle in. Good session that.

Philip - get you, you socialite!

Iron - is this a last big Euro tour while you can then image

Double fell race at the weekend so taking it a wee bit easy running wise, with Mon and Tue off. Double bike commute yesterday in lovely weather for once. Happy with how they came out as a string of segment PRs appeared on Strava and both am and pm average pace were fast (for me!).

Double easy xc commute in the sunshine today.

• Options

Bus, we're off to France for the summer. We had everything ready to pay the € bill in early June then realised we had another month to pay... image

Some nice training and racing going on here.

• Options

Sounds nice Cortina. Get over there while you still can!

Great sessions in there Scott - I did think about you being local, but being on the IOW thought you couldn't just pop over. Coming from Bmth and having rellies in Lordshill, I know Soton pretty well, just not as well as Pompey.

Nice running there Dachs - my long runs are laboured at the moment, god knows how I got the Berlin ones in last year. Dean - I'm sure you will push me into 3rd at least! Wouldn't worry about your 800 time either...I'll try for 61/62 first lap and see if I can do a 64 second lap. Least its going to be a calm night.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Some nice running going on. Dean, Dachs, SG & Scott.

800m definitely seems like a young mans game, I remember 64 being quite normal at school but sounds very fast these days.

I finally got out for a run but disaster struck and my watch battery died before the end. I ran to Dorney lake, which is just under 3 miles and did one lap (5k) at Tempo pace, I think the average was about 5:55. I slowed a little but it was back into a slight breeze for the last mile. 

I jogged out of Dorney for about half a mile, got stopped for directions and would have been annoyed but she was pretty fit sop I let it goimage. Then started another 2 miles at tempo 6:0x for the first and then halfway through the second mile my watch died along with my motivation. Makes me wonder about how much of my motivation to run fast comes from seeing the stats afterwards. Sad but true.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Still sounds like a decent session Red Wang, and a good pace too.  To be honest, my motivation comes almost entirely from seeing the times, apart from my commute where my motivation is not to have to sit on the bus like a pleb.

Enjoy France IC.

Track session last night.  Probably not a great idea to do a track session the day after a tempo, but couldn't arrange the week any other way, so gave it a go.  My intention before I started was 9 x 800, then was tempted by the set session of 6 x 800 and 8 x 400.  In the end, I did a bastardisation of the two.  8 x 800 and 2 x 400.

800s were 2:25, 2:28, 2:28, 2:28, 2:29, 2:28, 2:27, 2:30, then a 71 and 72 for the 400s.  After rep 6, I could feel a blister developing on my sole from the very light racers (Wave Ekiden) I had on, so had to have a bit of a break to put on the Zantes that I had jogged to the track in.  Zantes aren't really a great track session shoe, and I could definitely feel the extra weight, but I guess that was outweighed by the recovery time I had to make the change, at least on reps 7 and 8.  Think two consecutive days in the Ekiden is a bit much, but also think I was wearing the wrong socks for them, need some of those twin skin ones really. It probably also answers the question of whether I should attempt a half marathon in the Ekiden.

• Options
    Thanks guys, feeling things coming together gradually and the KM reps were a notch up from other sessions although 20 x 400 was off 30s and I was running then pretty quick (AV 76s) 10km on Sunday again but the goal will be the 5km focus after in a month / 6 weeks or so, I don't think I'll run much quicker if any than the one last week.

Dean - cracking 400s - Good luck at the weekend, seems timing is right to produce a fast one! Take it out from the front this time!image

SC - how did it go then?!

Dachs - awesome tempo not to mention rapid 800s the day after, 5:2x pace in midst of 10 miler is going some and really in line with 71 like you said and also 32:xx 10km Maybe you were in shape to run near or better than a PB the other day and just things didn't come together, I guess we all know the legs don't work kindly when we want

AG - lol, main reason I go to the gym these days checking for the talent good running

Bus - Good doubling and well done for a few easy days haha! Good luck at the weekend! Sounds heavy!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

Decent running there Reg - I would have done the same tbh with the passer by. Got to be done hasn't it! Really good session there Dachs - was that on your own? Impressive if so  - these times leading to a cracking race very soon.

So last night - was drawn (put) in lane 1 - thought i'd try and hit it and hang on. Didn't feel that great (felt loads more bouncy at Watford last week), but managed to get to the bell in 62.

Probably found the back straight the hardest bit, I knew I was slowing, but managed to keep a modicum of form into the last 100m. I got timed at 2.06.8, but officially 2.07.So not too bad - but I would need to train more specifically for 800m to get down to perhaps 2.04.

Not sure if specific training would be to the detriment of other distances? Anyway that will most likely be my only 800 of the season.

• Options

Strava segments come up here from time to time, have a look at this one. That is what happens when the Tour de France goes through a segment and the KOM is taken by the guy who wins the stage and pulls on yellow. The guy who was the old KOM with a time of 3:51 is now 46th and looking at 2:21 to get it back.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Quick scan read - some ridiculous paces going on as usual!

Fancied one of the 200 sessions from that schedule, so chose the 10x200 off 90secs  rather than than slightly slower but more reps 16x200 off 60secs. 

Slightly alarmed to see some school sports day being set up when I arrived (at 7am-ish), but was allowed to whisk my session out when i got back from the 3mile warm up around 7.30.
    Binned off the strides part, as I didn't know if i'd get to finish the reps...

Clearly a little of that stress pushed things along, and came out
    31,31 then 8x32, for my fastest version of this session.

The second rep actually logged a "30" which surprised me, but afterwards it was actually a 30:98, so counting it as a 31, clearly!

Felt sharp, but then 200s generally do, as it's so short a rep to hold forimage

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

tidy tempo Reg

super fast 800s dachs

things are coming together nicely for you Scott.

SG - are those 200s near flat out?  90secs rec is a long time to have on 200s, unless you are working on form

Simon - nice work on the 800 race...funn you went through 800 in your 1500 in close to that time the other day. 800s are a funny old race. but i agree to peak over 800 you need specific training for it.  im asking for more 800 training now but im getting 1500 stuff.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work on the Simon.

Stunning reps Dachs!

Behave AG image

Good session SG

Not much action for me this week. 3.4M recovery with strides pre-race weekend. Bloody weather forecast is looking dire though - strong winds, constant heavy rain and extensive hill fog image. Makes me wonder whether the 7 hour round trip and two nights in a soggy tent is worth the effort!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

I'll have to follow some of those TDF riders to see what the secret it, a brief look shows me that 4 times the mileage is part of the reason.

We had the interclub TT 10 miles against Maidenhead last night. I shaved 10 seconds off my best 22.34 so starting to edge down towards 21:xx which is my target.We beat M'head despite a certain forumite being a turncoat for the night image

SG - 90 seconds for 200m?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

90secs for the 800 paced 200s (10reps). And 60secs on the 1500paced ones. (16reps) from this plan.

So last time in the initial 6 week plan, the 800 came out 33, and the 1500, 34. And today 32 average for the 800 ones.

Moz always allowed 90secs on the 200s too.

Seems reasonable, 2.08 for 800 is probbo my sort of domain for that, as slow as that sounds (on here at least!) And you're doing 2000m at your 800 pace. At 200metre reps this is entirely doable. But I found last time out that trying to do 5 400s at my 800pace was outrageously impossible. Which is the same total reps as today, and even allowed up to 3min recovery (think i tried 2mins tho)

I could no doubt do say, 4 at 30, but as a non MD runner, there wouldn't be any benefit i could see. Outside of the glory of quoting them later

• Options

Decent 200m reps SG, very swift, although like any distances, you need a good run at 800's - at least a series of them through the summer. As Dean said - you need to really hit the 200's and do fast ones - not like my 30 x 200's where you do them in about 36/37's.(Dean - still unsure about that 1st lap at Eastbourne - 2.15 at the bell meant a 63/72!).

It's funny that generally unless you get really bad conditions for one race - you tend to just get quicker through the summer over 800-3000 if you are consistent with training - almost that for shorter track races you virtually train your body on how to cope with them.

3000m tomorrow in the SAL at Tooting Bec. Kent there too  so I think I'm up against Mr PP again..

Good cycling Reg - enjoy the weather Bus image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seem pretty quick reps if you ask me SG. Tracks are absolutely choked up with schools sports days at this time of year, hard to get anywhere near them.

Handy 800 there Simon.

Day off work today, so cranked out an 11, with 5m easy (including a quick break to have a stand off with a deer), 10 x 200 at mile effort (never bother timing 200s outside a track, there's too much margin for error), 6 x 80m hill sprints and then another couple of miles easy.  Speed coming back I think.

• Options
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I'll have to follow some of those TDF riders to see what the secret it, a brief look shows me that 4 times the mileage is part of the reason.

We had the interclub TT 10 miles against Maidenhead last night. I shaved 10 seconds off my best 22.34 so starting to edge down towards 21:xx which is my target.We beat M'head despite a certain forumite being a turncoat for the night image

I turned up in tri club kit and signed on for my tri club and rode hard (though slower than normal). As far as I knew I was riding for my tri club image

Dachs wrote (see)

Day off work today, so cranked out an 11, with 5m easy (including a quick break to have a stand off with a deer)

Solid work there Dachs. Who won?

Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

It's funny that generally unless you get really bad conditions for one race - you tend to just get quicker through the summer over 800-3000 if you are consistent with training - almost that for shorter track races you virtually train your body on how to cope with them.

I think that is true for any 'short' period of frequent racing. The body knows what to deliver and gets used to the hurt. Training is racing and vice-versa. My summer TT season displays this nicely, as does the winter XC period.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

anyone racing watford in the coming weeks. i might come down for a race

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cortina5 wrote (see)
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I turned up in tri club kit and signed on for my tri club and rode hard (though slower than normal). As far as I knew I was riding for my tri club image

I know, I am just teasing.

Dach's do you stop to do the 200's and hill reps or was it all part of a continuous run?

I had my 3 year old doing hill reps up the hill in Woodford park last week, we ran back down together holding hands and I kind of forgot it was her and realised that we were pretty much running down at adult speed. She said afterwards "can we go down slower this time, Daddy!"

Fair play though, she can shift. It's kind of fun having a child to force into one's favourite sports image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Iron, I outlasted the deer. That hairy bastard had no heart.

AG, I did the 200s pretty much continuously. The hill sprints I walked back down and allowed myself a bit of standing recovery, as you're supposed to do them recovered. It's not really textbook to do them during an 11mile run though.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bmc grandprix for me last night.  1500m  very windy and not really feeling it.  at the start line we are told the pacers haven't turned up yet which  annoying as one of the good reasons to race in these is you know what the Pacers will exactly do.

Any ways a messy start and I go through 400 in about 62 (plan was 65) I'm going to probably pay for that later!  Through 800 in 2.10 ( bang on target)  I work hard on the 3rd lap but feeling leggy.  At the bell in 3.02 ish.  Ok no bad and I remember thinking a 62 should be do-able.  Well I'm not sure what happened, maybe I ran round in lane 8, but even with a sprint finish I cross the line in 4.08.  A 66 last lap. Balls!  But just good enough to leap over younger upstart, Simon Coombes, to 2nd on the uk 40 rankings image

a decent time and probably about where I am in my training but at the bell I thought it could have been so much better.   Coach said I looked tired so a bit of easy running and then some hard sessions coming up.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Ok, I'll break the silence.

Went for a longer run this morning, just over 16 miles @ 6:55. Felt ok.

• Options

Nice one Dean. 4:08 getting quicker and into form, pegging SC back on those rankings he's going to have to step up now image 

That's a solid run  Andrew. Good quality

I raced a wet, undulating 10km today. 2nd (again) to a strong George King whose pretty handy. 34:45  I thought a similar time to Lordshill would be on the cards (34:21) as I've been running ok and have some races in me now but the course was a lot more challenging and solo from mile 1 (which was a bit suicidal @5:05) but I stepped of the gas and pretty much ran controlled tempo 5:40s for the rest feeling good..

Pleased as my biggest sessions have still be small in volume - nothing over 4 miles..The focus will be switching upwards over the next few weeks with the 10km in September but first a real attempt at hitting the 5km PB time in a month or so which I think I could be close to now 

Anal update though now and surprising news with how I've been running and holding up since the operation... I've been posting I'm in pain and then better and stuff but obviously I'm in chronic pain and still not found an exact reason, following visits, more meds and a strict course of applying cream for a while I found a lump after following the plan for 6 weeks, I suspected it could have always been there as it was very tender and now really all swelling had gone and this thing was evolving, so the  check up with the docs revealed I have an abcess in my anal passage which is of course causing distress to my body and the pain. Needing an MRI to see the extent of it and looking for causes, it's probably going to have to stay and be managed as if they operate I could be left with massive chance of infection or even more pain and risk of damage. Discomfort daily but at least I've found the reason. The doctor also told me I do have nerve damage too which is likely to continue pain signals no matter what (similar to people who lose limbs but can have some sensation) Being referred to the pain clinic for some pain management and onto gabapentin. Not a nice drug and will be taking that from anything between 2-9 months to start with. The pus removed on Thursday was not pleasant!

Kinda baffles me how I run sometimes! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Scott , it's not often a race report has a 2nd place finish and a rather thorough anal update. image  Congrats on both!  Hopefully now this abcess has been found you can start feeling a bit better.   Great race too.   If anyone deserves a turn in fortune its you. 

• Options

Scott, it seems you can put up with inordinate amounts of crap (no pun intended) and yet still bang out some solid races. It can't have been more than a few months back when you suggested never running again.

Bit of biking, bit of running. Windy out isn't it.

• Options

Cortina - Funny thing is that my track stuff seems to get better during the summer, whereas my xc seems to waver about a bit, I can start with some good placings in dry races off the speedwork, them slowly get 'stuck in the mud' later in the season.

Scott - good racing there and hopefully light at the end of the tunnel image with the other thing! Dean - yes a bit slower than I thought you were going to do tbh, I'm sure you were looking at about 4.05/4.06 - but we all know what racing is like. I do however claim a training group victory with Mr Tom Mead running a stormer with his 4.06...he did 4.11 at the last Watford image. So a victory of sorts (well not really a victory at all). Regarding Watford - I'll definitely be there on the 27th of this month, and I might do a 1500 instead of a 3000m..I'll have a think. Also, I think i'm definitely going for the Euro masters next year in Aarhus. Need a holiday!

So the 3000m at the SAL on Saturday. Not nice weather, muggy and breezy. Basically went out on 71's behind the Kent guy I knew would win and just tried to stay as close as poss to him. Dropped to 72's and was on 9m pace until the last lap. Went through the bell at 7.44 and dragged myself around the last lap for a 9.03.1. Quite pleased, it's that last lap that's killing me at the moment..needs work.

• Options

10 miles at 10 minute pace (and it took about 2.5 hours elapsed as we had a large social group) and not one deer but several hundred. I needed an easy run and that was it.

• Options
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

10 miles at 10 minute pace (and it took about 2.5 hours elapsed as we had a large social group) and not one deer but several hundred. I needed an easy run and that was it.

I did an hour run yesterday whilst the kids cycled alongside. Of course we had to slow up hills, stop for toilets, do up shoes, etc. However it was easy paced and got the three of us out whilst the Mrs was away.
    10km on the nose and kids slept very well last night.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon - you had me frantically searching for background on this new 40 yr old Tom mead....turns out he is 25 and i misunderstood.image  I was shocked when i was told it was a 4.08.  absolutely convinced it was sub 4.05.  but i must have faded badly until the last 100.   Quick check back to last season and i ran a 4.08 at end June/early july last yr as well and that ended ok.  So im making a few changes and hopefuly get down to the very low 4's asap.   I will probably go for Aarhus as it will be my last as a v40.   Good work on the 3000.  think that will be sub 9 next time out.

whilst we are talking masters, anyone catch Lagats win over Rupp to qualify for Rio. 13.35 over 5000.   aged 41.  image http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bernard-lagat-defies-age-will-be-oldest-american-to-ever-run-at-olympics-045727172.html

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Some eye-watering times on here...!

Solid 800 / 1500s SC and Dean.

Good 10k Scott.

Good sessions Dachs, SG and anyone else I missed...

Cortina - running with the kids cycling.  Can't wait until my 2 are big enough for that - ace excuse for running whilst on holidays!

I had a solid week of training last week. First nearly full week in about 2 months.

600/800/600/800/600/800/600 (3:00 recoveries) on Monday.  Trying to run them pretty flat out.  Never really done that before and it showed.  It wasn't on a track either, so a bit all over the place with consistency.  Was looking for around 2 mins for the 600s and maybe 2:40s for the 800s.  Started out well (/a bit fast) and then faded a bit after the first 2 reps!!

1:56.3 / 2:37.7 / 2:06.1 / 2:49.5 / 2:01.1 / 2:50.1 / 2:01.3

Managed an easy double on Tuesday and then 10x 60s hill reps on Wednesday plus another 30 mins easy in the evening for another double!  Thursday rest.

3rd "session" of the week on Friday with 5 mins easy / 10 mins steady / 15 threshold / 10 steady / 5 easy.  That was hard.  Normally, I'd call my "steady" about 6:25-6:30 and threshold about 6:10-6:15 but I was resigning myself to this being a bit slower because there were no recoveries, it was on relatively hilly terrain and my legs were already pretty tired!  Came out at about 6:34 / 6:24 / 6:37 for the middle bit.

Then 10 miles at slower than 8:00 pace on Saturday morning.  I was going to try and get out for a short run on Sunday too but didn't find the time.  A 44 mile week.  Quick look back - biggest mileage week since w/c 11th April! And plenty of quality too.  Need to try and keep it going now.  Not easy on average 4 hours sleep per night...!!

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I'm currently focusing on shorter distances (1500m-3000m).  Any really good session ideas for developing some better speed from the pros on here would be greatly appreciated!

I'm making it up as I go a bit at the moment...

I do have the ear of Scottish 1500m champion 2015 who gave me some sessions (the 600/800 one was from him), but all ideas / input greatly appreciated!!

I've got a 1 mile race at the end of August which is the current focus, and hopefully a 1500m race the week after.  Only thing I've got planned other than that is a 27 mile relay race with a few club members - that's a bit of fun but we are going for the win!  It's made up of short legs of anything from 1.7 miles to 4 miles, so I'll probably need to run 2 legs up to about 5ish miles (5 members per team).  That will just be used as a hard session.