Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Let me guess Dachs.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/anthill.jpg

🙂

• Options
    Unlucky chaps. Can't have been the best conditions this morning?

Given your new career as a market trader Dachs, maybe a Robin Reliant van???

Right, Saturday jobs and taxi duties done, I am for a short run in the rain......
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yes, just looked at what the humidity is in London today. 89 per cent. That's pretty high, right?

The bloke who won, 12 seconds ahead, has gone sub 32 this year, and 15:14 for 5000.

Maybe not so bad after all.

• Options

That will be why then - glad I didn't drag myself over there then!

• Options

High humidity and high wetness.

Well done anyhow Dachs and Pete. LUUUUUUUUUVERLY TOMS!

I also have a company car. I have spend a lot of time on the phone to HMRC this week trying to unravel the mess. It's only been 2 years.

• Options

You PHONED HMRC and managed to speak to a person???!!!!!!

• Options

I can't see Dachs caring too much about a car, maybe a simple and efficient small family car, citroen or Ford etc.

Nice racing Dachs and Pete, you guys are prolific.

We had the Dorney relays this morning, a relative lie in for triathlon, started at 9 so only had to get up at 6ish.

Format was 3 in a team, all 3 swim, all 3  bike then all 3 run. As a result quite a lot of hanging around. Still it was a short format of 400m swim, 15km bike and 5km run. The run was more like 3 miles perhaps a touch less, my GPS wasn't ready from the off.

We came 3rd overall, including a puncture so 2nd otherwise. I enjoyed the run and there was about a 40 minute rest after the bike.

I'd feared conditions would be awful but the wind wasn't too strong and the rain light. I'd actually thought about having a crack at my PB (16:53) but that was a) ambitious and b) impossible due to the short run.

So although I ran 16:38 it was probably around 17:1x in reality.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

8:00am 10k, sounds like a Sri Chimoy Battersea Park job. A bit too early for some.

I did my HM pb off an early morning start, but then I wake in the early hours so no great shock.

I knew a guy who hated any race starting before 11:00am. But then again, if you are still wandering around town at 3:00am on the piss, I'm not surprised.

Another puncture AG!

Those tri bikes must be like drawing pin magnets.

Must be horrible getting 'a mechanical' in the middle of a race. The bike becomes about as much use as a boat up a mountain.

🙂

• Options

It wasn't me this time, it was my team mate.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Think an early morning half marathon would be better, it's trying to hit 5 or 10k pace from the off that is the killer.

Close-ish AG. Skoda Octavia. Though partly that's my wife's influence, I would have liked something cooler. She wanted an MPV, but I successfully resisted that. Not ready to entirely give up on life yet.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

As a starter, I reckon Dean drives an Audi R8.....

Audi or BMW guy for certain. image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

I can't see Dachs caring too much about a car, maybe a simple and efficient small family car, citroen or Ford etc.

We had the Dorney relays this morning, a relative lie in for triathlon, started at 9 so only had to get up at 6ish.

Format was 3 in a team, all 3 swim, all 3  bike then all 3 run. As a result quite a lot of hanging around. Still it was a short format of 400m swim, 15km bike and 5km run. The run was more like 3 miles .

Has anyone ever made the suggestion to these tri/dualathon type measuring people to, I don't know, make the distance what they actually claim it to be? Or is it the "getting dressed" section in between that messes things up?

• Options

Ha!  Nearly bus.  I had a bmw z3 2 seat convertible when I passed my professional exams (not hairdressing exams in case anyone wants to make that crack image). Then about to swap it for a Porsche but wife mentioned she was pregnant so instead i got a different bmw with back seats as the kids came along.

my current car I decided on a Porsche 911 (midlife crisis, I expect) but I came back with a seat Ibiza.  I doubt there has ever been anyone make that change of mind and decision before but I would rather have the money.  I must be getting old!   probably because I'm not into cars.

dachs, Pete  Shame  about todays races but you have both had a good run recently And sounds like the weather and early start probably took its toll too.

reg. Sounds like a good run at the 5k ish.   Hints at a pb on a faster course

• Options

Dorney is pretty fast, and flat, it's just the not smashing out 10 miles on the bike first that should help with the PB.

When I was younger I wanted flash, fast cars, now I find myself sneering at them whilst I tootle about on my bike.

SG - In this case 1 loop around the lake is around 4.8k so I guess they figure it's not worth the trouble of putting an awkward detour in to round it up.

Does put me in a quandary though, lot's of people wandering around claiming they have just set a 5k PB, do I tell them they haven't or let them have their moment?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tough one, as it's bastardly to tell people they're cheating themselves. I couldn't resist telling my pal he can't bloody take mile reps off his garmin on the track for instance!

Have raced a 10k at Dorney Lake before. I remember 2 laps well, and vaguely remember a bit of scrabbling around outside. That explains that then!

Still sounds a tidy run part for you though

• Options

Dean - I don't think people buy a 911 because they are into cars - more posing image. Good choice on the Ibiza in that case!

AG - good work in the tri. The 40min rest must have helped with the run, but pretty speedy either way!

I won a 10k at Dorney years back, by over a minute margin. At 37:48, it was probably the slowest ever winning time for a 10k I should think! Was bloody windy though.....

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)
    Reg Wand wrote (see)

Format was 3 in a team, all 3 swim, all 3  bike then all 3 run. As a result quite a lot of hanging around. Still it was a short format of 400m swim, 15km bike and 5km run. The run was more like 3 miles .

Has anyone ever made the suggestion to these tri/dualathon type measuring people to, I don't know, make the distance what they actually claim it to be? Or is it the "getting dressed" section in between that messes things up?

As AG says - you get what you're given, and I don't think there is a strict requirement for a distance. In Europe the transition distance is often added to the run so if transition is 200m long your run would be 4.8km.

I survived the swim, posted a top-10 bike (as was the intention) and then minced around the run at HMP lying to myself that I could do this for another 15km.

I had a Pug306 which I exchanged for a Toyota Celica (curvy one, not the current door wedge). I bloody loved that car but the Mrs hated it.

Bus - HMRC seemed to have upped their game of late. Through to speak to the right person very quickly.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The HMRC couldn't have been more helpful when I first became self employed, telling me all sorts of things to claim back on tax.

Two of my customers are former tax inspectors. They said pretty well the same thing which was you can't make any significant amount of money and do anything with it without being liable for tax.

Pretty basic really. A client/suspect having an aspect done on them, might claim they only earn £25,000/annum, but living in a £3,000,000 house and driving a Bentley does not quite add up.

What does add up is a calculation the inspectors make based on material expenditure.

One inspector mentioned some guy who hadn't paid tax for a decade and lived like the aforementioned.

Took the lot off him.

Fun times!

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Must be one of those thankless tasks the taxman eh Ric! Bit like traffic wardens and bailiffs. Although with the right amount of spin, you can make anything look worthy and positive. Like those tv shows about "can't pay, we'll take it away", making bailiffs look like super reasonable guys doing a very worthy job.

Back on tax, always find it interesting when people are contractors and can legally set themselves up as a company. Pay say £100 a month for the privilege, pay themselves  a tiny salary which is minimal tax, whilst keeping the other money in the company, occasionally paying themselves a "dividend" which apparently isn't taxable , unlike a bonus which would be! How do they allow that sort of set up!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

13miles felt surprisingly fresh following yesterday's 350mile round trip. Probably the advantage of the early kick off game, meaning back home by 6pm, eaten and normal sleep pattern kept to.

Around 7dead on the pace. Seems to be around the norm for longer runs these days. Most likely i'm doing better keeping the pace down recently, rather than the transition to the new watch having a different idea on pace than the old one!

Week to decide on whether another parkrun is on the agenda, so if anyone is particularly doing one, that isn't Black park,Wycombe, Dulwich, South Oxhey (!) and Gadesbridge (!) and fancies a little meet up/lift share (if very local!), do let a brother know.

(disclaimer, I retain the right to completely respectfully ignore any suggestions, or just have a lie in instead image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil/Pete, I know Simon mentioned there's a chance to do 2 parkrun events in 1 day, I think that was New Year's day? Aylesbury and Tring due to Tring starting later?

I'd be interested in a double header like that, sounds the ideal way to sample Tring, as a bit of a B effort, with the disclaimer you've done your main run earlier!

Are there other scenarios along these lines? Boxing day/Christmas day etc? Two on one day/chance to do 2 over 2 days?

• Options
    Christmas day parkrun is one opportunity but not all parkruns operate. If Christmas eve or Boxing day is a Sat then you get 2 in 2 days.

NYD is the only double day allowed. Again not all parkruns operate and groups of parkruns work out the best way to maximise a double.

Woodley then running to Reading for the 2nd parkrun is popular. We've also done Pegwell Bay and Margate.
  • Options

I fancy Woodley/Reading double.

• Options

Tring as a second one would be a killer!

You should do Aylesbury SG. 

Went out for the day to Windsor today, so LSR squeezed in this evening. 15.1M, off road. Lovely evening, but a large lunch then nearly a pint of coffee, pint of water and juice and a big cake shovelled down sharpish straight before heading out the door meant for quite and uncomfortable first few miles image

Still slow, but better than last week, and the second half was actually relatively quick.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Pint of coffee Bus?! That would have made for an uncomfortable couple of hours for me with or without an 15 mile run.

Yep SG, Woodley and Reading parkruns are 2.3 miles apart, so simple to jog between them if the times align. Not the best if you're looking for a parkrun pothunt though, both can be quite competitive.

A couple of years ago on New Year's Day, my intention was to win two parkruns in a day. I won Basingstoke, then drove back to Woodley in time, but then I absolutely couldn't be f----ed, so I had a cup of tea instead.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bushy/Kingston is a great NYD double and feels right to start the year at the home of parkrun. Black Park/Upton Court another popular one as well as Frimley/Bracknell/Rushmoor (any 2 thereof dependent on start times). Think Xmas is a Sunday so 2 in 2 days possible this year too.
  • Options

I drink far too much coffee Dachs, and two big mugs before a run is not unusual - just added to all the other stuff made it uncomfortable today! It generally doesn't have any ill effects (short term anyway!) other than making me need a pee more often....

Two parkruns in a day is just unnecessarily punishing if you intend to race them!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

What's with the coffee obsession Bus? Although i have a "mocha" from our free work machine after a run these days. I find that's the only coffee that has any semblance of taste, ie the one that doesn't taste like Coffee image

Interesting on the double parkruns.

Bus, the idea would be to race the first one, and use the second one to rack up another hit! That's why Tring would be ideal as part of a double, as it seems you aint doing a fast time anyway, so might as well half effort it round!

• Options

I've never had a coffee. That's all.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    parkrun 18:44 Bushy Park parkrun # 606 2.2 -1.0 1 Jan 16   parkrun 18:55 Kingston parkrun # 303 3.0 -1.5 1 Jan 16

Never found it much bother running two in quick succession Bus; the above is from this year's NYD double which were 9 am and 10 am (unlike most doubles which are 9 am and 10:30 am) and after 5 or 6 pints when out on New Years's eve. Maybe its just my predilection for races near too each other taken to extremeimage

The reverse was this weekend; no drink the night before, no parkrun the day before, fastest course and the result; ..,. worst 10k time of the year!