Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Back on tax, always find it interesting when people are contractors and can legally set themselves up as a company. Pay say £100 a month for the privilege, pay themselves  a tiny salary which is minimal tax, whilst keeping the other money in the company, occasionally paying themselves a "dividend" which apparently isn't taxable , unlike a bonus which would be! How do they allow that sort of set up!

I think there's a slight misconception here SG.  I am self-employed and although I pay myself a smaller salary and top it up with dividends, the dividends are taxable - they're just not liable to National Insurance contributions.  So, you do pay a bit less, but if your salary plus dividends equals rock star salary, you're still going to pay a shit load of tax.  And, the company is liable to Corporation Tax as well.  I also don't take the piss with the salary portion - it's basically the bare minimum we need to pay our bills and in the first 6 months of my business, it was a bit of a struggle for the company to even afford to pay me that!!  On the flip side, there are plenty of piss-takers, particularly in Aberdeen in the oil industry where I work that have been "self-employed" for many many years, working 5 days a week for the same company but exploit every single loophole / tax break out there and seem to get away with it!

I currently drive a 2003 VW Golf by the way.  It's by far the shittest looking car in the car park, but with 180,000ish miles on the clock, it's still a beast.

Anyway - running.  Good 10k efforts Dachs and Pete.

12 miles on Saturday including over 1,000 ft of climbing in the middle 8 miles - ave. for the run was 7:45/mile.  Not going to claim that as an "easy" run.  It was pretty bloody hot and I was pushing it up the hills and on the steepest downhill I went for it and had a bit of practice running fast downhill!  A touch scary...  Quads still complaining a bit today but a nice 8 miles this morning with the last 6 miles all between 6:42-6:44 pace.  image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image nice one CC.Made me chuckle. Guy left our work recently and told me the details above, so no doubt there his hyped up version, whereas yours is probably a more fair assessment.

Pete, you may well have a gift for non affected times. or may just have run every time ever underpar image. Probably the former.

• Options

SG, as Pete says, Upton Court and Black Park is a nice NYD double parkrun, so park at one, warm up running to the other, one 5k parkrun, run back to where you parked, another 5k parkrun, cool down.

My favorite ground vehicle I have driven was this: basically it is a tractor unit that is supposed to pull a 20 tonne trailer with a 65 tonne tank on it. Get rid of that 85 ton baggage and it is quite nippy.

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/scammell_commander.jpg

My favorite vehicle to control is this: Westland Lynx helicopter. Silly power and speed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/British_Lynx_landing_on_Kearsarge.jpg/300px-British_Lynx_landing_on_Kearsarge.jpg

I have also played with most of the various racing formulas over the years I have worked with various automotive companies so know a few hundred horsepower in a commercial car is a toy variant of the real thing.

• Options
    Always good to hear about a man wanting to control his chopper.....

AG, seriously, you've never had a coffee? I love the stuff, but mostly switch to tea in the afternoon.

I've never done a double parkrun, but would guarantee the second would be shite. Pete- the non drinking explains it!
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I have also never consumed an entire cup/mug/shot of coffee.  I have once attempted to drink coffee and it tasted absolutely awful so I gave up after one sip.

• Options

Bus - I may have had a molecule on my lip, having picked up the wrong cup. The disgusting aroma is normally enough for me to realise before drinking it.

You can imagine how I feel about coffee shops being a tea drinker. Not only are coffee shops incapable of making good cup of tea, they have dragged the price up alongside all these stupid coffee variants.

Nothing makes me shudder more than a fully grown man asking for a 'skinny latte' what a ****. image

Recovery run at lunch, felt awfully hard. Also I forgot spare underwear so I experienced my first commando run. Didn't feel unusual and was better than working in sweaty pants all afternoon.

Why can't coffee shops provide a spoon, what's with the lollipop sticks?

• Options

Jees you lot have been busy writers over the weekend..My input

1. Never owned a car, but passed my test in 1998. Drive the Missus' Renault Megane now and again.

2. Tbe double parkrun. Yes Aylesbury - Tring sorts the men out from the boys New Years day. I did Aylesbury in 17.07, then 8/9 miles run (6.50mm) to Tring and did 19.55. Yes it is bloody knackering

Good racing from Pete and Dachs. I think they are very decent, 8am is obscene and there's no way you can run your best that time of day. My Vets 10k champs thing at the OS was 9am and I did 34.11! Felt like crap.

Similar to a 11am 1500 yesterday at the Eastern Vets final at Bedford. Won it in 4.16, easing down in the last 100 more due to necessity! Won the 3000 in 9.13, 800 in 2.06 and the relay 800 bit was about 2.12 apparently. Decent day, liked my 800 the most, although the 1500 got the highest age grade. My mate Matt Pyatt from Ryston did nearly all the same races and took most of them out, doing a few seconds slower for each race. Usually just see him the same time every year.

I 've applied for the England v40 team in the home xc in Glasgow in November. Might strike lucky.

• Options
    CC82 wrote (see)

I have also never consumed an entire cup/mug/shot of coffee.  I have once attempted to drink coffee and it tasted absolutely awful so I gave up after one sip.

Likewise.  horrible stuff.  mind you there a number of top class athletes that drink a shot of coffee before a race as the caffine acts as a energy boost.

Simon - a good days racing there. good luck on the vest.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I tend to drink a lot of tea before going for a general effort run, but no sugar. Doing that means I have a quite pleasant outing.

If I want a crap steady run or more likely a run with a crap, then I'll drink a mug of  black coffee. At sub maximal paces, the stuff seems to work against me.

However, if I want a really hard run or race, I'll drink the coffee. Seems to act as some sort of pain killer.

The money/tax issue. I'll take a step back thanks.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good luck Simon!

Not surprised you found Tring tough with another parkrun however long before, plus 8-9miles steady and then a tough course on top! No doubt you'd been at the booze the night before too!

My version would be early to bed, with a drive in between, which should ease things! From what i hear, Tring doesn't sound worth a standalone drive, so might as well shoehorn it in!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Dachs, the MO isn't just to pick off bootleg parkruns, it's more doing new ones. I'm sure i'll put Bushy in there at some point, which i believe has had up to 1700 at peak!

Something flat is next objective though. I can't be doing another silly one like Gadebridge for a while!

• Options

That's a grand day out Simon - nice!

Why would you need a spoon for coffee? I agree about the skinny latte, frapuccino nonsense though. Bad enough having to call a proper coffee an Americano just to get the numpties to know what you mean!

What really bugs me is all the fat people you see ordering latte's in pint mugs - that's a pint of milk ffs, semi-skinned or not its just a load of extra calories you don't need!!

• Options

Oh - and did I mention you should do Aylesbury SG image. It is definitely flat!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

What really bugs me is all the fat people you see ordering latte's in pint mugs - that's a pint of milk ffs, semi-skinned or not its just a load of extra calories you don't need!!

Exactly. Plus semi-skimmed isn't good for you. I always ask for double cream in my coffee.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

That's a grand day out Simon - nice!

Why would you need a spoon for coffee? I agree about the skinny latte, frapuccino nonsense though. Bad enough having to call a proper coffee an Americano just to get the numpties to know what you mean!

I never knew what an Americano was. I assumed it was filled with pepperoni and synthetic cheese.
    My objection to the lollipop stick is not on functional grounds. It's simply etiquette, one finds it slightly vulgar. It's called a teaspoon after all.
    Why is semi skimmed milk bad for you?

• Options

Semi skimmed has a lower dairy-fat content and lower levels of VitE & others. Slightly more sugars too.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I had to teach myself to like coffee. It was worth it. I drink coffee at work and tea at home.

There are certainly no lattes in my life, but I enjoy a flat white.

The day I start talking about tax in my leisure time is the day I book an appointment at Dignitas.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I remember he fateful day myself and a young colleague decided to try every type of coffee in the machine over a few hours.

I can only describe it as being  SG post race hype, but x100.

• Options
    Cortina5 wrote (see)

Semi skimmed has a lower dairy-fat content and lower levels of VitE & others. Slightly more sugars too.

ignoring the increased fat and calories in full fat then? image The lower levels of some vits can be gained in other food types to your daily allowance but why take on the extra fat  In full fat?

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)
    Cortina5 wrote (see)

ignoring the increased fat and calories in full fat then? image The lower levels of some vits can be gained in other food types to your daily allowance but why take on the extra fat  In full fat?

It's not extra fat, it's the normal amount. We've been on full-fat milk for some years now. I have cream in my coffee when I can and we have butter instead of some random spread. I quite like gold-top milk too, but only as a special treat.

I caffeine-dosed for a TT earlier this season. No coffee for an entire week then a quad-espresso before heading out, along with some caffeinated electrolytes. Worked out about 300mg of caffeine.
    It wasn't just my sore legs that kept me up that night. The day after was horrible, but not as horrible as the week without coffee beforehand.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I always drink full fat, its the only way to get it when you're wandering round a farm at night drinking directly out of the cows' udders.
  • Options
    Dachs wrote (see)
    I always drink full fat, its the only way to get it when you're wandering round a farm at night drinking directly out of the cows' udders.

Where you're from that is probably perfectly normal behaviour. Reminds me of drinking fresh cows' milk on a DofE expedition. I wasn't well afterwards.

Mrs has piped up saying if any other food was only 4% fat (i.e. full-fat milk) it'd be viewed as healthy by everyone.

• Options

Yep - don't forget fat is good now and it's sugar that is evil (though I can't remember whether alcohol is more evil than sugar if you have more than one unit per month or whatever it is now despite red wine being good for you two months ago...).

It's all bollocks really, but hey ho - eat what tastes good, drink what makes you feel good and run as far or as little as you please. Even if you don't live to be a hundred, then at least you won't have had a totally shite life image

• Options

Today I've had 6 mini gingerbread men, doughnut, biscuits, milky way etc. Not sure my choice of milk is a priority.

• Options

If you are just putting it in your coffee (which I wouldn't be as I drink it black), I shouldn't think there's enough of it to make relative vitamin E levels that important.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

12x400 off 1min today.  Think 1.15 was the marker when i did this last time, whereas 1.12 was for the 8x400 off 90secs.

Today came out 12 reps of 1.13. Probably quickest and most consistent one of these ever. Certainly had to keep the mind focused on the task.

• Options
    Pretty solid SG. I guess you're getting dialled in to the repair now.

Did some tune up intervals on the bike today. It took a few reps to get in to the ball park and then the rest were spot on.
  • Options
    CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice reps there SG!

6 miles @ 7:45 for me this morning.  Nothing exciting.

I've started entertaining the idea of a marathon in 2017...

• Options

Nothing entertaining about running a marathon CC image

How long do you do intervals on the bike Iron?

SG - bloody good reps those! You definitely need to run a proper race or two to make the most of your current form - otherwise you might find yourself injured and miss the chance!!!

Good run for me this morning. Slight variation on my usual 6M to the station. Recently I've been struggling to get much under 8:30 pace on this route, but came out at 7:57 today, which is the first off-road sub-8 for ages, so happy with that! As it was a bit quicker I managed to make it 6.3 and still catch the train image

Shardeloes 10k on Sunday (local off-road job) so hopefully the form will last at least until then!

• Options
    Today was about an hour Bus.

15mims at 25mi effort then 5min spin. Then 5x2 min above 10mi effort off 1min spin. WU and CD.