Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

12x400 off 1min today.  Think 1.15 was the marker when i did this last time, whereas 1.12 was for the 8x400 off 90secs.

Today came out 12 reps of 1.13. Probably quickest and most consistent one of these ever. Certainly had to keep the mind focused on the task.

Steady on SG. This is supposed to be a thread based on training to run faster.image

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Today, I myself went for a run, and decided after half a mile to think about going back. Half a mile later I did.

I have so far had a tin of Guinness Original.

Later I will/might/probably have another, and some red wine.

At this rate of alcohol consumption I'll be running as fast as SC.image.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

don't worry Ric, the 4miles at lunch was a miserable hot affair. Probably not helped by finding some trance album and getting a bit carried away averaging 6.30. Naughty.

Bus, nice benchmarking on yours today

is there any appetite from anyone for a little sortie to the course Aley was mentioning the other week, Burgess? Looks a few miles from Dulwich, so probably a 45min drive job. Could be worth it for a fast one?

• Options

SG: I got the tube to Oval and ran from there...a mile at most. Only marginally slower than Dulwich, and some age group records are actually quicker at Burgess.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG, like the forum pr meet up idea but not sold on Burgess; pig to get to and would be way more than 45 mins for you. Lots better course options imo; Fulham if you want speed, Reading for aesthetics, Maidenhead for decent all round practicaliity.
  • Options

Like Pete I'd do M'head but would never travel to London just for a PR.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Don't see myself parkrunning this weekend as I'm off work sick at the moment.   But enjoy.

• Options

SG, when were you thinking of parkrunning? I am busy this Saturday but free thereafter and would be up for such.

• Options

SG - Why not Aylesbury - got to be the quickest one relatively near? Hope you feel better soon Dachs. Ric - you need to up it mate (the beer)

So hot in the office, can't wait for summer to f**k off now, need to do some mileage. Thought I would look at the Cardiff 10k results. some good low 32's from Colin Snook & Terry Scott which was quite depressing as they are V40 & V45 respectively.

Apparently Terry's favourite month running wise is June. JUUUUNE!!! image

• Options

Terry & June have always gone well together.

I tried a session at lunch. After a hard ish bike in I immediately felt shite as I ran 2 miles to the track. Plan was 3 x (4 x 200) with 200 jog recovery and 4 minute rest between sets. My plan was to jog the 4 minutes as I don't have time to rest.

Pace was supposed to be 800m race pace, so I used my 800m PB from when I was 16! First Set was spot on (35,34,34,35) but second set went down the toilet (35,35,37,38) . I decided to abandon it after that and struggled to run 8mm pace back to the office. 

Too hot and too tired.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Terry and June!

I read somewhere that the original script for that series was found wrapped up in the 'Dead Sea Scrolls'.

SC, beer number one already dealt with.

Oh forgot, five mile run, a job and then 25 miles on the bike.

🙂

• Options

Hope the middle one is not a euphemism Ric....

Was a bit warm at lunch, but also very windy here. I'm playing rounders tonight (don't ask - but why do people in the office assume I'll be good at it just because I can run faster than them? Put the bases a mile apart each and I might have an advantage!) and also racing on Sunday so didn't want to overdo it and kept it low volume. Just 5 x 400m off 200m jog at target 5k pace. All OK with 4 1:22s and a 1:21

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Rounders?! To use Moraghan's quote to me years back, "remember your age" image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

SG, when were you thinking of parkrunning? I am busy this Saturday but free thereafter and would be up for such.

Taking it week by week, but we'll combine for one soon. The only rule (that I've made up) is it has to be one I haven't done.

Lots of people suggesting Aylesbury, which naturally is a decent shout, but I've half an eye on that for a NYD double with Tring. Smash Aylesbury, dribble Tring type set up.

• Options
    Work do SG...it was fun!

Just be aware that Aylesbury will only be fast when its dry. Its mainly old concrete that gets a wee bit slippery in the wet. Once you add in leaf mould, some parts are very slippery. It also floods regularly in winter...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Noted Bus.

I was keeping a half eye on Hanney 5 in "October" as a possible proper road race, having done it in 2009, vaguely remember it as being a nice flat one, and not being a huge step up from 5k.

But it falls on a Manchester trip so it's out.

I suspect a return to road racing is like a return to track/tempo and parkruns. ie, if I wait for everything to feel fine it'll never happen, so need to be prepared to just turn up and do one. Well..when there is something doable!

• Options

Exactly SG - JFDI! 

• Options

Nice bit of unintentional celebrity baiting at lunchtime. Out of a gentle 6 miler at about 8 minute pace and got the first 3 done happily and crossing Hammersmith Bridge when I see a runner ahead. Didn't really pay much attention but noticed I was closing in on him. I pulled close and we crossed a road together and my route then headed left through some bollards and down a straight 1 mile residential road. ahead of me, he turned into the same road and I was on his shoulder. He turned and saw me and I stepped out to pass him but he picked up his pace and soon we were sub-7 pace. Eventually he pulled over and stopped outside a house and I said "giving up now?" and he said he was up for some more. Turns out he is Vassos Alexander who is a radio presenter but has also wrote "Don't Stop Me Now: 26.2 Tales of a Runner's Obsession".

• Options

I love your little tales, PMJ. I take it he did not continue? He also has an Ironman to his name.

Incidentally I find him deeply irritating and yearned for Jonny Saunders to return from teaching. Well I did when I still listened to the radio.

• Options

I read his book on holiday. It was alright. Good job he didn't really take you up on your offer, given he's run a 100k and was training for a 100 miler......

10 hilly miles for me at lunchtime.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I have an almost irrational hatred of radio. Can't stand the bloody random noise emitted.

🙂

• Options

This morning, driving my girls to nursery I tried 8 different radio stations to find some music and they all just had people talking, I was trying to drown out the sound of screaming children.

I really want one of those screens they have in Limos.

Also when a local building firm has the same advert on every 10 minutes do they not realise that I will never employ them purely because they have irritated me so much.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Reg; there's a weird logic into those bombarding adverts; take the Insurance Aggregators; CTM, Go Compare etc. They deliberately bombard the media creating name awareness. Even though its of the type "I'd never use them as they're so annoying" when it comes to a need people do use them as the remember them.

Running wise its still way too hot isn't it. Had to get a session in today as skipped it last week due to a race Saturday and put it off every day this week as too warm. So 10*500's it was at lunchtime in the 28 degree heat. Averaged just over 1'45 and pretty narrow range so that will do, but serious amount of effort and sweat involved to even do that.

• Options

I remember them too and I remember not to use them. Seriously who still phones up 118118 or Moira or whatever the other one is called.

Good effort on the reps Pete. It;s raining now so that just make my run home a lot cooler and I will probably end up just as wet as I did after yesterday's run in the sunshine.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

I read his book on holiday. It was alright. Good job he didn't really take you up on your offer, given he's run a 100k and was training for a 100 miler......

10 hilly miles for me at lunchtime.

His immediate reaction was that he was up for more, but he said he had just done 2 hours and as I was out for another 3 miles we shook hands and he said we should arrange a run sometime. He just broke 3 hours at VMLM this year so I reckon I could take him downimage

• Options

At anything under 26.2M image

I agree he is a little irritating on the radio (par for the course I guess, especially if working with Chris Evans) but he came across as someone who genuinely loves running in his book, so must be alright I suppose!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

After a couple of hours not finding rare birds in Stanmore, I did 35 miles on the bike.

After that I avoided working or answering phone calls about work related matters. I felt like that today.

I'll run tomorrow when due to the rain, no one will expect me to be doing anything.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well done for doing a sesh Pete. It's those 500s again you people tell me about. Haven't ever done 500s and probably won't. 400s or 600s for this guy!

Strange weather for certain. Mid September, and still so warm that it's not even a decision to ditch the top.

6&4 today, will take tomorrow as the rest day, and then parkrun fun sat morn. Still surprised that I've given up my sacred sleep in day so readily!

• Options

Gordon Ramsey seemed to love running and he's a c***. Not that I'm putting Vassos in that company, as you say just irritating.

Commute run home for me, first in a while. The traffic was awful and I felt very smug overtaking hundreds of cars image

Following a quick lunch swim and a ride in I've had a good day's exercise.

• Options

He's a much better runner than Ramsay....

Rain Ric? No one is expecting any tomorrow now, cos the BBC says it's definitely going to pour down image

Sorry Pete - missed your session. Looks pretty tidy in the heat! What's the race? PArkrun double too no doubt image